Older saves not possible to use, need help!

So i invited a buddy to play Ark with me and to set up a Non-Dedicated Server i would have to delete the files from my current one. I thought that it was time to start over so my buddy could enjoy the game from scratch and not from a 90 hour session with me as lvl 98. But he lost interest in just 2 days and left me with no experience and no character.

I have managed to retrieve an old save, multiple actually but they are not possible to use, but my character is sadly gone, if it isn't possible to fish him out of some system that is.

Because of limitations i am not allowed to send my (TheIsland_28.08.2021_22.40.44.ark) file which is the last save i ever managed to keep. Hopefully that is fixable aswell as finding out how to retrieve my lost character.

1029771677.arktribe 76561198263004118.arkprofile 76561198263004118.profilebak 76561199034363469.arkprofile

• RockyBrown changed the title to Older saves not possible to use, need help!
  • Volunteer Moderator
12 hours ago, RockyBrown said:

Non-Dedicated

As the host of a non-dedicated session, your character is being saved as LocalPlayer.arkprofile. Restore that profile if you have a backup, or rename the one that matches your Steam ID if you have it. Otherwise, you could always create a new character, give yourself some XP, and claim back ownership of your tribe using admin commands.

You can view my TheIsland save file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z47rdy8zyiqxs5e/TheIsland_28.08.2021_22.40.44.ark?dl=0

Sadly, i  do not have any other files than the ones i have posted. I have also tried to see if i could reset my pc to a week back in time before April 25th. But i've had no luck so far but iwill keep trying if it's possible somehow.

3 hours ago, Larkfields said:

I've just tried starting up your .ark file, but it was taking a long time to start and the process was consuming 90GB RAM.
I had to stop it because I have other stuff running on the PC 😞

If I get the chance, I'll try starting it up on a different PC.

Thank you so much for trying to help me!

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, RockyBrown said:

That is not a valid ARK save but an asset for a totally different game. This is the header of your TheIsland_28.08.2021_22.40.44.ark file:

5ds6qPF.png

And this is the header of an actual ARK save:

vTNUOUR.png

As you can see, it's totally different. More precisely, your "save" appears to be an USSR variant of the MiG-19S (Germany) for the game War Thunder. Here is the header of a random asset for that game (yk_27.dxp.bin) :

XcG3Ics.png

Looks pretty familiar, right?

7 hours ago, Larkfields said:

I've just tried starting up your .ark file, but it was taking a long time to start and the process was consuming 90GB RAM.

Likely because ARK does not use an hex signature and tries to read huge chunks of data based on erroneous sizes/offsets extracted from an invalid save.

10 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

That is not a valid ARK save but an asset for a totally different game. This is the header of your TheIsland_28.08.2021_22.40.44.ark file:

5ds6qPF.png

And this is the header of an actual ARK save:

vTNUOUR.png

As you can see, it's totally different. More precisely, your "save" appears to be an USSR variant of the MiG-19S (Germany) for the game War Thunder. Here is the header of a random asset for that game (yk_27.dxp.bin) :

XcG3Ics.png

Looks pretty familiar, right?

Likely because ARK does not use an hex signature and tries to read huge chunks of data based on erroneous sizes/offsets extracted from an invalid save.

Well, if that's what is left of my old "Ark" files i think i have to close the case as a lost cause at this point.

Thank you  for the help! I can always start over again despise the hardships. Lesson learned!

Archived