Unconventional Boss Dinos/methods

FenTheReaper

So, I'm approaching an attempt to solo all alpha bosses without outside help on official rates which means no multi year super breeding lines with hundreds of mutations, and just wanted to hear some thoughts on some less used boss runners than 1k melee 20k hp hatch super rexes/shadowmanes and deinons.

I do have a simple breeding line of deinons that get 2k hp and 400% melee after imprint I should be able to do a good portion of bosses with, but I'd also like to consider more interesting options, and they won't work for everything.

I've seen Mammoths, Chalicotheriums with a few rex tanks, rhinos, stegos and guns, and other mixes.  What odd boss runners do you use or have seen on alpha?  I'm having particularly terrible luck finding good theris, but I have a 9k hp 360 melee before imprint line of mammoths. Considering trying mutagen on them considering I could get similar to good theri performance around 25khp 700+ melee easily with cakes and the boss damage debuff with only a slight decrease in raw damage. I think master controller will probably be the hardest to solo.

8 hours ago, FenTheReaper said:

So, I'm approaching an attempt to solo all alpha bosses without outside help on official rates which means no multi year super breeding lines with hundreds of mutations

My experience of that (and I have played since beta) is It is not possible!.
I have had good experience with beta boss's, and on Scorched I took the alpha manticor with wild tames wyverns - but otherwise Alpha has not been in my reach.

I am currently sat - like maybe once a month cause I have played ark way too much over time - trying to breed some boss capable rex's. But in a realistic short(ish) term: It ain't possible!.

Note I run my own cluster of servers, and so can start and stop as I like, and even restore back to an older version if stuff goes really pear shaped, and it is small tribes settings not real official. It don't help. Alpha Spider on the Island escapes me! By wikkie & comment and etc. the Dragon is way worse than a dodgy spider ....

theris is your best bet. Get em to 20k health, 700-800 or better melee and you can manage it, just make sure you got the yuty and pig and it is possible. Id strongly suggest getting the pig to over 80k in food stat, and instead of rideing the yuty or a fighter, ride the pig and do force healing. It really makes a difference compared to passive healing. 

Also get those theri's about 10 cakes each.......its gonna be close to their weight cap, but if they can manage, it will seal the deal.

22 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

theris is your best bet. Get em to 20k health, 700-800 or better melee and you can manage it, just make sure you got the yuty and pig and it is possible. Id strongly suggest getting the pig to over 80k in food stat, and instead of rideing the yuty or a fighter, ride the pig and do force healing. It really makes a difference compared to passive healing. 

Also get those theri's about 10 cakes each.......its gonna be close to their weight cap, but if they can manage, it will seal the deal.

So how long - number of generation - mutations - did you go to get Theri's at 20k + 700???

19 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

So how long - number of generation - mutations - did you go to get Theri's at 20k + 700???

Those are pretty baseline stats.  Get Theris with 8k hp and around 360+ melee then use mutagen to give the extra 5 levels and breed them together.  after imprint you may be starting at 10k+ hp and 450+ melee.  I've just had terrible luck with them so far.  They all have like 190 or below damage and 4k or below hp pre-tame.  Even when I get a decent one it gets bad rolls into hp and melee.

48 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

My experience of that (and I have played since beta) is It is not possible!.
I have had good experience with beta boss's, and on Scorched I took the alpha manticor with wild tames wyverns - but otherwise Alpha has not been in my reach.

I am currently sat - like maybe once a month cause I have played ark way too much over time - trying to breed some boss capable rex's. But in a realistic short(ish) term: It ain't possible!.

Note I run my own cluster of servers, and so can start and stop as I like, and even restore back to an older version if stuff goes really pear shaped, and it is small tribes settings not real official. It don't help. Alpha Spider on the Island escapes me! By wikkie & comment and etc. the Dragon is way worse than a dodgy spider ....

That's nonsense. People used to run bosses all the time with weaker dinos than today's breeding lines back years ago before they had the stacked mutations.  And unless the bosses targeting the largest tame was removed, Deinons should still work on the bosses without minigame mechanics at least.  There are cheese strats to solo center bosses with one velonasaur and I've soloed every titan with mediocre lightning wyverns.  King titan can apparently be done with forest and ice on beta, then mega mek on alpha solo.  I Could also solo rockwell on ab in beta for 10 levels and then use a phase pistol off the back of a dino if that still works.

7 minutes ago, FenTheReaper said:

Those are pretty baseline stats.  Get Theris with 8k hp and around 360+ melee then use mutagen to give the extra 5 levels and breed them together.  after imprint you may be starting at 10k+ hp and 450+ melee.  I've just had terrible luck with them so far.  They all have like 190 or below damage and 4k or below hp pre-tame.  Even when I get a decent one it gets bad rolls into hp and melee.

That's nonsense. People used to run bosses all the time with weaker dinos than today's breeding lines back years ago before they had the stacked mutations.  And unless the bosses targeting the largest tame was removed, Deinons should still work on the bosses without minigame mechanics at least.  There are cheese strats to solo center bosses with one velonasaur and I've soloed every titan with mediocre lightning wyverns.  King titan can apparently be done with forest and ice on beta, then mega mek on alpha solo.  I Could also solo rockwell on ab in beta for 10 levels and then use a phase pistol off the back of a dino if that still works.

Accepted - maybe I got stuck on running a bunch of Rex's and did not mix it up enough. But my rex's are no good enough for Alpha Spider.

I believe the BroodMother had a rework some while ago to make her way stronger - and as above this one defeats me. Granted I have no taken the effort at the obvious "insect killer" answer, but Rex's  without HUGE breeding stats are not in it.

I did have a dip with some rex's and some deineo's some while ago - and either my stats were no good enough, or I can't drive the mob, or whatever: I still got wasted!

2 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Accepted - maybe I got stuck on running a bunch of Rex's and did not mix it up enough. But my rex's are no good enough for Alpha Spider.

I believe the BroodMother had a rework some while ago to make her way stronger - and as above this one defeats me. Granted I have no taken the effort at the obvious "insect killer" answer, but Rex's  without HUGE breeding stats are not in it.

I did have a dip with some rex's and some deineo's some while ago - and either my stats were no good enough, or I can't drive the mob, or whatever: I still got wasted!

Did you keep the rex out of the broodmother's attack range so she didn't hit the deinons?  If you really want good stats, go to gen or gen2 and try tek dinos.  I've found it relatively easy to get them starting in the 45-50 point range on hp and melee with those extra levels.

8 minutes ago, FenTheReaper said:

Did you keep the rex out of the broodmother's attack range so she didn't hit the deinons?  If you really want good stats, go to gen or gen2 and try tek dinos.  I've found it relatively easy to get them starting in the 45-50 point range on hp and melee with those extra levels.

I have a tek rex line currently at like (out of egg) 10k HP and 500 melee. First caught the parents on Valguero like 2 or 3 years ago.

But your comment around micro manage the attack squad is probably what is escaping me - I have NOT tried to mob the boss w deinio's and keep the big boys a bit out of range .... Tactics - which clearly I have not learnt over all the years LOL Thanks! I will give this a dip when I get the desire for ark again!

Or maybe I read that all wrong ...  Whistle attack and have done. Yeah maybe the deinio's get in front cause they quicker, and therefore get wasted ... So other way around - put rex's first & then the hook clawed killers ....

Either way worth a dip ...

2 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

I have a tek rex line currently at like (out of egg) 10k HP and 500 melee. First caught the parents on Valguero like 2 or 3 years ago.

But your comment around micro manage the attack squad is probably what is escaping me - I have NOT tried to mob the boss w deinio's and keep the big boys a bit out of range .... Tactics - which clearly I have not learnt over all the years LOL Thanks! I will give this a dip when I get the desire for ark again!

Just bring in one rex to command from and the rest Deinons.  Stay back and use the rex's hp and dps to protect itself from mobs and the island bosses should get blocked by the deinons trying to run at you to hit you.  If you stay out of range they should never touch the deinons.

13 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

sadly my run was on single player, so I did not mutate or anything. It was literally a single breed run on two wilds till I got the stats, then I imprinted. That was it. I can run all alpha bosses with them. I will give you a heads up tho, alpha spider is "supriseingly" tough even on SP. So because your on official, you may try to get a few melee mutations or health mutations in.

One unusual tactic for the broodmother is to use a kangaroo to hop up to a specific mushroom, and then simply shotgun her. As long as you have a good shotgun and enough ammo, it is an easy tactic.  The center boss also has a ledge you can kangaroo jump up to and shoot from. 

For the forest titan, all you need is one good stego (or bring two for mate boost). For some silly reason the stego's impale attack, which usually only works on small creatures, will work on the forest titan.

Archived