Please avoid Ark1 mistakes

MichaelJanus

Just a reminder. I'm sure players mentioned this a lot of times.

1. Please make all player character hitbox sizes constant. So we wont see midgets with huge hands anymore.

2. Please ensure that all non-transparent objects obstruct vision equally on any graphic settings.

3. Please make the destruction of player base structures more expensive so building more passive defences would not be absolutely meaningless.

4. Please make sure that max server slots and max tribe size on officials correspond good enough to make slotcapping less of an issue.

5. Please make cross-server transfer point areas(if those would exist in ark2) unbuildable. So tribes won't block them. But please, no more unbuildable quest areas. Genesis 1 was poop because of those(while teleports which some people hate so much were actually very convenient for solo players :)).

6. Please make covering the whole map with spam much harder. Maybe just take some ideas from Rust which is completely free of this issue. Also do you plan to make capturing other player bases possible?

7. And please make sure maps have enough more or less balanced pvp base locations to match an average tribes count on server and some decent hiding spots for solo player bases.

8. Also for wipeless servers it would be nice to have some method to partially save core stuff for long offline periods. I have an idea for that:  what about a small storage which can only keep items which take a lot of time to acquire and are necessary to rebuild (like breeder dinos and blueprints in ark1)? And taking those items out from storage should require a long time like 24-72 hours so it can't be easily abused in pvp.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:24 PM, MichaelJanus said:

Just a reminder. I'm sure players mentioned this a lot of times.

1. Please make all player character hitbox sizes constant. So we wont see midgets with huge hands anymore.

2. Please ensure that all non-transparent objects obstruct vision equally on any graphic settings.

3. Please make the destruction of player base structures more expensive so building more passive defences would not be absolutely meaningless.

4. Please make sure that max server slots and max tribe size on officials correspond good enough to make slotcapping less of an issue.

5. Please make cross-server transfer point areas(if those would exist in ark2) unbuildable. So tribes won't block them. But please, no more unbuildable quest areas. Genesis 1 was poop because of those(while teleports which some people hate so much were actually very convenient for solo players :)).

6. Please make covering the whole map with spam much harder. Maybe just take some ideas from Rust which is completely free of this issue. Also do you plan to make capturing other player bases possible?

7. And please make sure maps have enough more or less balanced pvp base locations to match an average tribes count on server and some decent hiding spots for solo player bases.

8. Also for wipeless servers it would be nice to have some method to partially save core stuff for long offline periods. I have an idea for that:  what about a small storage which can only keep items which take a lot of time to acquire and are necessary to rebuild (like breeder dinos and blueprints in ark1)? And taking those items out from storage should require a long time like 24-72 hours so it can't be easily abused in pvp.

Bro by the sound of it everybody is hoping ark 2 is just ark 1 with better graphics. Nobody on these forums seems to want a better ark game with more to do and better balance. Ark 1 got boring after 6 years of the same poop. I pray they give us more to do than just off line raiding.

I agree with most of your points except for number 8 which would make raiding pointless. Acquiring rare and expensive items are one of the bonuses of pulling off a successful raid. If you allow tribes to stash them away in an invincible vault then the game will become quite dull and will eventually end up in a situation where everyone has everything resulting in hyper inflation where everything becomes worthless.

With regards to point 1 it is nice to be able to make odd looking characters but obviously there is balance issues with regards to size. I always try to make mine small and very dark (for better night time camouflage). It would be nice too if there was a way to customize your characters underwear as bright white kind of ruins the camo effect at night.

Points 2 is probably the most important of your points. It is ridiculous that I can tell the game I have 2gb memory and the game says "ok poor you I will erase all these bushes and leaves so you don't run out of ram". Even worse the game lets me do enhanced configuration via a ini file where I can make my game resemble something from 1999 which likewise helps massively with PVP.

It would be nice to be able to play the game on ultra high as it looks in the trailers without putting myself at a huge disadvantage.

Acquiring rare and expensive items are one of the bonuses of pulling off a successful raid.

Should not be a problem if stash is limited to something like 2 dinos of each kind.
Tribes have much more than just 2 breeders.
Also stashing those means they can't be used for a long time. So people would only stash redundant items permanently.
You'll still get everything they use daily.
Though blueprints probably should not be stashable because they are rarely used and unstash timer would not stop people from abusing stash.

I always try to make mine small and very dark

That's the thing. Everyone on PvP servers is forced to do like this because you're at disadvantage if you don't. That makes customization pointless. Probably changing the model size should be unavailable on PvP at all. Also I don't think we need so many hitboxes on a character.  At least the one for hands only exists to justify the existence of gloves as a separate armor piece that is absolutely unnecessary.

Bro by the sound of it everybody is hoping ark 2 is just ark 1 with better graphics. Nobody on these forums seems to want a better ark game with more to do and better balance. Ark 1 got boring after 6 years of the same poop. I pray they give us more to do than just off line raiding.

Well everyone hopes to get something new but the concept of PvP sandbox is defined a very long time ago. I believe in times of Ultima Online.  And you can't escape it. Also Ark should be Ark, not Rust with dinosaurs so I'm pretty sure devs are going to preserve most of the balance features. Though yep, fast despawn timers and easy item transfers make online raids pointless and that has to be fixed.

Two things in the trailer make me think there might not even be a PvP mode.

1) There are human like NPCs. So possibly these and the aggressive creatures are your only opponents (and the hostile environment in general, so PvE).

2) There are children in the trailer, so you might have a family (mostly likely these are NPCs) as part of your tribe. Doesn't make any sense to me that you would have PvP where you kill children. That is just too gross, even for a game that has you collect poop :)

And I don't think this is just ARK with better graphics. How would that take a few years to develop? They could have that ready in less than a year. This is a whole new game with similar themes to ARK. For instance some of the same characters. Might even be more of a single player type game, since I'm guessing you play as Santiago.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, wildbill said:

2) There are children in the trailer, so you might have a family (mostly likely these are NPCs) as part of your tribe. Doesn't make any sense to me that you would have PvP where you kill children. That is just too gross, even for a game that has you collect poop :)

Assuming there are children in-game, NPC or not (humans being breedable), you might be on to something.

Number 1 is trickier than you think. They would have to pretty much make premade survivors only and even then females would have to be exact same size as males. If the hitboxes don't align with what the model looks like it would lead to bad gameplay. For example lets take a chonker from ark 1. If he has the same hitbox as an average female when you shoot and your crosshairs are on his bicep, quads, thick chest, etc. those are all going to be misses. Essentially his model is obscuring the actual size of his hitbox making him harder to hit/harder to know where you should shoot.

Archived