Ark: Reimagined

ObstinateSparrow

Suggestion

This is just a weird idea I had.  Ark as it is now is a mess full of patches and redundancies in its code, not to mention code that doesn't do anything.  So I was thinking when Ark is complete and winding down in the shadow of Ark 2, it would be cool if a remastered version of Ark were to be made.  I see this as something that would be probably at least four to five years down the line.

First off, the game would be made to run smoothly.  Unfortunately, this means that Ark would need to be recreated from the ground up.  But this isn't entirely bad news, since it would be fully based on the original.  The game could be made to run better on less powerful systems.  The result could even be a game that can run smoothly on the Switch.

Second, and this is important to me (and likely a surprising number of people), the ENTIRE game would have a physical release.  There would be no need for downloads.  This will save a ton of space on the hard drive.  It would most likely be multi-disc (or multi-cartridge). 

Thirdly, the game would have single-player and multi-player modes.  If there is no internet server, then atleast the option of playing locally with friends.

Fourth, the remastered Ark could have new creatures.  I don't know what they would be, but I have some ideas.  Also, creatures from the free maps (like Deinonychus or Tropeognathus) could have spawn spots on story maps.  Since it'll be a recreation, the sky's the limit.

Like I said, this is down the line.  But I'm willing to wait five years for a complete Ark collection.

(For those of you who will say there already is an Ark collection... there isn't.  It's not for any system I own, and most of the content has to be downloaded.  I prefer games that I just pop in and play, like in the old days.  There is no reason Ark could not be made this way.)

Edited by ObstinateSparrow

4 replies to this server topic

This would be very awesome and I love it. I've always thought that some of the story maps could have had so much more content in them, for example:

Aberration:

...Could have an expanded surface biome, that covered more of, if not the entire map area, unique creatures up there, or even adding an area that allowed you to go on the side of the ark, if you were using rock drakes or climbing gear. Said area would be able to be accessed by simply walking off the edge of the ark, or by finding a hole you could walk out of in the deepest chambers. I'm sure there is a ton more you could do with it, but this was what was on my mind.

Extinction:

...Could have used a richer city zone, allowing you to go inside of the buildings, and finding random notes from the people who once lived there, documenting what life was like for them. More robots to reprogram and fight would of course be cool.

Some new weather events would be incredible as well. Since the map has no day/night cycle, and is locked in a perpetual day, there would be an element storm of sorts, that would darken the map significantly, to simulate a sort of nighttime. Like how it was at the end of Aberration. I'd also say increase the frequency of the meteor showers and the solar eclipses, since they're so cool. The eclipse should also last a bit longer, and make the map really cold. Enough to warrant the use of warmer clothes.

Also, the way the titans work should be changed. Each of the proto arks should have an area in the center where a titan is always patrolling on a set path. They wouldn't be able to leave this area, just to ensure they don't destroy everyone's bases that are in the proto arks. The "titan zone" would have a valuable new Extinction exclusive resource in it, that would vary with the different arks. This would make sure there's a reason to go there despite the risk of getting attacked by the titan. Whenever a titan is killed, you could either make it so that the player would have to go through a cave in order to respawn them, or just have them respawn naturally after some time.

There would also be 1 new titan that would patrol the regular wasteland, outside city limits, to add a bit of extra danger to exploring the wasteland.

For the meks, I'd say they should have 4 variants, based around the meks that Santiago made for Helena, Mei Yin, Kazuma, and himself. Or add the weapons that those meks used, and allow us to customize our own mek with the different weapons, similar to the PRAWN suit in Subnautica.

Genesis: Part 1:

One of my main issues with this one isn't the fact that it has biome teleportation, but how the teleporting was implemented. Instead of being able to teleport pretty much anywhere, from anywhere, there should be "access points" across the different biomes that you would have to travel to in order to go to a different biome. For example, there would be 2 access points in the arctic, one of them would be on the east side, and would grant you access to the bog biome. The other one would be on the north side, and grant access to the lunar biome. Something like that.

Genesis: Part 2:

The thing I don't like about the map all that much, is that Rockwell's proliferation is a pretty small area, when it should be a big chunk of the map. it seems like currently, the map is roughly 40% Eden zone, 40% Rockwell's garden, 10% space, 5% S.U.M.P, and 5% proliferation. That might be accurate, it might not. The point being, Rockwell's proliferation should be much bigger, and play a bigger role in exploring the map, and in the missions.

The missions are pretty good in my opinion, better then Genesis 1. However, I HATE the fact that they take place in the simulation, and not in the real world. You're on an absolutely MASSIVE ship, and you only ever see a tiny section of the rings. So why not have some of the missions take place on other parts of the ship? Imagine being in a mission, looking out a window, and seeing the ship from a completely different angle, it would be SO awesome! Have some of them, like Star Dolphin take place outside of the ship, and instead of fighting the master controller, have us fight a combat drone from the ship, taken over by Rockwell. Make the drone mutated into part organic creature like the summoner, and part autonomous ship.

Anyways, these are some of my ideas primarily taken from the Numenera Ark campaign I plan to do. Of which I think are pretty cool. If I get any more, I might post them here.

TLDR: I like your idea.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KingOfTheFort said:

Kind of off-topic, but if you're on steam on PC you can add custom arguments that will make your game run worlds better, if you're having FPS issues. You can even get acceptable FPS on low end systems. I have a 1030 ti sff 2gb graphics card with an i5 3rd series cpu and 16gb of ddr3 ram and a 1tb sata3 ssd and the game runs perfectly fine for me after having added these.
Right click on ARK: Survival Evolved in your steam library, click on "Properties".
image.png.c95a425fc42dda80e9e5faf83a8710ef.png
You should have this section here. Here are the arguments that I use:
-sm4 -d3d10 -high -nomansky -lowmemory -full -noaafonts -PREFERREDPROCESSOR 4 NOTE: Change this to the amount of processors your CPU has
Should help out a lot if you're having trouble.

That's great for Steam users, but I play on Switch.

Speaking of Switch, there are some games that look amazing on it.  A re-imagined Ark could too.  And if the re-imagined Ark were made to run smoothly on Switch, it should be able to run smoothly on all the other systems, since Switch is the least powerful of the lot.  And a lot of money could be made from a complete Ark on Switch.  I know I'd buy it!  Provided, of course, that everything is included on the cartridges.  Also, some old games were multi-disc... I don't know if multi-cartridge could be a thing, but I see no reason it couldn't be.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:15 AM, TimeBomb2003 said:

This would be very awesome and I love it. I've always thought that some of the story maps could have had so much more content in them, for example:

Aberration:

...Could have an expanded surface biome, that covered more of, if not the entire map area, unique creatures up there, or even adding an area that allowed you to go on the side of the ark, if you were using rock drakes or climbing gear. Said area would be able to be accessed by simply walking off the edge of the ark, or by finding a hole you could walk out of in the deepest chambers. I'm sure there is a ton more you could do with it, but this was what was on my mind.

Extinction:

...Could have used a richer city zone, allowing you to go inside of the buildings, and finding random notes from the people who once lived there, documenting what life was like for them. More robots to reprogram and fight would of course be cool.

Some new weather events would be incredible as well. Since the map has no day/night cycle, and is locked in a perpetual day, there would be an element storm of sorts, that would darken the map significantly, to simulate a sort of nighttime. Like how it was at the end of Aberration. I'd also say increase the frequency of the meteor showers and the solar eclipses, since they're so cool. The eclipse should also last a bit longer, and make the map really cold. Enough to warrant the use of warmer clothes.

Also, the way the titans work should be changed. Each of the proto arks should have an area in the center where a titan is always patrolling on a set path. They wouldn't be able to leave this area, just to ensure they don't destroy everyone's bases that are in the proto arks. The "titan zone" would have a valuable new Extinction exclusive resource in it, that would vary with the different arks. This would make sure there's a reason to go there despite the risk of getting attacked by the titan. Whenever a titan is killed, you could either make it so that the player would have to go through a cave in order to respawn them, or just have them respawn naturally after some time.

There would also be 1 new titan that would patrol the regular wasteland, outside city limits, to add a bit of extra danger to exploring the wasteland.

For the meks, I'd say they should have 4 variants, based around the meks that Santiago made for Helena, Mei Yin, Kazuma, and himself. Or add the weapons that those meks used, and allow us to customize our own mek with the different weapons, similar to the PRAWN suit in Subnautica.

Genesis: Part 1:

One of my main issues with this one isn't the fact that it has biome teleportation, but how the teleporting was implemented. Instead of being able to teleport pretty much anywhere, from anywhere, there should be "access points" across the different biomes that you would have to travel to in order to go to a different biome. For example, there would be 2 access points in the arctic, one of them would be on the east side, and would grant you access to the bog biome. The other one would be on the north side, and grant access to the lunar biome. Something like that.

Genesis: Part 2:

The thing I don't like about the map all that much, is that Rockwell's proliferation is a pretty small area, when it should be a big chunk of the map. it seems like currently, the map is roughly 40% Eden zone, 40% Rockwell's garden, 10% space, 5% S.U.M.P, and 5% proliferation. That might be accurate, it might not. The point being, Rockwell's proliferation should be much bigger, and play a bigger role in exploring the map, and in the missions.

The missions are pretty good in my opinion, better then Genesis 1. However, I HATE the fact that they take place in the simulation, and not in the real world. You're on an absolutely MASSIVE ship, and you only ever see a tiny section of the rings. So why not have some of the missions take place on other parts of the ship? Imagine being in a mission, looking out a window, and seeing the ship from a completely different angle, it would be SO awesome! Have some of them, like Star Dolphin take place outside of the ship, and instead of fighting the master controller, have us fight a combat drone from the ship, taken over by Rockwell. Make the drone mutated into part organic creature like the summoner, and part autonomous ship.

Anyways, these are some of my ideas primarily taken from the Numenera Ark campaign I plan to do. Of which I think are pretty cool. If I get any more, I might post them here.

TLDR: I like your idea.

TimeBomb: I love your ideas.  Ark is amazing, but it could be even more amazing.  I think a re-imagining would be a great opportunity for, well, missed opportunities.  And also an opportunity to do away with Ark's many bugs.

• Like 1

Something else I forgot to mention: there could be some new creatures.  There are several honorable mentions in the creature suggestion forum that didn't quite get enough votes.  (I particularly like the idea for a mountain goat!)  There could be a few new critters for each map.

Another idea I had is a 'real creature only' mode.  This mode would only feature (you guessed it) animals based on real creatures.  I suppose this means adding megalania back to Aberration and giving them an upgrade.  Also, a goat here would help you get around.

Ark has so much potential, even now.