Timer on Electrical Wires is 8 Days, Good Troll, Wildcard!

iDash

Build with Wood, Build with Stone, Build with Metal --->16 Days.

Is there reason the most important thing the electrical wires disappears in 8 days!

Fridges, Cryopods are useless with this stupid timer!

Is wildcard just trolling us at this point?

BTW- Cryo fridge last 40 days, but electrical wires disappear and kill everything at 8 days!

4 hours ago, iDash said:

BTW- Cryo fridge last 40 days, but electrical wires disappear and kill everything at 8 days!

I absolutely agree with the decay system being a bit random and is not encuraging nice builds but that last bit is not how it works.
True, after 8 days there will be no more wires but no one stops you to re-wire them. As long as you do not acces the inventory your pods will be alive as soon as you powered the fridge up again. Another thing is the upgrade to a tek generator, these don't need wires.

Just keep in mind to never open an unpowered cryofridge

13 hours ago, MMaas said:

I absolutely agree with the decay system being a bit random and is not encuraging nice builds but that last bit is not how it works.
True, after 8 days there will be no more wires but no one stops you to re-wire them. As long as you do not acces the inventory your pods will be alive as soon as you powered the fridge up again. Another thing is the upgrade to a tek generator, these don't need wires.

Just keep in mind to never open an unpowered cryofridge

The OP is raising a valid issue, WC has made some truly boneheaded decisions with their decay timers.

Don't get me wrong, the workarounds you're suggesting are smart, those are the things that players have to do in order to protect themselves from WC's bad decisions, but no matter how smart your suggestions are they don't change the fact that the OP has a valid complaint and that WC has hosed the player base with their stupid decay decisions.

3 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

The OP is raising a valid issue, WC has made some truly boneheaded decisions with their decay timers.

Don't get me wrong, the workarounds you're suggesting are smart, those are the things that players have to do in order to protect themselves from WC's bad decisions, but no matter how smart your suggestions are they don't change the fact that the OP has a valid complaint and that WC has hosed the player base with their stupid decay decisions.

It is not a smart workaround, it is just how it works: Fridge unpowered is NOT insta kill podded dino's.

I'm not the first to "defend" WC but in this case I can totaly see why it makes sense and that is PvP: Target oppo's power to kill his defenses, including the dino's. The smart workarounds there are double wire's, auto start generators, batteries

5 hours ago, MMaas said:

It is not a smart workaround, it is just how it works: Fridge unpowered is NOT insta kill podded dino's.

I'm not the first to "defend" WC but in this case I can totaly see why it makes sense and that is PvP: Target oppo's power to kill his defenses, including the dino's. The smart workarounds there are double wire's, auto start generators, batteries

This has nothing to do with PvP, the decay timers are basic game mechanics that affect PvE also. It's silly to have wiring decay days sooner than the equipment it's connected too. Wiring is basically a metal tier technology and it should last as long as other metal tier objects.

10 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

This has nothing to do with PvP, the decay timers are basic game mechanics that affect PvE also. It's silly to have wiring decay days sooner than the equipment it's connected too. Wiring is basically a metal tier technology and it should last as long as other metal tier objects.

please read my first comment again:

On 3/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, MMaas said:

I absolutely agree with the decay system being a bit random and is not encuraging nice builds

I do agree that the decay timers are random and only press people to build ugly.

The thing I was talking about in the rest of my comments was the presumed insta kill of podded dino's when a fridge was unpowered and that is a thing that is not correct. Also, that is something I can't see as "Trolling" from WC as stated in the title but as part of PvP tactics.

7 hours ago, MMaas said:

The thing I was talking about in the rest of my comments was the presumed insta kill of podded dino's when a fridge was unpowered and that is a thing that is not correct.

Yup, that was obvious.

"...but no one stops you to re-wire them."

and

"As long as you do not acces the inventory your pods will be alive as soon as you powered the fridge up again."

Those are the workarounds I was referring to when I spoke of your clever workarounds. They don't fix the problem, they are the workarounds that players use because the only people who can actually fix the problem (WildCard) won't do it. That's what a workaround is, something you do to get around a problem that you don't have the ability to fix. The responsibility for the true fix lies with WC, which is why the OP was complaining to WC rather than to other players.

14 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yup, that was obvious.

"...but no one stops you to re-wire them."

and

"As long as you do not acces the inventory your pods will be alive as soon as you powered the fridge up again."

Those are the workarounds I was referring to when I spoke of your clever workarounds. They don't fix the problem, they are the workarounds that players use because the only people who can actually fix the problem (WildCard) won't do it. That's what a workaround is, something you do to get around a problem that you don't have the ability to fix. The responsibility for the true fix lies with WC, which is why the OP was complaining to WC rather than to other players.

I think there might be a basic management of the servers.   I can't be the only player with over 5,000 podded dinos.   If wires didn't break down earlier than the bases, then most of the leftover dinos from all of us would survive and never disappear from the servers.   I'm pretty sure WC, and we as players, want the official servers to run smoothly.   Letting stuff decay helps that out.

13 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I think there might be a basic management of the servers.   I can't be the only player with over 5,000 podded dinos.   If wires didn't break down earlier than the bases, then most of the leftover dinos from all of us would survive and never disappear from the servers.   I'm pretty sure WC, and we as players, want the official servers to run smoothly.   Letting stuff decay helps that out.

Sure they would, wires would break down just as fast as the rest of a metal base. No one's suggesting permanent wires, only that the wires should decay using the same timer as the rest of the metal base they're part of.

10 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Sure they would, wires would break down just as fast as the rest of a metal base. No one's suggesting permanent wires, only that the wires should decay using the same timer as the rest of the metal base they're part of.

I'd agree with that change.  I think they remain the same as wood because they were set that way before cryofridges.   At the time, if you let your wires decay, that meant all your dinos also decayed.   

They most likely intended for players to put their cryofridges and tek generators on the ground in the middle of a base to allow players to extend the time those things will last without the need for wires. 

11 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I'd agree with that change.  I think they remain the same as wood because they were set that way before cryofridges.   At the time, if you let your wires decay, that meant all your dinos also decayed.   

They most likely intended for players to put their cryofridges and tek generators on the ground in the middle of a base to allow players to extend the time those things will last without the need for wires. 

Personally, what I think they intended was to make some aspects the game pointlessly annoying in the name of "realism" and/or "survival". The decay time of regular generators and regular refrigerators is 16 days, this was a bad decision right from the beginning. Even before cryrofridges and the TEK layer had never been added to the game it was already a bad decision, wiring always should have had the same decay timer as the rest of the metal tier.

Archived