PVP overhaul or new mode for ARK II

TheRexAdvocate

Hi all,

Ark has a special place in my heart as I'm sure it does for all of you. The topic has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to share my thoughts here and hopefully get support to get this added into ARK II.

I enjoy PVP the most, but there's one big problem... It's unbalanced. I think most players will agree with this.

What I would wish for is to either completely overhaul the PVP standards in ARK II, or add this as a third mode, perhaps called: PVP Deadzone e.g.

Essentially, everything is the same as regular PVP, however similar to GTA V or Escape From Tarkov, you have your own mini Ark that only you can access, in where you can safely store all your resources and creatures. The only way you can die or lose gear is what you bring out to the main map and if you get killed.

I think this will encourage a much more balanced and combat focused experience, rather than the current PVP meta of soak turrets with turtle, C4 base, steal all their stuff.

Plus it's really brutal and discouraging to be a casual player who loses hours/days/weeks worth of work all in one moment at the hands of a no life Ark PVP sweat. Imagine any other game like COD, GTA, where you can work for months to unlock camos e.g. and someone just took them all. It's too brutal and discourages allot of players from actually enjoying PVP.

The mini, personal base Arks could work as follows...

A 4x6 Ark at LVL 55

A 6x8 Ark at LVL 65

A 8x10 Ark at LVL 75

A 12x16 Ark at LVL 85

A 18x20 Ark at LVL 95

...and so on. You can admit other players and tribe members into your personal Ark base, but they can't take or damage anything/one, they can only pickup what you drop if you choose to share with them.

Obviously this would be tweaked to suit ARK, but it's just an idea I had that I really hope gets implemented. ARK is amazing game that has so much potential to be even more in ARK II, and I sincerely hope they implement something similar to this so people can have a PVP experience without the brutal risk of losing every single thing they worked for.

Stay safe exploring the Ark,

-TheRexAdvocate

That is an interesting idea, it goes way further than an offline raid protection. But i dont see why people would build any proper bases on the actual map anymore then. If you can bring items and creatures to the unraidable room and build whatever you want inside that room, thats all you need. And then there is no base raiding, no defensive base building and everything around that anymore, i imagine that would be pretty boring. An item upload like we have in ARK 1 but without the decay would be better in my opinion, but i dont really need any of that, a good offline raid protection is all i´d want personally.

As someone with over 8000 hours of ARK experience all on Official PVP servers I can say with absolute certainty this would not be a good idea. While its true no one likes to be raided especially while offline, the system proposed here would create a dead and barren world void of traces of other players that help make the servers feel alive.

In addition there would be little need for players to invest time in building proper bases and the gameplay would devolve into high reward no risk game for casuals.  Raiding what little exists on the server would be an exercise in futility since all the juicy stuff would be tucked away behind a shield of invulnerability. It would be in essence PVP without consequences, a sort of dumbed down deathmatch where you get to respawn infinitely and lose nothing. 

I like this kind of idea. They could even put in towns that you can visit and purchase a room to store stuff in and if you don't pay rent you get kicked out. Leaving your stuff open to be stolen by others. They could even add in stores you rent in order to sell stuff with an in game currency. Now it should be limited to like 1 vault and 1 cryofridge or something like that. This would also give pve stuff to do within a pvp world. It would be even more cool if they added in guards so that if you pvp  or steal within the town a bounty is put on your head and guards and players will go after you. It would be amazing to have different roles within a pvp world and you don't have to worry about constant war, offline raids and insiding. Like zones that allow you to build stuff like a pub or horse racing or a game me and some friends made called crab ball and trolls can't come along and destroy it obviosuly would would rent this these areas also. There could even be an arena to fight in and earn in game currency or missions that npc character send you on.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

In addition there would be little need for players to invest time in building proper bases and the gameplay would devolve into high reward no risk game for casuals.  Raiding what little exists on the server would be an exercise in futility since all the juicy stuff would be tucked away behind a shield of invulnerability. It would be in essence PVP without consequences, a sort of dumbed down deathmatch where you get to respawn infinitely and lose nothing. 

Something needs to change as the time it takes to build a base worth caring about vs 4 C4 to destroy is pretty horrid..... either C4 needs to do way less damage or add options to let us re-enforce the base (add armor plating to the wall, ceiling etc to raise the Durability and each upgrade costs more and more materials so the defender has to farm more to defend and the raider needs to bring more C4 

Or 

Add in more Tek Creations small automatous creations that roam around base that repair foundations, walls, ceilings etc using material from a specific storage container (limited slots so it needs to be refilled, like a trough)

6 hours ago, SgtChop said:

Something needs to change as the time it takes to build a base worth caring about vs 4 C4 to destroy is pretty horrid..... either C4 needs to do way less damage or add options to let us re-enforce the base (add armor plating to the wall, ceiling etc to raise the Durability and each upgrade costs more and more materials so the defender has to farm more to defend and the raider needs to bring more C4 

Or 

Add in more Tek Creations small automatous creations that roam around base that repair foundations, walls, ceilings etc using material from a specific storage container (limited slots so it needs to be refilled, like a trough)

A solution would be to add tiered structures. Say 1 - 5. 1 is the current 10 000 health each one adds another 10000 but is 2x more expensive. This would allow for still compact but strong bases at the cost of expense.

16 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

A solution would be to add tiered structures. Say 1 - 5. 1 is the current 10 000 health each one adds another 10000 but is 2x more expensive. This would allow for still compact but strong bases at the cost of expense.

Which could lead in nicely to a research function..... you need to research (what ever that means, give up XP or Mats etc) to learn the next tier lvl

so the personal mini ark would have many building materials, but no midgame-lategame materials, items and dinos. so everything you need to progress in the game after the starter's point is in the main pvp ark. the mini ark would have no river rocks, no obsidian, no sarcos, no ankys, no crystals, and rocks won't give metal (or maybe they do, but it's much rarer than the main pvp ark)

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tschon said:

This idea would be dope because I would build bases just to see if someone can raid it and I would attack bases to just see if I could destroy it and in the end nobody really lost anything super important or if they did atleast they didnt lose everything. It would almost be like clash of clans ark style.

Which would in essence make PVP gameplay rather pointless as it would be just like some death match game. The round ends and you start fresh with all your gear back. An entirely unrewarding experience for the victor.

When I raid a base I aim to do maximum damage, all tames passive or not have to go, so too any structures of value and if the base is held up by just a few pillars and I have enough explosives I will happily knock it all down if I can. In effect I am looking to hit that big reset button on their base and their progress.

Whether you raid someone's base, kill someone chopping trees, turn their allies against them, mess with their kibble taming or kill their super breeder dino - the aim is the same. The whole idea of raiding and PVP its to set the enemy back so that you have the advantage over them.

Archived