Transferring from ARK 1 to ARK 2

slejo

Hello.

Can any Dev tell me if there will be some kind of transfer characters, structures, dinos from Ark 1 world to Ark 2.

I plan to stop playing Ark 1 and will be waiting for Ark 2 so...

I just need to know if i need to save any character of structures now in official cluster to use it in another world or just forget Ark 1 for good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with GP. I doubt it is possible anyways due to differences in how the old and new game work. And it wouldnt make sense allowing to transfer character in any way imo. For wildcard it doesnt make sense, because allowing players to take over a high level character is completely unfair for new customers, leading to less sells. And the number of old customers that are too lazy to level a new char in an entirely new game and make the decision to buy ark 2 dependent on being able to transfer their old char is probably tiny. For me as a player it doesnt make sense either. I would definitely not want to start that new game with a max level character, skipping big parts of the content, missing out on the fun.

I dont understand why people think or hope any transfers would be possible.

1 hour ago, acat said:

I dont understand why people think or hope any transfers would be possible.

That's what discussions are made for.

It can be any idea - for example to have something to memory of our bases and dinos made for years? It don't need to be playable character. Maybe just a dermis of our fav dinos or characters that can be used for making custom memory halls in Ark2?

Its a non-cost brainstorm, man. Relax!

39 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They can't let go of the pixels.

Man, if you don't use your imagination in a game, book, or movie, these things go blank.

And just as we like the heroes of movie series, we identify with the characters and feel their life, adventures  and fate, the same way we get used to the virtual "friends" in the Ark.

Imagination is good thing. I suggest you try it sometime.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, slejo said:

Man, if you don't use your imagination in a game, book, or movie, these things go blank.

And just as we like the heroes of movie series, we identify with the characters and feel their live and fate, the same way we get used to the virtual "friends" in the Ark.

I suggest you try it sometime.

Just a game my friend, just a video game.

4 hours ago, slejo said:

It can be any idea - for example to have something to memory of our bases and dinos made for years? It don't need to be playable character. Maybe just a dermis of our fav dinos or characters that can be used for making custom memory halls in Ark2?

3 hours ago, slejo said:

ARK is not a Pacman, weary man.
Open world game played for years is not just a video game - its became kind of lifestyle.

11 hours ago, slejo said:

I plan to stop playing Ark 1 and will be waiting for Ark 2 so...

I just need to know if i need to save any character of structures now in official cluster to use it in another world or just forget Ark 1 for good.

If those memories need to be more than just screenshots or recorded gameplay, and the lifestyle is so important...
Why stop playing ARK 1?

ARK 2 is supposed to be in a newer version of Unreal wich is the ultimate chance for the devs to break with the burden of all unsolved issues. The less links to the old version, the better the odds of making the game better!
(Or should I say "playable" instead of "better"? Since the last couple of days the official PS servers are on a new level of unplayable due to the large ammounts of new players.)

7 hours ago, MMaas said:

If those memories need to be more than just screenshots or recorded gameplay, and the lifestyle is so important...
Why stop playing ARK 1?

I wrote that I plan to finish and I am thinking about possible keeping some of my stuff for the future. I feel a bit weird being attacked by you commenters. Why? After all, I want to be informed about the plans and discuss the possibilities. Is it so terrible?

5 hours ago, slejo said:

I wrote that I plan to finish and I am thinking about possible keeping some of my stuff for the future. I feel a bit weird being attacked by you commenters. Why? After all, I want to be informed about the plans and discuss the possibilities. Is it so terrible?

Take a breath please, no one was attacking you. It is just that some of us wonder why some people have such unrealistic expectations. After all, the little we do know is that it is supposed to be in a new engine.
Your earlier responses made already clear you felt attacked and to be fair, your response to one of the volunteer moderators was kind of agressive. Deserved or not, no comment from my side on that ;)

Alltogether it made me wonder why it was so important to you since you planned to stop playing untill ARK2 instead playing till the end.

From a business standpoint it could be beneficial to allow players to transfer. Especially if they could make you buy Ark 1 to get all the tames in Ark 2 like Pokémon does. From what little we do know about Ark 2 this seems unlikely as Ark 2 is offering a vary different experience from Ark 1. 

Preparing for the future is not a bad idea. If Ark 2 allowed trading many survivors could trade Ark 2 items for Ark 1 items much like they do now on different server types that don’t allow direct trading. In the end until we get more information it’s a gamble. 

Personally I get attached and see it’s not likely to allow transfers so plan B make new friends. New friend here I come 

FE2674BD-3BE7-441E-8976-4FD09069D7D9.jpeg.c6d14cbb2a8fa12aabe7e55b86195867.jpeg

3 hours ago, MMaas said:

why it was so important to you since you planned to stop playing untill ARK2 instead playing till the end.

Plan is a plan. It can be reached or not. If there will be any transfer Ark 1 to Ark 2 i can just leave my plan and for example turn my bases in minimal survive mode - keeping it for future not playing too intense.

I'm kinda hoping that when Ark2 comes along WC will do a rolling shut down of most of the Ark1 official servers and allow us to download the save files similar to what happened with legacy.

That means every player can save a copy of their characters, bases and dinos, and play their old map in single player or on a private server to finish personal goals or just to continue playing - leaving just a small amount still up for those who want to continue.

I am, ofc, hoping Ark2 blows Ark1 out of the water - which is gonna be tough as I think Ark1 is awesome as it is :)

The journey is just as important as the destination in ARK. In fact, the journey is, in a way, the destination (that makes no sense but hear me out). ARK is a progressive game. You do stuff in the journey, and that's what makes the meat of the game. It's that feeling of finding something new, taming your first rex, doing your first boss fight. That journey is what makes ARK so special. Granted, that is the way most survival games are set up. But still. I've said it before and I'll say it again-in ARK, the journey's just as important as the destination. Just using cheats to jump through the maps isn't all that fun. Neither is summoning a single level 1,000,000 giga with all of it's stats pumped into melee and one-shotting the overseer (at least, I guess, as you can't exactly spawn a level 1,000,000, but it works for the metaphor, so yeah).

On 3/11/2022 at 12:21 PM, MMaas said:

What is the point of a new game if you just want continiue your old game?

I could see some leftover family tree left for your new character.  It could be an extra dimension to content to have some sort of built in history to live up to and be compared to.  It doesn't have to be a free power boost, it could be an extra challenge instead.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 hours ago, slejo said:

Heh.. I can ask the same way.. what is the point of naming Ark 2 as ARK if i cant continue my old game?

How many second or third games in a franchise allow you to transfer stuff and continue from your old game?

Also Ark II is being developed on a much newer engine, we don't need old rubbish messing anything up.

Also i'm not sure we quite know exactly when the story is set, so it might not even make sense for the story for anything from Ark 1 to be in Ark 2.

5 hours ago, GP said:

Also i'm not sure we quite know exactly when the story is set, so it might not even make sense for the story for anything from Ark 1 to be in Ark 2.

Have you played Genesis 2? After defeating Rockwell, part of the ship (exactly "green" ring) crashes onto the new planet.

In my opinion

EITHER player hero dies in the Exo-mek and he respawns as Santiago just before crashing into a new planet

OR player hero survives landing (armored-saved by Exo-mek) onto new planet. At the same time, Santiago, as a character elsewhere on the planet, spawns and tries to survive crash in the green ring

The story is clearly being continued.

And it does not have to be transferred OLD GAME CODE - it is about character data and / or dinos converted into new game engine.

Archived