Mirrors now work!

maxplanck58

I didn't see this in the patch notes, and I am not quite sure if this is just an artifact of my graphics settings changing without my knowledge, but:

I have never seen mirrors work before other than a little light reflection.  Now if I place a mirror, it actually works and I can see my character and the room being reflected.  As soon as I stop the game and load it back up, it is back to just a slightly light-reflective gray surface.

• 4 months later...

But it still is 32 and depends on a 50 engram to unlock. Idiotic development team. The lack of polish this game has (after 7 years!) and the complete lack of thought that went into its design is abhorrent. Absolutely no faith for Ark 2 if any of the original team are involved.

They can't design systems. They can't fix bugs. They don't care about QoL. They don't care about wasting people's time - driving away a large player base. They can't foster a healthy community. The studio refused to implement, year after year, (or were incapable of implementing) better systems while also refusing to hire enough support staff to deal with the problems they weren't fixing via code. Toxicity is actively fostered (in the veil of RP) via in-game items. Regional servers or proper language features (filtering) were ignored - leaving it as a constant annoyance to the players.

A mirror! I give up on this inept game designed by sadists. Ark is lucky the modding community is on point - and that Rust never released a Dino DLC.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, DreamingVoid said:

But it still is 32 and depends on a 50 engram to unlock. Idiotic development team. The lack of polish this game has (after 7 years!) and the complete lack of thought that went into its design is abhorrent. Absolutely no faith for Ark 2 if any of the original team are involved.

They can't design systems. They can't fix bugs. They don't care about QoL. They don't care about wasting people's time - driving away a large player base. They can't foster a healthy community. The studio refused to implement, year after year, (or were incapable of implementing) better systems while also refusing to hire enough support staff to deal with the problems they weren't fixing via code. Toxicity is actively fostered (in the veil of RP) via in-game items. Regional servers or proper language features (filtering) were ignored - leaving it as a constant annoyance to the players.

A mirror! I give up on this inept game designed by sadists. Ark is lucky the modding community is on point - and that Rust never released a Dino DLC.

Other than that, how do you feel about the game? 😆

Devs always seemed really one-tenth assed about rp items.

Like the rug they added with aberration, just seemed so random to add just that and nothing else. Not other shapes or sizes or really any other items in that category..

Really hope this changed with ARK 2 so we don't have to rely on mods for sooooo much that should have been part of the base game.

On 8/2/2022 at 1:07 AM, DirkInSA said:

I did not even take note that you can build a mirror - why would anyone do this - other than to see the effect of beer goggles LOL

Its one of the very few aesthetic building items in the game.

Overall arks building is much more complex then in Conan, but Conan had tons of cosmetic items to put around your base to make it feel like a unique home. I'm hoping Ark 2 steps up the building interiors a lot.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, Gelantious said:

Devs always seemed really one-tenth assed about rp items.

Like the rug they added with aberration, just seemed so random to add just that and nothing else. Not other shapes or sizes or really any other items in that category..

Really hope this changed with ARK 2 so we don't have to rely on mods for sooooo much that should have been part of the base game.

I don't think the rug is as random as it first appears, it muffles ur footsteps over metal foundations, which a lot of people complained about as it can b super annoying to some. Not me, but  I remember it bothered a lot of ppl.

8 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Overall arks building is much more complex then in Conan

Yeah, Conan's building was horrible - nothing ever clipped what it was supposed to LOL - but sure, more variety.

8 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

So I watch everyone struggle to place everything in 3rd person.

Mmmm - I ain't sold on playing Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed with added Dinos. As it stands I think Ark 2 may be a something I skip ....

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Mmmm - I ain't sold on playing Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed with added Dinos. As it stands I think Ark 2 may be a something I skip ....

I'll give it a shot when it comes out. But unless they pull something off, I loathe 3rd person souls-style games. It's a huge bummer really.

10 hours ago, Luizza said:

I don't think the rug is as random as it first appears, it muffles ur footsteps over metal foundations, which a lot of people complained about as it can b super annoying to some. Not me, but  I remember it bothered a lot of ppl.

Right you are :)

Not something I pay attention as I rarely have the sounds that high, or music is overpowering it. Plus never really build in metal, always seem to jump from stone to tek.
But only playing pve so maybe metal is more popular in pvp?

An easier solution would just be to change the walking sound for metal foundation/ceiling, just lower the volume on that one sound effect alone? Instead of adding an item that players have to spend x amount of time crafting and placing all over their base. Christ on a stick, imagine having to repair and replace all of them after an attack....

10 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

Every base I build must have a working bathroom with a shower, toilet, mirror and sink.  No exceptions!

So much better than the shop that made plastic silverware for Taco Bell back in 2007.  They only had a hole in the ground, no sink or mirror.  You would make a good factory manager!

Archived