New Base Blueprint Mechanic

Dodge2134

I was building a base the other day and I thought that it would be extremely useful if you could have a system that would allow you to copy the overall structure of your base (foundations, walls, windows, and doors) and then let you save it as a blueprint. You could use it to avoid snapping issues and/or terrain collision in later development of the base. You'd still have to craft all of the walls, foundations, and ceilings but instead of just placing them, you'd use the blueprint to craft a completed base, and place that instead. 

Open to suggestions for edits

Just wondering, why would you build the same base over and over again? As far as I can think of, this only caters to server hopping troll tribes or people selling bases to beginners.

For bigger bases you will run in to clipping issues if not buildin on exactly the same terrain. Personaly I see the development of a system like this not worth the effort unless terraforming is part of the new game. Even then, I think the bugs or glitches of this system will not save you any time at all.
More pre-fab modules is likely more efficient to implement and use, as well as lighten the cpu load.

Nice Idea.

Something else i would like to see: free building tiles.
But just for planing a building.
Build, click finish, everything goes into a ghost/schematic Mode. Then you have to fill in the Mats.
Everything better then place, wrong snap, pick up/demolish, place, wrong snap... etc.

And please, options to build proper fences and stuff like that. No stair mode or fences that are going to stupid hights (with fence supports). Let us follow the terrain seamlessy.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:10 AM, MMaas said:

Just wondering, why would you build the same base over and over again? As far as I can think of, this only caters to server hopping troll tribes or people selling bases to beginners.

For bigger bases you will run in to clipping issues if not buildin on exactly the same terrain. Personaly I see the development of a system like this not worth the effort unless terraforming is part of the new game. Even then, I think the bugs or glitches of this system will not save you any time at all.
More pre-fab modules is likely more efficient to implement and use, as well as lighten the cpu load.

it would be more for like vague rp, or if you just have a good started base design and (like me) you start fresh on new servers constantly. Or Arkpocalypse servers. 

Terraforming would be nice, but only to a certain extent. 

6 hours ago, MMaas said:

Unfortunatly they need to change from Unreal to Unity for that it seems. If only terrain clipping would be less riggid it would already be an improvement!

I was thinking that they could have it set so if you can see even a tiny portion of the corner on a build, then the rest could be in the terrain. And adding some of S+ features too (rather than items, maybe just the pickup gun). Or just making the pickup timer a bit longer, and have the ability to place pillars on corners.

16 minutes ago, Dodge2134 said:

I was thinking that they could have it set so if you can see even a tiny portion of the corner on a build, then the rest could be in the terrain. And adding some of S+ features too (rather than items, maybe just the pickup gun). Or just making the pickup timer a bit longer, and have the ability to place pillars on corners.

If it would be all the edges above terrain it would be reasonable already or if that's too much to ask at least let us lower walls more in to the ground. That timer can be pretty hars indeed, combined with rubberbanding issues.
Another thing that is suggested already many times is the double function of certain buttons on controlers, when in building mode those should be limitted to building. And snappoint cycling... And...

Wonder if the game will ever be out of early acces ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2022 at 11:48 AM, Griffin998 said:

If only Wildcard actually listened like that :D.

They did listen! They added two of the features I suggested (this one, and a sideways weapon progression mechanic). And as far as I've seen, I'm the only one to have suggested this stuff.

Now it comes down to if Wildcard will hold true to the 2023 release date lol.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, Dodge2134 said:

They did listen! They added two of the features I suggested (this one, and a sideways weapon progression mechanic). And as far as I've seen, I'm the only one to have suggested this stuff.

Now it comes down to if Wildcard will hold true to the 2023 release date lol.

I think you got a little lucky landing on something that was already fully in development long before the posting of this suggestion.

57 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I think you got a little lucky landing on something that was already fully in development long before the posting of this suggestion.

That's likely very true. But as they say, "Great minds think alike." /j

I would not surprised if they were already working on this stuff. They're pretty good ideas for a survival sandbox.

• Volunteer Moderator
21 minutes ago, Dodge2134 said:

That's likely very true. But as they say, "Great minds think alike." /j

I would not surprised if they were already working on this stuff. They're pretty good ideas for a survival sandbox.

I'm sure they've been working on it for a long time. It's not the first game to do it. Fallout 76 does this as well for example. Has for a long time.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:11 PM, Griffin998 said:

Huh. Interesting. Honestly, WC seems to have an odd reputation for not listening to players. Maybe we're all just wrong, and WC is actually amazing at listening to their players.

They have changed direction multiple times over the years, introduced certain things, dropped other things due to player feedback - I've been here since the beginning, I haven't always agreed with them bowing to player pressure but they definitely have. As someone who came from WoW, believe me they most definitely do listen and don't have that reputation at all.

20 hours ago, Luizza said:

and don't have that reputation at all.

Interesting. It's just that I've heard oodles of other players complaining about WC not listening. I guess us ARK players have it easy, huh? To be fair, at least WC aren't like Mojang. They've got that one creature vote and a bugs forum, but I don't think they have anything like this.

Cheers, good luck, and happy ARKing!

Archived