Hide question, again.

wizard03

So Iv been having the same problem as before.....Stupid high quality BP's, requiring insane amounts of resources, and the worst one being hide, ON THE ISLAND ONLY.

I know that Ovis is probably the best hide production in the map, and if you level up health, it gets pretty good, but the problem is what is the best way to harvest it? Iv seen video's of the chainsaw being the ultimate go to with all 105 lvls in melee. {Just like crafting skill for when it comes to making those BP's}

But what is the best thing to harvest that hide with on the island without chainsaws?

Sword? Hatchet? Metal or stone? A high leveled theri? 

I know that a lot of people are going to say giga, but I do not have enough time to get lucky enough to get a giga, breed, and imprint. So thats kinda out of the question.

Also all the extra meat is not necessary. =/

20 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

Ovis for hide? Do they not produce pelt instead of hide.

Cowgirl
I think they do both.

This is correct, if you pump up health, they give more hide and mutton. If you pump up melee, you can shear more pelt with the siccors.
High level health ovis produces insane amounts of hide compared to other creatures. The best way to do it is to tame a couple high level ovis, breed em, imprint babies, and then cryopod the offspring until needed. Uncryo them, put their extra levels into health only, then slaughter and harvest them. Again, best method is a mind wipe and all points in melee with a chainsaw.

The problem is the chainsaw engram is not on the island map. You cannot craft it until you get into scorched earth. I was wondering what the next best thing is.

18 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

therizino or a saber.  zino bite attack only gives hide, no meat from what I'm reading here.

I have done that before, but same issue. Unimpressive results. Granted just getting a saddle here or there for tames, either primative or whatnot, is achiveable. But in single player default settings, every single blueprint I find is ascendent level. Which sounds great {if you can find the right one.} but posses a problem when you start crunching for the boss fight. Last time I did an alpha boss's run, we had a theri saddle BP, but the requirements was 700,000 hide to give all our fighters a ascendent saddle. Sad part is, we could actually deal with the other requirements. Metal, fiber......we actually had the ability to cook up all the other ingredients, but the requirement for all that hide was insane. The worst part is, I was actually working on that issue before we even had a BP for it. I had 247,000 hide in reserve.
This run around, Im sure Ill have the same problem, but when it comes time for the tek cave, Id like to have at least one or two of the rex's with an ascendent saddle

18 hours ago, Vesdied said:

If you're mid game the best option is either a thyla or a theri, but here's a list just in case https://www.dododex.com/item/13/hide

I have been doing some research on the thyla. Tree kitties seem to got something going for em, everyone who compared them to sabretooth tigers and even dire wolves seem to always come out with a lot more hide than the other creatures. Yeah the theri's don't harvest meat with the headbutt attack, but if they harvest less than the thylo, Im thinking my love affair with the Thylacoleo is going to be exploited heavily. I do have to admit the last time I went through the cave of the devour, I noticed I had accumulated 1000 hide, and I dropped the thylo's inventory at least once. o.O

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

I have been doing some research on the thyla. Tree kitties seem to got something going for em, everyone who compared them to sabretooth tigers and even dire wolves seem to always come out with a lot more hide than the other creatures. Yeah the theri's don't harvest meat with the headbutt attack, but if they harvest less than the thylo, Im thinking my love affair with the Thylacoleo is going to be exploited heavily. I do have to admit the last time I went through the cave of the devour, I noticed I had accumulated 1000 hide, and I dropped the thylo's inventory at least once. o.O

thing with thyla vs a solo dire wolf is their base damage doesnt compare, mate/pack boost the direwolves and you'll probably see a larger gain. i havent done the math on that though since we use capped giga's for pretty much everything.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I have done that before, but same issue. Unimpressive results. Granted just getting a saddle here or there for tames, either primative or whatnot, is achiveable. But in single player default settings, every single blueprint I find is ascendent level. Which sounds great {if you can find the right one.} but posses a problem when you start crunching for the boss fight. Last time I did an alpha boss's run, we had a theri saddle BP, but the requirements was 700,000 hide to give all our fighters a ascendent saddle. Sad part is, we could actually deal with the other requirements. Metal, fiber......we actually had the ability to cook up all the other ingredients, but the requirement for all that hide was insane. The worst part is, I was actually working on that issue before we even had a BP for it. I had 247,000 hide in reserve.
This run around, Im sure Ill have the same problem, but when it comes time for the tek cave, Id like to have at least one or two of the rex's with an ascendent saddle

Dang, I knew thylas were good but never tried it out myself. Glad I could help :)

You said theris didn't impress you but just asking out of curiosity how was it spec'd? It's been awhile since I've done it but I remember using a delicate harvesting theri's alt attack on the island to get crazy amounts of mutton and pelt back in the day when my tribe used to give a hoot about taming wild gigas. Also when we started out on new maps and needed hide (or fiber) in a pinch we always had a delicate harvester theri around. If you were doing this and it was still not working out then maybe they nerfed it or something but those are my experiences, hope it helps.

14 hours ago, Muucow said:

thing with thyla vs a solo dire wolf is their base damage doesnt compare, mate/pack boost the direwolves and you'll probably see a larger gain. i havent done the math on that though since we use capped giga's for pretty much everything.

Well if I was worried about it that bad, Id also run with the mate boost and a yuty screaming at me through the whole cave run. I might do a compare and contrast at the base with tamed ovis, but as for running around, Im thinking Ill just mount up on a high level imprinted thyla.
Need metal? Anky and argies as per norm, but Ill travel there on a thyla snarfing everything along the way. Meat run? Thyla. Need org poly? Well, Ill see about that. Normally I use an argy cause of speed and they harvest enough on a penguin run for me to be happy with, so if they can compare in that department, maybe I can increase my hide haul as well.

9 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

You said theris didn't impress you but just asking out of curiosity how was it spec'd? It's been awhile since I've done it but I remember using a delicate harvesting theri's alt attack on the island to get crazy amounts of mutton and pelt back in the day when my tribe used to give a hoot about taming wild gigas. Also when we started out on new maps and needed hide (or fiber) in a pinch we always had a delicate harvester theri around. If you were doing this and it was still not working out then maybe they nerfed it or something but those are my experiences, hope it helps.

We literally used the boss fighting theri's to test with. XD First, 1500% melee. And then all the harvesting levels pumped up in power harvesting and delicate harvesting during different tests. Then we tested all the attacks. Slash, tickle, and then headbutt......Its kinda funny, working with a controller you sometimes forget about any extra attacks due to them using the joystick button press, and I wasn't sure why it was supposed to be one of the best hide farmers until I finally tried it. No extra meat and such is a really nice feature, but I think I got the exact same as an argy or rex or something. So it was a bit of a bummer considering.

Once we seen the hide requirement, I started doing small independent research myself, as well as asking around on what the best way to farm hide was. Hence why this is part 2. However the last time I was asking which creature paid out the most in hide, not what collects the most better.

Archived