Frustrating game mechanics

ChadR

Been playing since December, about three months now. Staring to get the game figured out. The thing that really irks me is some of the game mechanics. How come wild dinosaurs camp your spawn after killing you? You already got killed so now it gets even harder. Spawn density is insane. After the last server restart I can't even play due to how many carnivores spawned in. Why does the whole of the Gloom Coast starting area have to be covered in raptors, terror birds, carno, saro and tickle chickens. Right after the server reset I tamed a para and headed to the beach to get some water. Got jumped by 2 carno, 3 terror, 2 raptor. Really.. This is fun.. Took me about a half hour to get my stuff back. Lucky I had a flyer I could use. Why is there so many carnivores? Once you get higher level you have a little army and just swat them. Staring out is insanely hard. Wildcard, you sure you really want to sell Ark 2? The game is frustrating and brilliant all at once. I have an idea for the management, lets make the staring areas even harder so more people will quit the game. That's brilliant. The game is really good but backing off some of the predator density's would make the game a lot more fun.

3 hours ago, ChadR said:

Been playing since December, about three months now ... Once you get higher level you have a little army and just swat them.

Just wondering, what is your level by now? I started a new character in Januari on Lost Island and even without endless grinding stone to flint or slashing Giga babies it went to level 90+ by now.

The carnivore's behaviour is not camping, it is what it should be: Kill a prey and protect it while shredding it to pieces.
General advice to all new players: Don't bother retreiving lost gear since it only get you killed (again and again) but instead make new. This way you die less and level faster.

Do yourself a favor and look up an island note run (not lost island the original island map) video on YT.

You can get to level 70+ in 5 minutes. From there pump your movement speed. At 170 speed you can outrun everything but you can get by with a little less if you prefer more health or weight etc.

Sometimes you have to lure predators away first and then race back for your stuff. Dont always try to dive right onto your pack.

Hope this helps

5 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Do yourself a favor and look up an island note run (not lost island the original island map) video on YT.

You can get to level 70+ in 5 minutes. From there pump your movement speed. At 170 speed you can outrun everything but you can get by with a little less if you prefer more health or weight etc.

Sometimes you have to lure predators away first and then race back for your stuff. Dont always try to dive right onto your pack.

Hope this helps

^ Yep.  All the above - this is sound advice.  You had a bad run: that is how it is at times in Ark.  Just like real life, sometimes Ark can be unforgiving, sometimes generous and often a grind.

Thanks guys! I was just frustrated with the number of spawns in the area that were aggressive. I’m playing lost island so no note runs. And I’ve restarted and played single player and tried different servers. I’ve only been on this character for about five days maybe. I am getting up there couple levels away from SCUBA thank goodness! just let you all know I do you like this game, highly addictive. I just get frustrated sometimes, I wish there was a way to deal with certain things skill wise instead of getting lucky. Back in the fray!

On 2/17/2022 at 12:27 AM, ChadR said:

Been playing since December, about three months now. Staring to get the game figured out. The thing that really irks me is some of the game mechanics. How come wild dinosaurs camp your spawn after killing you? You already got killed so now it gets even harder. Spawn density is insane. After the last server restart I can't even play due to how many carnivores spawned in. Why does the whole of the Gloom Coast starting area have to be covered in raptors, terror birds, carno, saro and tickle chickens. Right after the server reset I tamed a para and headed to the beach to get some water. Got jumped by 2 carno, 3 terror, 2 raptor. Really.. This is fun.. Took me about a half hour to get my stuff back. Lucky I had a flyer I could use. Why is there so many carnivores? Once you get higher level you have a little army and just swat them. Staring out is insanely hard. Wildcard, you sure you really want to sell Ark 2? The game is frustrating and brilliant all at once. I have an idea for the management, lets make the staring areas even harder so more people will quit the game. That's brilliant. The game is really good but backing off some of the predator density's would make the game a lot more fun.

It is a part of the game....best advice I can give you is unless you had extremely rare, hard to find, or expensive items on your character when you die, just go ahead and let the kit go.

I remember back in the day loosing a single metal pick and spent an hour trying to get it back because I thought the world of it. Now I accept that its gone and I can just make another one.

Thats my train of thought on all primitive equipment. Now any ascendent flak or super expensive saddles.....ok, now there is justification to go back and fight the thing that killed me, but I will also make sure Im ready for the scenario.....either with a high powered tame that can deal with the problem, or to kite the issue far far away.

Archived