400 GB? Seriously?

Ynddiduedd

I'm sorry, am I doing this wrong? How can this game take up almost half of a terabyte of space? 400.84 GB of space required. How is that even possible when other, newer games take up less than a quarter of that? I'd attach the clip I took of the download window, but, perhaps ironically, this website has a size limit of 400 KB for files.

27 minutes ago, Ynddiduedd said:

I'm sorry, am I doing this wrong? How can this game take up almost half of a terabyte of space? 400.84 GB of space required. How is that even possible when other, newer games take up less than a quarter of that? I'd attach the clip I took of the download window, but, perhaps ironically, this website has a size limit of 400 KB for files.

ARK is big, like really, painfully big, but if it's using up 400 GB on your machine then either you've subscribed to a lot of mods or there's actually something going wrong on your machine. For comparison, on my machine the full install is 353 GB (Size on disk 211 GB, according to Windows) and I have all of the maps and multiple mods installed (and I have multiple mods installed, it's significantly less without the mods.

So...

1) You honestly should investigate whether there's an issue with your disk/windows/configuration/etc.

2) If you're absolutely certain that there's nothing wrong with your machine/setup, then look review your mods to see how many you can unsubscribe and delete.

3) If there are any of the free DLC maps that you're not using and not playing on (Center, Ragnarok, etc.) unsubscribe from those maps and delete them from your machine, they each take up a lot of space.

3 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

ARK is big, like really, painfully big, but if it's using up 400 GB on your machine then either you've subscribed to a lot of mods or there's actually something going wrong on your machine. For comparison, on my machine the full install is 353 GB (Size on disk 211 GB, according to Windows) and I have all of the maps and multiple mods installed (and I have multiple mods installed, it's significantly less without the mods.

So...

1) You honestly should investigate whether there's an issue with your disk/windows/configuration/etc.

2) If you're absolutely certain that there's nothing wrong with your machine/setup, then look review your mods to see how many you can unsubscribe and delete.

3) If there are any of the free DLC maps that you're not using and not playing on (Center, Ragnarok, etc.) unsubscribe from those maps and delete them from your machine, they each take up a lot of space.

That's weird!!! I really dont have a bunch of mods - and on this PC I don't have a bunch of history saved games either. 402 GB! (Size on disk)

Edited by DirkInSA

18 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

That's weird!!! I really dont have a bunch of mods - and on this PC I don't have a bunch of history saved games either. 402 GB! (Size on disk)

[Edit:] Sorry Dirk, I didn't realize I was replying to a different person when I wrote this, I thought I was replying to the OP again. Didn't realize my mistake until after I posted it.

Hmm... some more ideas, in case they help.

Even if we don't consider the "Size on disk" there's still something going on with your system if the full "Size" is 402 GB. As I say, I have multiple mods installed and my total size is 353 GB.

In addition to the disk space stuff, this might help you to compare:
     140,491 files, 12,181 folders
If you have more than those numbers then you definitely have something installed under ARK that's eating up your drive.

And regarding compression (Size on disk) - is your install on a hard drive (HDD) or solid-state drive (SSD)?  If it's an SSD you should consider checking the box for the drive properties that says, "Compress this drive to save disk space". SSD's are fast enough that (in my opinion) it's worth the slightly longer loading times to have stuff on my games drive auto compressed. This will cause games to take slightly longer when they're loading up, but I've never had any problems with performance issues while actually playing the games, once the game starts the compression does not interfere with game play.

My games drive is 2TB and I enabled compression for the entire drive. Or, if you don't have a separate games drive, you can enable compression for any specific folders you want (like you could enable compression for everything under your "Steam" directory).

But, regardless of whether you want to allow auto-compression or not, there's still that basic issue of taking up 400 GB rather than 353 GB. Either you have something extra installed that you forgot about or there is something going wrong on your system. One possibility is that you've unsubscribed from mods in the past but you never deleted them from your drive. Steam doesn't uninstall mods when you unsubscribe, they just sit there still taking up space.

Edited by Pipinghot

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Even if we don't consider the "Size on disk" there's still something going on with your system if the full "Size" is 402 GB. As I say, I have multiple mods installed and my total size is 353 GB.

I don't think there's things going on with people's systems.

I have all maps and multiple mods and mine's at 404Gb. I suspect the main difference is the type of mods installed.

Edited by GP

• Volunteer Moderator

To reduce your installation size;

• You could uninstall maps you are not actively playing and save ~273gb as mentioned into the following thread:
  • If you are not launching your game with -sm4 (e.g. you are not launching it with Low-End Graphics/Extremely Low Memory launch presets) then you could delete all the .sm4 files from the SeekFreeContent directory and save ~80gb (all maps included). Though, these files would be restored every times an integrity check is performed.

• 10 months later...

400+GB is definitely the norm for most people with all the official maps (including sponsored DLC) installed and a few mods.

I myself am at 433GB for ARK and also someone who had to buy a new 1TB SSD for the game pre Genesis 2 because of it.

Hopefully WC will trim the fat down quite a lot with the UE5 upgrade and we can expect a much smaller game size.

From everything i've heard about that engine it would not surprise me if ARK1 running on it not only has significant improvements to performance, especially online but is also a smaller and better looking game as well.

>> Hopefully WC will trim the fat down quite a lot with the UE5 upgrade and we can expect a much smaller game size.

I'm expecting the updated Ark 1 to be between 25% and 50% bigger on disk...
Higher resolution textures and possibly finer mesh will probably double the size of the assets, and software libraries almost never get smaller.

Upgrade your SSD's everyone.   WildCard probably have shares in Crucial, Samsung and Intel 🙂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm running Ark with 330 GB no mods and I have like only three dlc installed atm.  You can shut dlc off if you need more room play only one at a time.

And yes it would take so much memory to run both version of Ark that there is not way people are going to do that or even be able to.  You will have to choose which you want the Original or the Remastered version.

Edited by SarahMonette

google compactGui. downlad it, isntall .net framework redistributable 6 for desktop, run compact gui on ark main folder with xpress4k compression and skip poorly compressed file types, wait some minutes -> average of 48% space saved, 0 performance penalties (higher compression methods will hurt performance in most cases). after each game update (not server update) you will need to recompress it again since patches will remove compression on all those files they change (re-compression will automatically skip already compressed files and so it will be fast).

• 2 months later...