Community Crunch 312: Desmodus Reveal, Official ARK Wiki, and More!

StudioWildcard

Greetings Survivors!

Welcome to another edition of the Community Crunch!  You only have a few more days to gather those Bunny Eggs and hop into an Eggcellent Adventure!  No eggscuses!  This week, the Fjordur hype train takes a stop to look at a monstrous creature that's very familiar to the community - Desmodus!

desmodus2.png

ARK_Fjordur_Desmodus_StA_Wallpaper_1920x1080.jpg

Announced as the third creature to land on Fjordur, Desmodus was the second winner of the Community Creature Vote!  The original creature submission garnered a lot of attention and the rest is ARK community history! Desmodus won (39,781 votes) vs. Carcharodontosaurus (24,419 votes) in the 9th and final round!

As you might imagine, Desmodus prefers to hang out in dark places, waiting for its unsuspecting prey!  If you're lucky enough to tame one,  you can send Desmodus to snatch up small prey or saddle up and vanish into the darkness.

Check out this post for more information on the new creatures that will arrive with Fjordur in June 2022!!

Desmodus_v2.jpg

arkwiki.png

As an ARK survivor, it's likely you've been in a bind and inevitably found yourself looking for information on one of ARK’s various game systems. Since 2016, the ARK wiki has served as an invaluable resource for millions of players making their first steps onto The Island. Cataloging and detailing ARK’s content, from the base experience through the expansions, is no easy task. Internally, we’ve even used it as a resource 😉.

The ARK wiki has had a happy home on Fandom and we’re grateful to have been partners as they supported the growth of the ARK wiki. We’re pleased to announce that we have a new home and partner, wiki.gg, for the Official ARK Wiki!  

The ARK wiki is undergoing an evolution!

ARkwikipreview.jpg

From this point forward, you can find the Official ARK Wiki at ark.wiki.gg!

Our intent in moving the ARK wiki is to provide a more stable and streamlined experience for the ARK community to build its future wiki roots on. The team at Wiki.gg are not new to starting community wikis and have a long history of successful community-led projects in their portfolio. Our shared vision for the ARK wiki is one that prioritizes gamers and the browsing experience over profits.

The Fandom ARK Wiki and the history of the contributors aren't going to disappear! The wiki team at Fandom has expressed interest in keeping the ARK wiki operational and functional as a second unofficial ARK wiki.

whatschanging.png

• The Browsing Experience: Nobody likes slow-loading web pages! The ark.wiki.gg layout allows for a more streamlined and less obtrusive browsing experience.
  • Creative Control: In the past, there has been no creative control over things that affect the overall presentation and user experience (ads, banners, UI, etc.).
  • Marketing (Ads): Ads displayed on the ARK wiki are from internal partners from the Wiki.gg network.

whatsnotchanging.png

• The Wiki History: All the current content of the ARK wiki has been migrated to its new home.
  • Community Control: The ARK wiki community will still dictate how the content is managed, created, and edited.
  • The Rules: All content moderation rules remain the same and prior ARK wiki admins have transitioned to the new official wiki.

howtohelp.png

• Become an Editor: Help improve the wiki! Wiki’s are most successful when many community members contribute content and validate information.
  • Wiki’s are Worldwide: ARK players come from all around the world! We encourage non-English speakers to help make the ARK Wiki an even more valuable resource by contributing to the specific language wikis!
  • Share Your Feedback:  As always, we want to hear your thoughts on the Wiki transition. Anything you want to see the wiki add in the future?
  • Update Your Links: Remember to help those who forget the new Official ARK Wiki home.

With this transition, The ARK wiki has evolved into a long-term platform for ARK information to thrive! The community team looks forward to hearing your thoughts on the ARK wiki transition!

ark.wiki.gg

evo.png

Ark_Evolution_Event_minimized.thumb.png.2d282a169df9bbbd0ba09a90303a7cec.png

There is an ongoing EVO Event included with Eggcellent Adventure.  You can find the rates below:

*Note that these bonuses are multiplicative of the game's standard 1x rates. 

• Official Servers: 3x XP, Harvesting, Taming, and Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 1.5x Hexagon Bonus
  • Small Tribe Servers: 4.5x XP, 4.5x Harvesting, 4.5x Taming, and 4x Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 1.5x Hexagon Bonus
  • ARKPocalypse: 5x XP, 5x Harvesting, 5x Taming, and 5x Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 1.5x Hexagon Bonus
  • Classic: 6x XP, 6x Harvesting, 6x Taming, and 5x Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval

communitycorner.png

Fan Art Gallery | Screenshot GalleryArtist Feedback Form

communitystories_.png

Emotional_Pain#4695

I remember when I was playing with my friend in a server on mobile, since I don't have ARK on my PC. My friend had run off with a bunch of random tames to find a base location for us, while I was just building at the shore of spawn. I only had a parasaur and two dilos tamed, and my friend had a parasaur, dilo, baryonyx, and had recently got a free rex egg from someone. So what happened was I had recently finished building a thatch base because I didn't have enough engrams for wood or stone, neither did my friend, and I was AFK for some time in my small thatch base. When I was got back, I was about to leave my temporary base, but once I opened the door, I had seen a therizinosaurus right outside my base. I then closed the door, not wanting it to aggro me, and went to the back of my base. I was talking with my friend, who was working on their base somewhere, and then I eventually turned around to see part of my base destroyed by the therizinosaurus. I had no idea that dinosaur had seen me, yet I stayed in the back of my base and started shooting it with my bow. I somehow killed it about 5 minutes later, and I'm still impressed that I had done that since I was about level 17, I think. But that was also when I decided that I would head out to my friends base that they were working on, so I hopped onto my parasaur and started my journey. When I got somewhat closer to my friends base, I had spotted another therizinosaurus. Not only did it see me, but it also killed my parasaur and both of my dilos. It was a sad day, but I had eventually tamed a raptor, which made me a bit happier. It wasn't a high level, but I mainly used it for traveling faster. One I had tamed it and put a saddle on it, I continued my journey to my friends base. Shortly after, I came across a spino, and thankfully it didn't see me when I ran past it. Soon after that, a therizinosaurus came out of nowhere and killed my raptor. I ran for my life, and shortly left the server since I was completely lost.

clipsvideos.png

Creator: The Pilgrimz Project

Check out this amazing and unique build by The Pilgrimz project!  Enhance your raft build with this tour and build guide!

Creator: Nexxuz World

ARKADIA 2 has begun and our Spanish and Portuguese-speaking audience has already begun creating amazing memories.  Check out Nexxuz latest video if you're looking to learn more.  (Tip: You can use auto-translate subtitles on YouTube if you don't speak Spanish).  Content may be NSFW

fanart_2.png

Quick ARK Raptor Painting by @ItsCryptillian

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Quick_Raptor_A

Stole the Dragon Egg by @TZULIN_

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Stole_the_Drag

Progress on Shadowmane by Nachara#7563

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Shadowmane_192

Parasaur TEK by Pet1tFlan

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Parasaure_Tek_

Island Guardians by Gerald.#4819

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Island_Guardia

Ice Wyvern! by Acodan

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Ice_Wyvern_192

screen.png

rhiannnnnnn12<3#5531

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Trike_Build_19

@YaBoiGasBoi

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_Untitled_1920x

See you on the flip side!
Studio Wildcard

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Discord: discord.com/invite/playark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark

View full article

Can you guys please un-bug the microraptor chibi? I don't know of anyone who has actually gotten one to drop.

Ark decided it hated me the other day... My tribemate and I were skiffing around Extinction looking for element veins when I got caught in a lag spike and one spawned right under us. It destroyed the skiff. My tribemate started defending the node while I flew to base to get our second skiff. We finished the element node (it was a 50k), harvested it, but as soon as we started loading the skiff a purple OSD landed on us, killed my giga, and destroyed the second skiff. I had to solo the OSD spawns until my tribemate crafted enough dust into hard element that our wyverns could carry it and we could escape.

I understand that the aoe is to stop people from building on the spawns and hoarding nodes/OSDs, but there has to be a limit to the vertical range on an element vein's effect. I was well above the ground, almost level with the mountain peaks, and it still destroyed the skiff. Also, there should be a timer or cooldown on how soon a location can spawn a new node or OSD after one has been completed, to give the players time to collect their loot and escape. We not only lost two skiffs and a near top stat giga, we lost the gathered element from three other nodes we had already harvested when the first skiff was destroyed. There were no bags from the destroyed storage. Along with three nodes' worth of element lost, I lost a set of spare tek gear, my taming kit, and a gathered haul of metal ore and black pearls we were taking back to base.

• Like 1

Your link for more info... "Check out this post for more information" ... shows absolutely no information at all except that it won the creature submission contest. Thanks again for [investing] wasting my time with Wildcard Studios, aka Grapeshot Games, also just as much a waste of time and resources. Much love for ARK II.

• Facepalm 2

New wiki's looking good. We really need a way to search loot tables for the items we need (saddles, flak, weapons, etc). It seems that the Gen1 missions in particular are designed to offer a way to target farm certain items, but besides cataloguing them myself, there is no way to just search up an item I need either in-game or on the wiki and find which missions or drops provide what I'm looking for quickly. Systems like these are part of what turns new players away from ARK, there are so many things that are just not explained well, whether it be these mission loot tables, complicated taming mechanics, or even just how to cross-ARK transfer. Hopefully this can be addressed in ARK 2 with a more streamlined set of in-game guides/hints, but I hope at the least that this new wiki can be refined a bit more to clearly provide info needed to play, rather than having to search forum posts and YouTube videos. There is so much to do in this game, and it would be so great if the resources to know what to do and where to go were more easily accessible. In any case, looking forward to the years to come with Fjordur and ARK 2. ❤️

So I have a question that relates to our new flying friend, when release will we see the vanilla bats of ark get a TLC or some new added tricks like hang on the ceiling or able to land on the ground like it's new big brother can when released or will there be a patch to add it cause honestly I have a few of the Onyc's myself and wish they could also hang upside down or land on the ground.

I only ask this cause the Onyc kinda is one of the mobs that's been part of ark from day one, so it would be nice to see them also get a little love with it's big brother.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skullkreeper7 said:

So I have a question that relates to our new flying friend, when release will we see the vanilla bats of ark get a TLC or some new added tricks like hang on the ceiling or able to land on the ground like it's new big brother can when released or will there be a patch to add it cause honestly I have a few of the Onyc's myself and wish they could also hang upside down or land on the ground.

I only ask this cause the Onyc kinda is one of the mobs that's been part of ark from day one, so it would be nice to see them also get a little love with it's big brother.

Now that you bring that up, there is a chance they may update the Onyc to allow it to hang from the ceiling if there is one available seeing as they do seem to be doing that with Desmodus here

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, Ferchi said:

Fix that

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Breeding

you can see nothing in the right side with somany ads on the screen, the first wiki was wrong with the same problem and the new wiki is just a new copy

There is supposed to be nothing on the right side as it is meant for the ads.

If you use an ad blocker then just block those elements and it will look like this:

image.png

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, alex4401 said:

Thanks, tables are a pain lol. I'll get this fixed ASAP.

Looks good! Now it's the next one on tablets. 🙃

QvKoTGq.png

To be honest, these ads make the whole pages look cluttered on anything smaller than a large desktop. Why not re-use the navigation column and move them there on medium sized devices?

c95fvg7.png

This would definitely give the actual content some space to breathe, in my opinion.

Right, I've been pretty light handed in regards to how I approach the CCs but I kind of have to question the point of rehashing what was already said of desmodus rather than giving new information. The artwork is nice and gives us a decent idea of their scale but we've more or less been given nothing new in regards to actual information. Rather than fluff the post with preestablished information it would've been better to simply leave it at "hey, here's some new art of the fan voted creature".  Call me paranoid but it just feels like something was thrown out to prevent people from wondering why it was kind of left to dry till the map reveal while andrewsarchus received a spotlight despite being less hyped.  

Beyond that kudos for moving the wiki from fandom. I always abhorred the layout that fandom rolled out after switching brands from wikia. Provided that players can still provide some input rather than leaving it a closed system that only the team put together can have a say in the act of making things a bit more "in house" might help the community feel a bit less insulated from the devs. If that won't be the case then there's a very good chance that players will still just defer to fandom, unofficial or not.

Edited by CosmicSkeleton

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Call me paranoid but it just feels like something was thrown out to prevent people from wondering why it was kind of left to dry till the map reveal while andrewsarchus received a spotlight despite being less hyped.

Paranoid? Look back at the last two Crunches. The first was the Andrewsarchus Reveal (which pretty much provided a new artwork of it, then the second was the Andrewsarchus Creature Spotlight.

Now the next Crunch is the Desmodus Reveal, and likely next week will be the Desmodus Creature Spotlight.

The two weeks following that are likely to be the same for FjordHawk.

Not sure where the paranoia is coming from because Desmodus is clearly following the same theme as Andrewsarchus at this point.

• Volunteer Moderator

Mammal breeding table should behave like the incubation table now - or at least when the cache reloads.

Looks good. Some more on dinos pages (e.g. Griffin) :

frqNmbN.png

I'll have to check in with the platform team whether we can reposition that ad rail, as I'm not exactly sure if it's allowed.

I guess it is not so much the right column than it is the left one. For context, here is an example of a page where the content feels squeezed on these devices:

z0NeXcf.png

Perhaps a better idea could be to make the navigation column respond at 1040px (at the same time of the header logo) instead of 720px. This would unclutter the content for guests on such devices, as well as fixing the overflowing banners and leave the right column as is. I don't think this would be an issue, since this is actually what other wikis are doing. For example, Terraria that does it at 1024px:

XkvBxmw.png

Edited by invincibleqc