I was thinking that cheaters can locate players and vaults.

MagnumBonum

On 5/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, MagnumBonum said:

Some hiding loot locations are way too easily found.

The simple answer of turning down "render distance" for stuff (like trees and leaves and etc.) on a client machine is the fist way to "cheat". After that is fiddling with .ini settings to remove a bunch of that same render stuff. None of which is really a cheat - because maybe your machine cannot deal with the complex rendering for a "full game" experience - so WC allows it to happen.

And then one gets to real cheats .....

Very difficult (from a victims POV) to draw a distinction.

My personal (like a year in the past) experience is there is no where to build an undetectable base. Overground the .ini "hack" will betray you, and underground (in a cave or whatever) is too well known.  It is (was) possible to have a cache of stuff stowed well underwater that you can kick start from - but base or really significant kit - No!

3 hours ago, MacoLa said:

By my opinion any type of altering game files is considered cheating, correct me if i am wrong.

True, but wildcard allow it. INI editing is ridiculous, being able to completely remove leaves/bushes, make water completely clear, remove any torpidity/plant effects, make night/caves into daytime and all the other 'tweaks' is just terrible practice from a developer. Even gamma removes the needs for any lights or torches and makes the night no threat at all.

7 hours ago, MacoLa said:

By my opinion any type of altering game files is considered cheating, correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, but not by WildCard's definition. You have to play the game you have, not he game you wish you had.

Obviously you have every right to complain to WildCard for failing to punish cheating more effectively, or failing to build their game in a way the prevents cheating via the .ini file, but in the meanwhile the simple fact is that WC won't take enforcement actions agains .ini cheating. You have to decide whether that's important enough to you to leave the game or whether you're willing to play in spite of their decision.

I was looking into this a little just to see what is out there (as a disclaimer, i browsed online only, i have not purchased or used any cheat) and some of the cheats are crazy, one in particular removed all textures so the world was wireframe with every enemy highlighted, nothing is hidden. The aimbots can be changed to hit certain body areas, there are speedhacks, all sorts of things. Honestly, to stop these on live servers would be a very big job and i don't think wildcard will be willing to spend the resources on it unfortunately especially whilst developing the next installment which im sure we will see in a few years.

Archived