Jump to content

leveling up my rexes starve a few of them?


Recommended Posts

I unpodded a boss army and reveled in leveling up, put like 30 points into hp on some of them, they looked so bloody! Seeing all the blood it occurred to me they would need food to heal. So I checked the feeding trough and there was freaking tons of meat... turns out not enough though because two (out of like dozens) starved. Freaking crazy game mechanic to have leveling kill your dino right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

... put like 30 points into hp on some of them, they looked so bloody! Seeing all the blood it occurred to me they would need food to heal. So I checked the feeding trough and there was freaking tons of meat... turns out not enough though because two (out of like dozens) starved. Freaking crazy game mechanic to have leveling kill your dino right?

The moment the bossbabies are adult I set them up in a corner around feeding trough and start leveling on health. No need to use healers and when fully healed there are the next few levels. After they hit 100k HP (+28 lvls) I pod them, the melee levels don't cause the need for food or healing so can be done anytime.

Never had any issues this way, just don't save up too much levels when doing health.

Edit: Did they starve when you were there or did you leave them?

Edited by MMaas
addition
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MMaas said:

Did they starve when you were there or did you leave them?

I'd logged out for the day after dumping what seemed like an excess amount of meat into the trough, logged in the next day and looked around and everything seemed fine. Wasn't till later I noticed a few deaths in the tribe log, then seeing that all the food had been depleted frm trough, looked around and saw some half empty food bars and had to go on another meat run. Only then on the meat run thinkin DILO, was I like oh duh! Yea well now I know, don't freakin level all the hp at once. At least not with out watching the food.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2022 at 7:15 AM, sjskdjkfa said:

I'd logged out for the day after dumping what seemed like an excess amount of meat into the trough, ...

My advice: If you have anything out of the ordinairy going on (mass breeding/healing) just have a good look at the consumption rate before logging off. Just look at the trough inventory and watch the meat drain away for a minute. Also add a good bonus to compensate for decay since it seems that decay is calculated first when comming back on, before the actual consumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 2:35 AM, MMaas said:

My advice: If you have anything out of the ordinairy going on (mass breeding/healing) just have a good look at the consumption rate before logging off. Just look at the trough inventory and watch the meat drain away for a minute. Also add a good bonus to compensate for decay since it seems that decay is calculated first when comming back on, before the actual consumption.

 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:15 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Yea well now I know, don't freakin level all the hp at once.

I'm a moron. I've just gotten up the courage to unpod two more boss rex, and was thinking okay so you just set em up next to feeding troughs right? (couldn't remember what all I'd said read and learned etc. was to lazy to come find this post)
Well, at least I was smart enough to do as MMaas suggested and sit there and monitor consumption and decay and such.

Important info:
I set a stop watch for 8min, and in that time they regenerated 500hp. That's just not enough!

Here's the rub, with a boss rex needing to heal like 80k hp that would take 80,000* 8/500 min = 1280 min which is 21.3 hours. While raw spoils in 40min and stacks up to 40 so that trough will decay in 40*40/60 = 26 hours. So like unless I get my but in gear and get my tek gen up and tek troughs, this isn't really a viable method. After typing that I realized there's 3 ways to make it viable, either log in and keep restacking / filling the trough, possible put a trough with cooked meat, or just freaking remember next time to only level health a little at a time. Nah time to go tame a Daeodon!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent the last hour gearing up, went out and tamed a heal pig. Brought him back to base and even found a saddle, bright happy feelings!!! for a min.. :(

...sigh...

Plopped him down next to the rexes and cautiously threw a row and a half of raw in his inventory and force fed him about twenty meat, feeding trough nearby too... found the setting "enable passive healing" in the pop up wheel. Set that and went away for a few min. Came back and looked in the rexes inventory, no noticeable change in hp... thought "okay maybe it's just a trickle of healing that i'm going to not notice with out a stop watch," set a stop watch, no change (beyond the ~500 per 8min), hopped on the pig and right clicked on a whim, some words popped up and I think like a green wave went out or something and it was like... allegedly healing nearby guys or somethin, checked rexes inventory's and still no change! Twiddled my thumbs, tried a few other things, got mad and podded everything up.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Spent the last hour gearing up, went out and tamed a heal pig. Brought him back to base and even found a saddle, bright happy feelings!!! for a min.. :(

...sigh...

Plopped him down next to the rexes and cautiously threw a row and a half of raw in his inventory and force fed him about twenty meat, feeding trough nearby too... found the setting "enable passive healing" in the pop up wheel. Set that and went away for a few min. Came back and looked in the rexes inventory, no noticeable change in hp... thought "okay maybe it's just a trickle of healing that i'm going to not notice with out a stop watch," set a stop watch, no change (beyond the ~500 per 8min), hopped on the pig and right clicked on a whim, some words popped up and I think like a green wave went out or something and it was like... allegedly healing nearby guys or somethin, checked rexes inventory's and still no change! Twiddled my thumbs, tried a few other things, got mad and podded everything up.

If you only let out one wave and shut it down right away, its entirely possible you didnt' wait long enough for the first click to set in.   Also, your assumption on the amount of meat that will be needed, and the type of meat were wrong.  The daedon will consume waaaaayyyy more meat, like 10x what you got in there or more AND cooked meat will fill its food bar better than raw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best way to heal with a deadon is to actually take the time to actually use it..... The best food is simple kibble, best meat is to use mutton if you have a sheep farm, but the laziest method is to fill the deadon with random meats per nearby meat run, hop onto the deadon and turn on super healing. Super healing will drain its food stat surprisingly fast, depending on how many dino's you are healing and how much they need to be healed, but will cause the rex's health to be recovered in a MUCH quicker time that just sitting there and watching as they eat full trough loads of meat. Its also faster than force feeding the rex's.

But if your trying to recover the health on 20 rex's or so, you will need to do MULTIPLE meat runs to heal them all up full. It could take up to an hour'ish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I typically do is as follows. First, acquire food for rex trough. This is to prevent them from starveing while you work.

Next, I would go out and gather a rather insane amount of meats. Doesn't matter if its prime, mutton, or cooked.

I would then take 1 rex away from the feeding trough and away from the others, uncryo the pig with saddle, and hop onto it.
{I also want to point out that all of my pigs have >80k food stat}

I then turn on super healing, and watch the rex's health tag slowly rise.

I run super healing until the pigs food stat is fully drained

I put as much meat onto the pig as it can hold, fly away until it unrenders, then fly back.

The pigs food stat will have regenerated as much as the meat in its invetory will allow {raw prime works best}

If the food stat has refilled completely, repeat everything from turning on super healing. However if not full, repeat from putting meat onto the pig and flying out of render till filled again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Its not fun, but its guaranteed to refill the rex's health and without worrying about them dieing.

Edited by wizard03
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SnowOwl (if can have one) is too easy.

Fill Owl and a feading trough with meal, place your rex near, cure with Owl, force feeding to Owl, cure with Owl, force feeding...cure...force feading... and go

(I use in combination with some Deodon in "passive cure" without meal, when I finish to cure the Rexs with Owl, switch off the passive cure and give them some meal)

Edited by CervantesMor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

SnowOwl (if can have one) is too easy. Fill Owl and a feading trough with meal, place your rex near, cure with Owl, force feeding to Owl, cure with Owl, force feeding...cure...force feading... and go (I use in combination with some Deodon in "passive cure" without meal, when I finish to cure the Rexs with Owl, switch off the passive cure and give them some meal)

Agreed, snow owl is best. Heck, I don't even give it any food. Granted, they quit producing pellets, but if your not worried about a gocha farm, then its just spam healing till rex's are full health. Much faster/easier.

That is if you have the ability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

with a boss rex needing to heal like 80k hp that would take 80,000* 8/500 min = 1280 min which is 21.3 hours.

okay self, so if I can play for 4 hours now that's .... 🤔 (brain cells bursting, coffee setting in, come on...)

4h = x percent of 21.3 h

x = 4/21.3 = 18.7%

and 18.7% of 80khp = 15,023.4

So if I unpod some and lvl only 15khp worth at a time I should only need to keep an eye on the trough for 4 hours! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wizard03 said:

{I also want to point out that all of my pigs have >80k food stat}

 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, GrumpyBear said:

its entirely possible you didnt' wait long enough

Tamed the lowest lvl pig I could find cause I don't have that much kibble rn and was 1x rates... later on if having pigs podded and food lvled up and having more patience i suppose i could go for better pigs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Tamed the lowest lvl pig I could find cause I don't have that much kibble rn and was 1x rates... later on if having pigs podded and food lvled up and having more patience i suppose i could go for better pigs.

Good news is you really don't need kibble, and to catch, trap, and tame a deadon is just a simple stone foundation with 4 doorways.....Its a bit tricky dropping one into a small enclosure, so if you wanted to go with a 4x stone foundation with doorways, thats understandable. But as for kibble vs meats, Iv allways went with meats. Granted, Im persistent enough to look for a ovis for the first feed run, but because the deadons absolutely plow through any kind of food you give them, I still needed to find extra meat two or three more times.


Other than that, its a fairly easy deal. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Freaking crazy game mechanic to have leveling kill your dino right?

Further, the better your rex the more likely you are to kill it through leveling which is, in my opinion, even crazier.

I took a low lvl rex (was probably one from a beginner server cause it was like lvl 40 or so) out of cryo storage and pumped about thirty levels into it recently, and since this thread was on my mind I watched it suspiciously, I'm trying to give it away to one of the beach bobs on my server so I really didn't care if it died. I looked at how much health it was getting and it was about 95 per level. So I deemed it necessary to only throw a stack of meat on and came back with two stack of meat, and based on it having a non trivial amount of its food bar drop (I didn't care to measure this exactly) I think it might have starved if left alone with no food but I'm not sure. But I only gave it the two stacks of food and came back in liiiikke.... can't member but maybe like ~30min? and it was healed and full.

So definitely a whole different ball game than the boss rexs who get like 16 hundred hp per level and the even better ones (I imprinted) I think were getting over 2k per level. It's like... the better your rex the more punishing leveling is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Further, the better your rex the more likely you are to kill it through leveling which is, in my opinion, even crazier.

I took a low lvl rex (was probably one from a beginner server cause it was like lvl 40 or so) out of cryo storage and pumped about thirty levels into it recently, and since this thread was on my mind I watched it suspiciously, I'm trying to give it away to one of the beach bobs on my server so I really didn't care if it died. I looked at how much health it was getting and it was about 95 per level. So I deemed it necessary to only throw a stack of meat on and came back with two stack of meat, and based on it having a non trivial amount of its food bar drop (I didn't care to measure this exactly) I think it might have starved if left alone with no food but I'm not sure. But I only gave it the two stacks of food and came back in liiiikke.... can't member but maybe like ~30min? and it was healed and full.

So definitely a whole different ball game than the boss rexs who get like 16 hundred hp per level and the even better ones (I imprinted) I think were getting over 2k per level. It's like... the better your rex the more punishing leveling is.

Even the newer tames from Gen 2 take more food to raise than previous animals released.   Maewings eat more than gigas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...