Breeding is way too tedious

itachi11115

This is just a rant, honestly. If you don't want to hear complaining, don't read it lol

So, I don't understand how anyone can possibly put in the time to breed a fully mutated super dino in this game. Every guide I find says to tame a ton of whatever type of dino you're trying to breed in order to find the ones with the best stats. But even on highest difficulty, it's incredibly rare to find a max level dino of a given type. Once you do find it, you spend a tremendous amount of narcotics to knock it out, only for there to be like a 5% chance it has the stats you want. And then you have to find a partner for it, sit there and breed them repeatedly, and keep this process up until they have colors you like and crazy good stats.

I'm on a single player world with breeding and maturation sped up, and it still takes too long for my tastes

I'm flying around gen 2 looking for rexes and in an hour I've only found one high level one. With all this in mind, how in God's name does anyone actually breed a good dino on an official server? The amount of work to do it is absolutely insane, there's no reason for it to be that hard

Well it takes time. My current line im breeding is going very slow. I have 200 females which i breed roughly every day or two depending on mating timers, out of that 200 eggs i will get maybe 3 mutations and out of those 3 i find about only 1 egg of use to me per WEEK..

There is no way to speed it up other than more breeders but its becoming such a boring process now im in half mind to give it up. This is all on official servers.

8 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

Well it takes time. My current line im breeding is going very slow. I have 200 females which i breed roughly every day or two depending on mating timers, out of that 200 eggs i will get maybe 3 mutations and out of those 3 i find about only 1 egg of use to me per WEEK..

There is no way to speed it up other than more breeders but its becoming such a boring process now im in half mind to give it up. This is all on official servers.

Yeah I barely have the patience to breed pokemon, and that doesn't take weeks on end to start seeing results lol I don't get why they don't make it easier. 

11 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

You can set the difficulty so that creatures spawn with a higher max level: I have mine set to 300.  That gives you a bit of a head start in finding high-level tames.

My difficulty is set to max and yet I have to spawn in an average of 10 dinos before I get a high level one

18 hours ago, itachi11115 said:

how in God's name does anyone actually breed a good dino on an official server?

Tribes.

Other than single-player mode, ARK was designed for tribes not individuals. The fundamental assumption is that tribe members will divide and conquer. Different members of the tribe will each have areas that they like best and will specialize somewhat. Some people like building, some like taming, some like farming, some like breeding, etc. When you put those people together in a tribe and everyone does the stuff that they like best then breeding is less of an issue.

On top of that, putting it quite simply, ARK is designed to have a lot of time sinks and busy work, which is why about 70% of all ARK players do not play on Official servers. They play on Unofficial servers, private servers and single-player where you can use mods and adjust the game settings.

The amount of work to do it is absolutely insane, there's no reason for it to be that hard

Sounds like you're a member of the 70% majority who don't want to play on Official servers. The good news is that ARK allows you to completely customize the game to your own personal tastes on single-player. Between mods & settings you have the ability to make it as hard or easy as you want, enjoy the game on your own terms.

This is just a rant, honestly. If you don't want to hear complaining, don't read it lol

So, I don't understand how anyone can possibly put in the time to breed a fully mutated super dino in this game. Every guide I find says to tame a ton of whatever type of dino you're trying to breed in order to find the ones with the best stats. But even on highest difficulty, it's incredibly rare to find a max level dino of a given type. Once you do find it, you spend a tremendous amount of narcotics to knock it out, only for there to be like a 5% chance it has the stats you want. And then you have to find a partner for it, sit there and breed them repeatedly, and keep this process up until they have colors you like and crazy good stats.

I'm on a single player world with breeding and maturation sped up, and it still takes too long for my tastes

I'm flying around gen 2 looking for rexes and in an hour I've only found one high level one. With all this in mind, how in God's name does anyone actually breed a good dino on an official server? The amount of work to do it is absolutely insane, there's no reason for it to be that hard

We have max damage on so many dinos now, they are maxing out dinos that no one cares about just for giggles.  You got to remember, there are teenagers who have no lives, plenty of adults with no lives, and now w/ maewings and incubators and mission hex rewards on gen1 and gen2.... you can do the bare minimum to achieve the same results we had to give up sleep over back in the day.

Not to mention all the gains made from those that found bugs to exploit........ but even w/out exploits now, most everything is super easy to maintain a process with minimum efforts.

Archived