Solo Player Issue

KyrieCatteneo

Ive been playing Ark for about 1800 hours with no problems. Started a Fjordur character who is at level 70. Problem is I went to check a different character, my original one on the Island, but when I logged in, it said I was dead...but when I tried to respawn, it was my Fjordur character..on the Island..now it appears my original character is gone!! Is there any way to recover her??

• 1 month later...

Mod maps share a folder and the survivor data with the default (Island) map. To my knowledge, this can't be changed. I'm sorry but your The Island character got deleted the moment you created a new survivor for Fjordur. Do you have a backup? If not, you'll have to use commands to give Kyrie's stuff to a different survivor.

To prevent this from happening again, upload your survivor into an obelisk every time you want to change characters, and always before creating a new one. Or use the same character for The Island and all mod maps.

Edit: Was unaware that a month had passed. For the commands you need, see here.

1 hour ago, KyrieCatteneo said:

I just checked my Island map. All of Kyrie's animals and houses are still there, its just Kyrie herself that is gone, and my Fjordur character, Astrid is there..I cant even go into Kyrie's house! lol Still hoping someone knows how to fix this??

Short answer: No.

You will need to re-create Astrid and then use admin commands to make the new-Astrid the owner of everything on The Island and to give her any levels + gear that she used to have.

Longer answer: Why?

I'm about 99% certain that what happened is, at some point, you used an obelisk to have Astrid travel to The Island and then back to Fjordur, and this caused the file containing Astrid's information to get overwritten. If I'm wrong about that then either this is a glitch or there is some other explanation that I don't know about.

Full explanation: This is going to take a couple of minutes, but it will be worth the time for you to understand how the game stores information. If you don't understand the following explanation then this could happen to you again.

1) Everything that ARK saves on your computer will end up somewhere under this directory:

G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved

2) Each of the Official paid maps and the Official DLC maps will have their own separate directory where they save a copy of that map and a copy of the character + tribe that you have on that map.

Examples:

\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\TheCenterSavedArksLocal\
         1111111111.arktribe
         LocalPlayer.arkprofile
         TheCenter.ark

\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\ScorchedEarth_PSavedArksLocal
         2222222222.arktribe
         LocalPlayer.arkprofile
         ScorchedEarth_P.ark

\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Aberration_PSavedArksLocal
         3333333333.arktribe
         LocalPlayer.arkprofile
         ScorchedEarth_P.ark

\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\RagnarokSavedArksLocal
         4444444444.arktribe
         LocalPlayer.arkprofile
         Ragnarok.ark

3) There are a couple of things that are important to notice.

a) The tribe files have unique names, even if you use the same tribe name on every map. For me, that's what I do. Just because it amuses me I name my tribe on every (local) map "Alpha Tribe", but even though the name I use on every map is the same the filename that the computer uses to store the tribe data is a different name in every directory.

b) Character files are the opposite of that. In every directory they have the same name. No matter what you name your characters on every map they all get saved under that map directory as LocalPlayer.arkprofile.

4) So what happened to you...

The locations for your character files used to look like this:

Astrid - \Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\FjordurSavedArksLocal\LocalPlayer.arkprofile

Kyrie - \Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\SavedArksLocal\LocalPlayer.arkprofile

Then, as some point, you used the obelisk to have Astrid travel to The Island and this is where things went wrong. Since WildCard made the decision that all characters have the exact same file name you can never ever have two characters on the same map, not even for one second.

What the game did was it took Astrid's file LocalPlayer.arkprofile from the Fjordur directory and copied it into The Island directory, which overwrote Kyrie and made her go away for ever. All of the stuff on The Island was still there, Kyrie's tribe, Kyrie's buildings, Kyrie's dinos... but Kyrie was gone, she got replaced by Astrid.

5) How to prevent this from happening again

You have to keep track of where your characters are living. If you want to have a character travel from Map-A to Map-B you need to make sure that a character who is living on Map-B gets moved first.

For example, you could have used an obelisk to have Kyrie travel from The Island to the Center and then had Astrid travel from Fjordur to The Island. Kyrie would have been safely saved under the directory for The Center while Kyrie was having fun on The Island. Then, when you were done, Kyrie could have gone home to Fjordur and then Kyrie could have gone home to The Island.

As long as your characters are living on different maps you'll be ok, but you can never have two characters on the same map at the same time or the game will overwrite one of them and they'll be gone.

3 hours ago, riceandvegetable said:

Mod maps share a folder and the survivor data with the default (Island) map.

[Edit] I made a mistake, you were correct. See posts below if you care about the details.

That's partially true, but only for non-Official mod maps. Once WildCard approves a map to be an Official Free DLC (The Center, Ragnarok, etc.) then they get their own separate folder under the saves directory. See my reply to the OP for specific examples.

For an example that supports what you're saying I have the Valhalla installed. Under my saves directory I have the following:

\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\SavedArksLocal

TheIsland.ark

Valhalla.ark

LocalPlayer.profilebak

That copy of the LocalPlayer.profilebak is shared by The Island and Valhalla, but that's because ARK treats Valhalla as a mod. When they approve a mod map to be an Official map (including the Free DLC Official maps) the map gets its own separate directory.

Ahh..that answers another question..what happens to my fjordur character once the mod goes official. I had a look at my ark folder..well...sure wish I knew how to read that stuff...lol..I just dont know enough about that to mess with those folders..sad tho...Kyrie was my first character. Thanks for the replies tho.

40 minutes ago, KyrieCatteneo said:

thank you that is a great help. However, I have only ever used the obelisk to make cryopods..I thought I had to beat the boss to travel..lol but hanks! every bit of info helps :)

I just realized my mistake - Fjordur has not been officially released yet as Free DLC yet, which means the game still treats the map as a mod map. I was thinking it has already been Officially released but it's only been announced.

This means that @riceandvegetable gave the correct explanation. When you created Astrid on Fjordur it over wrote Kyrie on The Island because they both use the same file.

TheIsland.ark

Viking_P.ark

LocalPlayer.arkprofile

There are still a couple of solutions that will work for you

1) recreate Kyrie, use admin commands to give her ownership of her buildings & dinos, then move here to The Center (or some other map) until they officially release Fjordur as Free DLC.

2) Or... just wait until after they release it as Free DLC, make sure that Astrid is still safe & happy on Fjordur and then recreate Astrid on The Island after that date.

28 minutes ago, KyrieCatteneo said:

Ahh..that answers another question..what happens to my fjordur character once the mod goes official. I had a look at my ark folder..well...sure wish I knew how to read that stuff...lol..I just dont know enough about that to mess with those folders..sad tho...Kyrie was my first character. Thanks for the replies tho.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that when Fjordur goes official you're going to have to copy a couple of files from the current directory to the new directory. If you don't do that then the game will treat Fjordur as a brand new map with a brand new character. As far as I know WildCard does not migrate (move) files for you when they officially release a map.

Here's what you would do:

1) When they Officially release Fjordur open up the map and see if Astrid, buildings, dinos are all there. If they are there then you're fine, you can now recreate Kyrie and you'll be back to normal.

2) If Astrid is not there, if the game wants you to create a new character on Fjordur then copy the following files:

LocalPlayer.arkprofile

Viking_P.ark

Copy those files into the new Fjordur directory that the game will create when Fjordur is officially released:

G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\FjordurSavedArksLocal

Archived