Ark 2 pve

JJacky

Pve becomes boring once you have an established base and are breeding boss dinos. Nothing ever attacks your base and the wilderness is no longer a challenge. What I would love to see are improvements to the pve part of the game to give the game more longevity. So here's a list of ideas that I had in mind to make pve much better:

1) Defence against wild dinos/cavemen/cannibals:  there should be a constant external threat to your base. In order to fend off the carnivores trying to eat your tames or npc tribes stealing your stuff, you need some for of defence in the form of dinos, traps or defensive plants. The challenge should vary from time to time and mostly be relatively easy, but there should also be occasional attacks that need more attention.

2) Quests/adventures:  there could be NPCs that give you quests to earn resources, items, blueprints. The quests should be interesting, engaging and varying. I would suggest different types/categories of quests that cycle on a daily basis (so that it's not like the genesis quests where you just rinse repeat the same one over and over. Let's say there's a quest category called "hunt down a dino" where you have to hunt down a certain type of dino. The type of dino changes each day and the only parameter you can change is difficulty.

3) Buyable skins: there should definitely be different skins for weapons, saddles, dinos that are attainable only by paying real money. I'd rather see some steady source of income in addition to DLCs so that Wildcard could actually afford to implement better customer service, server maintenance, bug fixes etc. Skins would be a good choice as they don't turn the game into a pay2win, but would still offer some income as people will buy stuff that make them look unique.

4) More decorative items:   there are a ton of mods for Ark 1 that include these, but they never made it to the official game. If you wanted to build proper castles and keeps, you'd have to looks for an unofficial server that uses the castles and keeps mod or play single player game. I would love to see more variability for decorative items in the official game.

5) pvpve -mode:  a pve server where you can't destroy enemy buildings, but you can attack enemy players and their dinos. That way, people could keep their precious stuff in their bases, but going outside would always be risky and dangerous (which it definitely isn't once you are established).

6) Unique and random environmental events:  maybe a meteor hits the Ark once in a while, bringing with it some precious metal not available anywhere else, OR maybe a particularly strong titanic dino spawns on the map and carries some really rare loot, OR there is a freaky cold snap that causes the temperature to rapidly fall, killing everyone that is exposed (also works as a wild dino wipe). I know, this might kill the dino that you are currently taming, but this is "Ark" and not "Barbie World".

7) Hall of Fame:  people love to polish their medals and stand on pedestals; this is apparent in many games. Every server or cluster could have a hall of fame or leader board that refreshes every month or so. It could show the number of wild dinos killed, strongest dino killed, most bosses killed or whatever that is easily measured.

Thoughts?

I'd want number 1, there was a mod that enabled wave based attacks on your base which was fun. But sadly once extinction came out the dev stopped working on it.
Right now the only real reason to have turrets on pve is to keep the thieving dinos away. Nothing else is really a threat.

Doesn't have to be constant (24/7), but could be certain times of the day, or maybe it's more during some season of the year or event.
One example would be nameless coming to attack during the night even on surface maps. Could have server settings for how often it happens. From every night to maybe once a week, or only weekends.

Another example could be a stampede of dinos when the volcano(for such maps) erupts, so even herbivores will be aggressive as they try to get away and are frightened.

Also really hoping there will be human npc's in ark 2 for this reason.

2 hours ago, Gelantious said:

I'd want number 1, there was a mod that enabled wave based attacks on your base which was fun. But sadly once extinction came out the dev stopped working on it.
Right now the only real reason to have turrets on pve is to keep the thieving dinos away. Nothing else is really a threat.

Doesn't have to be constant (24/7), but could be certain times of the day, or maybe it's more during some season of the year or event.
One example would be nameless coming to attack during the night even on surface maps. Could have server settings for how often it happens. From every night to maybe once a week, or only weekends.

Another example could be a stampede of dinos when the volcano(for such maps) erupts, so even herbivores will be aggressive as they try to get away and are frightened.

Also really hoping there will be human npc's in ark 2 for this reason.

Id also be happy with attacks or events that take place once in a while. Just something that occasionally breaks the daily chores and reminds us that this is a survival game and not a dino breeding simulation.

Human npcs would be awesome. Im hoping that the orc-like creatures from the trailer are npcs that occasionally try to break into your base or attack you while you are exploring.

To add to this, I think a good way to improve the PvE is to improve the wild creatures. Make them have different strategies required to take them down. Maybe one creature has a weakness to another. Add dodging and a system where you have to time your attacks. And more improvements to stealth, rather than just having the ghillie suit. Something akin to Horizon: Zero Dawn.

• 2 months later...

Archived