Official ARK Wiki - Feedback

StudioWildcard

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not sure why my post was moved here as a comment to a wide open landscape where none of what we are all saying is related or correlated. that should be changed. how can I see at a glance something I might agree with that someone else has already noted.
also Im still gonna say after 5 years I should not still be naked in this forum. I have logged 6600 hours in the game and come here to show support and ask questions. its kind of off putting to keep being labeled like a babe in the woods.

• Haha 1

• Volunteer Moderator
21 minutes ago, PeachSalad said:

not sure why my post was moved here as a comment to a wide open landscape where none of what we are all saying is related or correlated. that should be changed. how can I see at a glance something I might agree with that someone else has already noted.
also Im still gonna say after 5 years I should not still be naked in this forum. I have logged 6600 hours in the game and come here to show support and ask questions. its kind of off putting to keep being labeled like a babe in the woods.

It was put here so the people running the actual wiki can address your complaint.

The forum software doesn't care at all how long you've played the game. It ranks based on activity here. 

On 6/13/2023 at 4:50 AM, PeachSalad said:

ark.wiki.gg is demanding to allow collection of personal information. do not use it.

all it is doing is notifying you about the presence of Google Analytics which are used to see which pages are seen most, what people search for on the wiki etc.

this is less of information then any other platform is gathering from you

it is not even used for personalised advertisements like other platforms do

if you have any more question just tag me and i will try to answer them

9 hours ago, genie45 said:

all it is doing is notifying you about the presence of Google Analytics which are used to see which pages are seen most, what people search for on the wiki etc.

this is less of information then any other platform is gathering from you

it is not even used for personalised advertisements like other platforms do

No, it's notifying us that it does a good bit more than that.

In addition to third party stuff (like Google Analytics, Steam, Youtube, etc.) they also gather information for their own purposes. And, like so many sites, they're painfully vague about what they collect and what they use it for.

For example, "We automatically collect and store certain types of information about your use of the Sites or Games." "Certain types" is one of those catch phrases that means, "We're not really telling you anything, but we're pretending that we're telling you something. If you don't question us it can mean whatever we want it to mean."

Or, "We might receive information about you from other sources..." So, anything from anywhere, if they feel like it because again they're pretending to tell us something but in truth haven't told us anything about what this really means.

Having said that, their policy appears to be pretty standard, their policy includes the same lack-of-information that we get from nearly every other privacy policy, because our privacy laws are garbage. And, to be fair, most people give away tons of information about themselves on the internet without thinking twice about it. The chances are likely that @PeachSalad(and most other people here) gives away much more information on the internet than wiki.gg wants. And it's probably true that that Freedom Games  & wiki.gg are not doing anything unusual or insidious.

However, it's wildly inaccurate to claim that they're only telling us about Google Analytics. Their policy makes it very clear that there's a lot of data going back and forth between them and third parties, just like most other web sites do.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:50 AM, PeachSalad said:

ark.wiki.gg is demanding to allow collection of personal information. do not use it.

go back to fandom than. If you ever managed a website with analystics and deal with anything like eu gdpr, you should know how it works. youtube and other 3rd party cookies are automatically set from embedded like youtube videos. wiki.gg company cookie page information isn't only meant for ark.wiki.gg but also for other wikis and real games. analytics isn't adsense, they are 2 different things.

if you are in doubt, press f12 while browsing ark.wiki.gg without adblocker&antitracking and look ad the storage/cookie debug info.

and again if you don't like it don't use it. or even better go back to fandom and enjoy their meaning of privacy.

Edited by darkradeon

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying! These websites like Freedom Games and wiki.gg have those annoyingly vague privacy policies. They're like, "We collect certain types of info, but we won't really tell you what that means." It's all about pretending to disclose without actually saying anything concrete. And get this, they even mention that they might get info about you from "other sources." Like, what does that even mean? They can basically scoop up data from anywhere if they feel like it, and we're left scratching our heads. It's not just Google Analytics they're talking about, they're involved in all kinds of data exchanges with third parties. So yeah, their policies are just as shady as most other sites out there. Privacy laws really need an upgrade, don't you think?