fanfiction My Single Player Adventure on Scorched Earth

rpicardi1

My single player game on Scorched Earth. (Not to be confused with The Story of Scorched Earth which is a separate role playing adventure.)

Settings; Single player with taming, harvesting, leveling set at 3X.

MODS; Ultra Stacks. Kraken’s Better Dinos. Castle, Keeps, and Forts Remastered.

The adventure.

The map seems to be more well balanced as far as the wild dinos that spawn in from what it was playing it in the past. There were just too many predators out there in the starter zone as well as hanging around all of the sources for water. Much of that has since been re-balanced especially being able to find logical places where one can shelter from the afternoon heat blast. Still, this is not a map for a first time player. There are tricks one needs to be aware of for survival on this map such as waterskins are worthless, one can pick wood from the little pine trees, and you get rehydrated by harvesting a cactus with a pick or hatchet, drinking from a water seep, or from a blue Jug Bug, and building made from wood, stone, or metal are ovens in the daytime.

My character Desert Pete is spawned in at the first easy point on this brutal map. It is located in the Eastern Low Desert. While I have spawned in this area before, there are several spawn points for this location, some good, some not so good. This one, located near the Green Obelisk, is one of those that is not so good which I will soon explain why.

Like all the starting points on this map, I spawn in with no engrams other then the default. I am already getting the “You are hot” warning as I am nearly run over by a Morellotop that is being chased by a Direwolf. Thankfully, it doesn’t agro on me as it keeps chasing the Morellotop. Wonderful, I even see a pack of raptors out hunting as well. I could find getting myself killed before I am able to get started on this map. It has happened before.

The first task at hand is to get out of this area and down to the Southern Canyon before the afternoon heat arrives. The reason, that area is sheltered from the heat. There is also a pond that is free from Karpos in the spot I am heading as well as several metal nodes close by. Running is out of the question as that drains water quickly in this heat. A pick is quickly crafted and with the first three levelups, a hatchet, spears, and some thatch clothes which offer some thermal protection.

Continuing down towards the canyon area, I am able to obtain some hide from a dead raptor. So many of them are low level that a pack of Morleys or Doeds can easily take them out.There are cactus in the area which on this map have the ability to refill your water meter by just hitting them with the pick. Eating berries and cactus sap only slows down the water drain. Also, Jug Bugs, another water source, are rare in this area. I continue down the slope adding weight and fortitude as I get more levels.

The spawn in point has placed me much further away from where I want to go then expected. At least, I now have a boomerang and bolas as I get hit with an overheating warning. The priority now is to get into the Southern Canyon before heat stroke sets in.

Finally, with my destination in sight, the overheat warning vanishes. Now by a reliable water source, I proceed to get a starter hut built from thatch as this is the only structure, other then Adobe or a tent, that will provide some protection from the weather. A 2x2x2 thatch hut is built.

With the bow and arrow unlocked, I get those crafted up and do some hunting in the nearby area. Small game is scarce around here as I need the hide for a spawn bed, forge, and leather armor for the night. I manage to obtain sufficient resources for the campfire, forge, mortise and pestle by nightfall. I cook up half of the meat and split the rest to spoil for trancs.

From a nearby metal rock in the pond, I gather just 22 metal ore for the Better Dino Workbench and a pick. Interesting, it has started to rain as I proceed to work on that task along with berry and fiber gathering. I get that processing as it starts to get too cold to be out for the night.

By morning, I have the workbench, a metal pick, and tranc arrows.

I mine the rest of the metal rock and get them smelting down in the forge.

Spotting two raptors, up in the hill towards the Green Obelisk, I head up with bolas and tranc arrows to go make them my first tame. As usual, things don’t go as planned.

I get the first one down, but the second one runs off getting into a fight with the Ankylos. It takes ten tranc arrows to knock the first raptor out as I am having issues getting head shots with this feisty thing. Finally out, he gets tamed. It is a high level male. The other dead raptor and an ankylo are harvested for their meat and hide. Interesting, the ankylo yields toughened hide. In no time, I have gathered a good stock of meat and hide with him.

Coming back to camp, a low level Hell Pig is fighting some Doeds, it gets killed by them. I gather the meat from it which happens to be a type of bacon that can be used for quick healing of a meat eater but is poor for taming.

A thatch ramp is made so that I can get the raptor up on the roof for the time being. It is a pain to snap into place as it will only snap along a wall. Later in the day, now armed with more tranc arrows on a crossbow, I find two more mid level raptors hunting in the canyon. This time, they are quickly bola and knocked out in under 30 seconds for taming. Unfortunately, for taming up for a pack, they are also males. A female raptor is most desired to give the pack a mate boost.

For the next couple of days, I keep searching for a good level female but find only low level males. When I do finally find one, it is a level 4 that gets quickly killed in a fight. A nearby supply drop gives me a complete set of desert armor.

Meanwhile, with three raptors parked on the roof and a tamed Morley, I place down a Villager’s Workbench so that I can get started on a secure pen for the tames. More raptors and hell pigs are starting to show up down here. The Morley proves useful in gathering larger amounts of wood from the hand pick able pine saplings. He is also good at getting thatch and cactus sap. It may be the dino mod as the Morley holds 1,000 units of water instead of 750. Also, the water stats do not show up on the wild ones unless you use a spyglass on them. A doed is obtained to mine the boulders for stone and sand. They get a 75% weight reduction on stone. I also find out that I am getting a 50% weight reduction on that heavy sand as well. A mega heat wave hits that evening but the location where I am at is sheltered from it’s effect. It’s freezing cold once it is over.

Wood continues to be an issue as it is needed for the forge, cooking, adobe, and the Villager’s structures. At least, there are the fast respawning pine saplings that yield lots of wood using the Morley. The yield from the Joshua and cactus Trees using a metal hatches are poor and even worse using the Morley. A Thorny Dragon or chainsaw is going to be needed.

As I am building the pen, I spot a tek raptor in the area. It is soon in a fight with the wild doeds which eventually kill it. Free scrap metal, electronics, oil and element dust.

I could also use a Parasaur just to have it for it’s alert status. So far, there have been very few in the area all being Level 12 or lower, so, I take them out with the raptors. The same with all of the kangaroos which get swarmed so quickly that they are dead and eaten before they know what has hit them.

As evening approaches, I hear a Jarboa sounding a storm warning. Tracking it down, I knock it out and have it tamed before the storm hits in the distance.

An Ankylo gets tamed in the morning. It gets put to work mining boulders so I can get spark powder production going for the torches and gunpowder.

Heading up towards the Green Obelisk, I go looking for a Thorny Dragon. I spot a Rex hunting in the area. Normally, they are found much closer to the Southern Desert area of the canyon. This one could be a threat. I stay out of it’s sight finding a mid level Thorny Dragon to tame. I call him a Thorny Beaver because of their wood gathering ability.

He gets lots of wood from the Joshua and other trees, but none from the cactus. At least, their harvest will be a lot more efficient on those uncommon wood sources.

So far, the area I am camped in remains relatively safe. The only danger are the raptors and the occasional Hell Pig. No wolves other then the ones I have seen near the Green Obelisk. Not so down the canyon in the direction of Nosta. In that pond are Karpos. I have even seen a Purvola near the pond, yes, they are a hazard on this map as well as Terror Birds and a thieving pack of Pegomaxes.

No flier so far. I may pay a visit to Lost Island to upload a dragon to the obelisk where on the last time I played it, I was able to obtain a Level 185 lightning dragon and her egg. Surprise, the Dotame cheat now works on the wild ones in single player. I may just head up in the mountain for now to tame an Argy.

Just a history on the Avatar used on my post in this forum. It originates from Scorched Earth when that map first came out. He is a gmsummons male that was then custom color mapped into the gray white one used for the Avatar. He happens to be named Avatar and was featured in the story Primitive Plus, Scorched Earth posted around the time that this form went online in 2016.

There is still a lot more to be done on this camp before I go download a dragon from another map or go looking for one in the Wyvern Trench. I need to build a new, larger Adobe workshop with a landing pad next to the dino pen and add couple of high level females to the raptor pack. Then a Blake for cave work or attacking the mantas for polymer. They do spawn in further to the South.

As always, the story may be complete here or added to as I continue to try out new things in single player.

2-19 Went out to look for a Perry. After searching for a good level one I found him up the path towards the Green Obelisk. With the T-Rex in the distance I was able to get him tamed and down into a safer location. Interesting is that he can harvest 50 wood from each of those small pine trees. That is more efficient then the Morley.

I finally saw a female raptor that was not such a low level. However she got into a fight with the Rex as her pack went after a Morley. That Rex has got to go as he is now in sight of my base.

With the existing raptor pack, I head out to confront it. It is soon located close by. Pack boost activated, I tear into it taking it out quickly. Ronnie gets the kill and the meat and hide. Ronnie 2 gets what the Rex had on her. It is a successful hunt with only minor injuries to the raptors.

As the day progresses, I spot two more raptors beyond the water hole. They are doing battle with three Morleys and some Doeds. One is killed but the two have managed to take out all of the Morleys. The survivor, a Level 76 Female. As her injuries are minor, I take her down with a bola and have her tamed in no time from the raw prime I got for from the T-Rex. With good stats for a level 76, the pack now has their mate boost.

The rest of the day is spent gathering resources to expand the pen as it is already starting to get crowded inside. I start an expansion into the cliff which is two panels high finding a way to incorporate foundations into it to have a pen expansion up there.

2-20-22 The expansion up on the bluff is working well. The building mod has allowed me to snap a foundation to the existing wall thus giving me a level foundation for the work lodge. The other end of the lower fence is an issue but I luck out when I can match the wall with the lodge by using a ½ and 1/3 wall section. A stairway now leads up from the lower level.

Construction is interrupted by Perry’s alert of a threat nearby. A low level raptor is spotted in the nearby mud pan. It is taken out when I also spot a tek raptor closer to my base. Taking it out, I decide that I better find the low level Equus that has been chilling out in the hollow of a large rock. Too late, the tek raptor must have ate it while I was chasing the other one down. Overall, this area has remained very quiet with most of the threats spawning in from higher up or away from the mud pan and nearby pond. That mud pan is an excellent source for pearls.

More resources for construction are gathered next. I use the Doed for stone, the Thorny to get wood from the Joshua Trees that have now spawned back in, and Perry go get thatch from the cactus which he gathers quite well. As a drop has given me an oil pump, I will need to take a trip over to the Green Obelisk area to place it on an oil node nearby.

By late afternoon, the lodge has been completed. So far, it appears that the Castle, Keeps, and Forts Remastered mod is not affected by the environment the way the vanilla wood and stone structures are. I can build another Adobe structure next to it if heat becomes an issue.

Next project will be to move my workshop into the new lodge and remove the starter hut to give the tames more room in their pen.

2-26-22. This area of Scorched Earth has been surprisingly peaceful. I have been able to finished the house on the upper level and move all of the workshop into it. While I have built an adobe shelter connecting it, the Castle, Keeps, and Forts Remastered mod structure has provided the needed thermal protection unlike the vanilla building materials which would have made it act like an oven. The old starter hut and a retaining wall have been removed to give the tames inside a lot more room.

There have been a lot of Roos hopping about in the mud pan areas. Given their ability to leap up to great heights and distances, I craft up a saddle for one and start looking for a good level one. I will have to get one cornered given that a net is unavailable for the harpoon gun in Scorched Earth. After a lot of searching, I find a higher level male and proceed to tame it.

Coming back to my camp, I spot a Tek Stego. Level 6? Are you kidding Ark? It is quickly dispatched of and all of the metallic stuff harvested.

Later that morning, I take Joey up into the central mountain to gather salt, sulfur, crystal, and obsidian. Those items are needed for preserving salts and polymer. I proceed to head up the path to the top. Fortunately, there is no resident Yuti and his carno buddies on the slope. There is a Rock Golem that I am able to avoid along with a pair of Sabertooths that I bait into falling down off the slope. Some low level Argys are around but don’t pose any threat as I mine the needed resources. I then head back to camp before the afternoon heat becomes an issue.

Time to get a dragon so that I can get organic polymer from the Mantas in the nearby desert.

For this dangerous tasks, I will need to head for The Great Split where the dragons live. Sometimes, one might be found flying over the badlands, but they are usually a threat to any tames in one’s camp unless you can secure them in a barn which I don’t have at this time. Besides, unless one is running the Immersive Taming Mod, you cannot tame a wild ones without using a cheat. As I don’t want to transfer one into Scorched Earth due to the Kapros living in the pond at Green Oblisk, or just GMSummons one in, I use the Fly cheat to fly over to the southern area of the split.

In Desert Armor, I find the lower area of the split which looks quite bare. As soon as I head lower, about two dozen dragons suddenly spawn in. Using the Player’s Only cheat, I freeze the simulation so that I can study the levels that have spawned in and look for eggs. There are no eggs or nest in any of the nesting coves at this time. Finding a Level 156 female fire dragon, I decide to fly down to her and use dotame on her which works. I name her Tammy after one of my story dragons. I then fly her out of the split before unfreezing the game, do some quick hunting with her to get food and some levels in stamina and melee. About then, my Jarboa starts warning me that a megaheat is on the way. Being early afternoon, it is time to get back to my camp as quickly as possible. I make it back just in time and land her on the roof of the adobe shelter.

Waiting out the Megaheat, I craft up a bunch of Adobe ceilings and pillars. The existing roof needs expanding so that Tammy can fit more comfortably up there. I get that job done by nightfall.

The next morning, I take Tammy into the desert to massacre some Mantas for chitin and polymer. I need to craft up a bunch of cementing paste in order to get a Fabricator and some canteens. Polymer is also needed for cryopods and Valerian Reins.

One thing of interest using the Kraken’s Better Dinos mod is that female mammals can be milked. I get a similar message on Tammy that she will produce more milk after a set period of time. Interesting, female dragons normally don’t produce any more milk unless they are wild and you knock them out again after an hour of waiting time. This might be a mod thing or an update given that one can now breed tamed dragons to get fertile eggs from them. Anyhow, I kill several Mantas with her getting the required resources along with a metal pick, hatchet, and other tools.

Back at camp, I get a bunch of cementing paste crafted from the abundant stock of stones I have and the big stash of chitin. The Fabricator is soon made, standard polymer, crafted, and two canteens made. I am also able to make the Valerian Reins for Tammy which give her a huge boost in base speed, stamina, and maneuverability. Taking Tammy with me to clear out the Karpos at the Green Obelisk, I get five cryopods crafted for future use.

In a couple of days, Ark is going to get a major update to all of the maps along with some TLC to it’s creatures. At that point, I will likely restart all of my maps from day one to take advantage of those changes. Crystal Isle will likely be restarted using the crystal mod which is like playing that map as a new map.

Expect some new stories to appear in the future.

Archived