Leech Blood

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if adding leeches is to balance out PVP, then why add them also to a PVE server?

Probably been said before, I would hope stuff like this will get balanced out for non-PVP servers.

On all the private servers I play (including my own single player) I will be adding this to the game.ini:

[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode] 
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Leech_Character",ToClassName="") 
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Leech_Character_Diseased",ToClassName="")

The first line you don't actually add, you put the last two lines under that line. The above should remove leeches from the game.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Coggage said:

Wow, how terrible is this patch!  They'll be haemorrhaging players at this rate because no-one likes it.

In a sense it's ironic because 6 months ago people were making the suggestions for communicable diseases (around the same time as the big push people were making for weather phenomena) and that stuff was met with next to no one going "I don't want diseases". It makes me wonder now if this will repeat itself if/when the development team adds in said weather phenomena.

• 4 weeks later...

I joined a new server with some friends who just purchased the game.  We were a brand new tribe, and had just found a decent location to start building a base when a high lvl sarco wanders in and kills us a few times before we can kite it out of the area.  Since we died a few times, our single bed had a large respawn timer, so one of my tribemates respawned in a random location.  He'd never played before, and didn't know the swamps were bad news... After getting lost and trekking around there for a while, he shows up back at our base and infects us and our dodos with swamp fever without knowing what it is, that it is contagious, or how to cure it.  

Having gather rates this low for fresh characters is so brutal... it makes it incredibly hard to even gather enough resources to tame dinos to do things better than we can.  It's now a week later, and we're all still infected, and we can't get enough leech blood at once to make even a single cure.  I had 3 leech blood at one point, but it expired before we could get the remaining 2.  To cure just one of us.  I'm really glad that the rhino horn ingredient was removed, but with reduced gather rates from plague, and leech blood being such a rare ingredient, it makes getting cured SUPER DIFFICULT.  We can't even trade for it with anybody because no other tribes will come near us.

I appreciate that this is supposed to be a pain to cure, and removing the rhino horn ingredient was great too, but leech blood is pretty hard to acquire still.  And it spoils.  So even if I manage to make one cure, I can either take it myself and then likely get re-infected by my tribemates, or I can store it in our preserving bin so we can try and get more blood and cure us all at the same time, but it is likely to spoil before that ever happens.  Needing less leech blood or having another way to gather it like people suggested above would be great.  Or maybe having carnivorous dinos excel at gathering leech blood?  Or maybe longer spoil timers on both the blood and cure? All three would be sweet, but I understand that this is supposed to be expensive and tedious to cure.

On 6/2/2016 at 4:20 PM, ciabattaroll said:

In a sense it's ironic because 6 months ago people were making the suggestions for communicable diseases (around the same time as the big push people were making for weather phenomena) and that stuff was met with next to no one going "I don't want diseases". It makes me wonder now if this will repeat itself if/when the development team adds in said weather phenomena.

What I had been thinking of when I was reading posts was something like the flu, you get sick, it last for two, three or more days, you get over it.  Other tribe members might catch it, but you get over it.  You can't catch it again for a set period of time, such as only once every three months type of thing.  You have to make a cure, but it doesn't require so much hard to gather items, but can be time consuming to gather them all.

You don't want it to be something that new players can't find a cure so they won't get fed up, leave and state that the game is unfair, don't buy it and I think that is what will happen if this type of disease continues.  We are the Guinea pigs, as someone suggested, so the devs need to realize that the concept is a good one, not just as drastic or infectious as this is; or at least you can't get it for a certain amount of time.  Make dinos immune to it after getting it one time, or two or three times.  They aren't as sick as player area, they can recover without a cure, but it takes longer for them. 

Something that still affects players, but not in such a debilitating manner.

Sure.  And he's well aware how much it sucks now, and has no plans to venture back into the swamps again anytime soon.  I'm a seasoned Dark Souls player, so I love that Ark isn't a cakewalk and that nothing is spoon-fed.  It's great, and it makes every accomplishment feel earned.  But not having it happen again doesn't fix our problem of our tribe of 3 all being infected and unable to harvest enough leech blood at any given time to cure us.  The rest of the ingredients are easy enough.

On 27/06/2016 at 7:10 AM, MasterBloob said:

I joined a new server with some friends who just purchased the game.  We were a brand new tribe, and had just found a decent location to start building a base when a high lvl sarco wanders in and kills us a few times before we can kite it out of the area.  Since we died a few times, our single bed had a large respawn timer, so one of my tribemates respawned in a random location.  He'd never played before, and didn't know the swamps were bad news... After getting lost and trekking around there for a while, he shows up back at our base and infects us and our dodos with swamp fever without knowing what it is, that it is contagious, or how to cure it.  

Having gather rates this low for fresh characters is so brutal... it makes it incredibly hard to even gather enough resources to tame dinos to do things better than we can.  It's now a week later, and we're all still infected, and we can't get enough leech blood at once to make even a single cure.  I had 3 leech blood at one point, but it expired before we could get the remaining 2.  To cure just one of us.  I'm really glad that the rhino horn ingredient was removed, but with reduced gather rates from plague, and leech blood being such a rare ingredient, it makes getting cured SUPER DIFFICULT.  We can't even trade for it with anybody because no other tribes will come near us.

I appreciate that this is supposed to be a pain to cure, and removing the rhino horn ingredient was great too, but leech blood is pretty hard to acquire still.  And it spoils.  So even if I manage to make one cure, I can either take it myself and then likely get re-infected by my tribemates, or I can store it in our preserving bin so we can try and get more blood and cure us all at the same time, but it is likely to spoil before that ever happens.  Needing less leech blood or having another way to gather it like people suggested above would be great.  Or maybe having carnivorous dinos excel at gathering leech blood?  Or maybe longer spoil timers on both the blood and cure? All three would be sweet, but I understand that this is supposed to be expensive and tedious to cure.

Quarantine.

You have to handle it like you would a real outbreak. 

Keep all your infected dodos in a little shack, same with any infected tribemates.

Once you get a quarantine in place, you have less worry of re-infection as you get cures.

Easy fix: STAY OUT OF THE SWAMPS, UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Not hard to understand, really. If/when you HAVE to go, wear SCUBA to prevent random non-leech infections, carefully check your surrounding before landing/making any moves, and don't spend any extended amount of time there. Get in, get out. You won't need cures if you're smart and careful.

As for farming the Leech Blood part... I dunno what to tell you. I was able to farm the blood for myself, 2 tribemates and the Dino I farmed on in under 2 hours on Official.

Archived