Wildcard Needs to Implement a 0 Tolerance Policy on Cheaters

Tylanater

It's a ongoing battle. You can get one cheater and he/she will be back on a new account, that's why some companies use the 'ban hammer' and collect info on many users then mass ban all at once. An account on ark is cheap so the risk is pretty low, get caught and its a mild inconvenience.

There is always new ways to cheat, so wildcard may patch one thing but a new way will pop up. I honestly think cheaters will always be there, the only defence would be if wildcard responded quicker, but again that cost for a company to do this would probably not be beneficial from a business perspective. 

I get that to a certain extent. You are never going to remove cheaters 100%. But in ark it's different than other games, cheating is the expectation. People openly brag about cheating in the game chat and still don't get banned. People don't even try to use subtle aimbots like in other games, they just go full hog shoot you in the flak helmet 12 times in a row while on the back of a mana or something and still no ban. Small tribes if full of RMT with easy to gather evidence through discord channels but they hardly enforce on that either. WAY more people than you think run ESP and like 80% of pvp community uses an INI, even big youtubers, with no punishment. Arkpoc and snail games servers are especially bad to the point where a lot of people won't even play them anymore. Literally one admin with a redgun on these servers could help so much just from what he witnesses first hand.

INI is completely a wildcard mistake, that shouldn't be so easy and open to edit. I think because its common knowledge that even if you cheat, it can take weeks to get banned if you even do then why care about bragging. Some of the cheats available are insane. I think most big tribes even have 'cheat' accounts now to counter cheaters that they can log on too. 

Honestly if you want any kind of protection now, you cant play official, some server admins and pretty active and jump on cheaters quickly.

But what would you suggest, because obviously i dont run a game of this size but i can see the limitations from a coding and business perspective. They employ more staff to deal with tickets, then the problem remains and employee costs increase. They 'fix' the problem which would cost a fair amount in coding, and probably only last x amount of time before something new comes along. If you limit gameplay to much, you annoy the player base. If you implement a third party anti-cheat, you also annoy some of the player base and incur license fees.

I'm in no way defending wildcard as i agree, a LOT needs to be done, but they have already announced a sequel which will limit how much support or resources this game will now get. I think it's likely that it will end as a lot of games do, official servers will become dead zones where the antisocial cheater lurk in the shadows, destroying any chance of fun or competitive play.

I think just taking a stricter stance on their current enforcement policies and procedures would help a ton. Like I said in post if they just wiped every tribe that had a cheater in it the problem would be largely fixed. People play with cheaters even if they don't cheat themselves because they know they will be fine. Everyone knows that when your tribemate gets banned for cheating they just rejoin the tribe on a new account. Tribes would be forced to cull the cheaters and be very careful who could join the tribe. Wouldn't be any extra work really just need to type 'destroyalltribestructures' in the command menu or whatever.

Wiping a tribe is still way too lenient, they can still transfer items or creatures to alts or friends in other tribes. Instead the entire server should be wiped, maybe even the entire cluster. It might even be a good entire to wipe every single resource and wild dinos just to make sure potential cheaters have nothing to build up with.

If only reporting worked better it would be an improvement. One of our allies tried to report a cheater/griefer but the link to create a ticket did not work from his phone. Also, why they do not accept screenshots in PM on consoles? The extra work would pay off in goodwill and trust.

The company policies and merrits need to be improved, the general tendency is little trust in future projects if things not change.

Archived