How to increase honey production?

wizard03

Does anyone know how to increase honey production? We are on lost island and not haveing much luck in finding hives. So I went ahead and snagged two of the ones with queen bee's in them and set them up in base....literally spent an hour goofing off waiting for honey and when I checked. I only had one in each. X.X

Im not looking to make 100 in an hour, but at least maybe 4 or 6 honeys an hour would be plenty.

2 hours ago, GP said:

By having 3 beehives....

so that I can make 15 honey an hour....yes, this plan is getting better >:P

Ok for real tho, there is no settings or adjustments to make honey's faster? Blegh. How do you guys keep people from hording hives online? I can just imagine a solo player getting 50 hives just to keep up with kibble production. x.x

well, except for the fact that while offline their hives continue to produce honey. >.>
Can we fix the hotspot device bug yet, I miss being online! :( 

If you're on a server, tame more bees! 

If you're on single player, tame a bear! When I play SP, I always opt for the bear. You get 15 honey every 15 minutes from a bee hive with a bear, alternatively you get 1 every 45 minutes and you have to feed flowers and grab the ghillie with the tamed bee. 

Totally not worth taming bees on solo play imo

8 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Ok for real tho, there is no settings or adjustments to make honey's faster? Blegh.

I'm not aware of any config setting that modifies the rate of honey production in the vanilla beehives.

The best answer I can suggest is using S+ (or some other mod) that has their own beehives as an alternative to the vanilla beehives built into the game. When you use S+ there are regular beehives and S+ beehives, and with the S+ config settings you can adjust the production rate of the S+ beehives.

1 hour ago, Entin said:

If you're on a server, tame more bees! If you're on single player, tame a bear! When I play SP, I always opt for the bear. You get 15 honey every 15 minutes from a bee hive with a bear, alternatively you get 1 every 45 minutes and you have to feed flowers and grab the ghillie with the tamed bee. Totally not worth taming bees on solo play imo

Yeah, we got us a bear. But can't find many bee hives. For some weird reason they are really hard to find on lost island.....Yeah they are out there, but currently we are raiding one beehive literally every time the timer cools down now. x.x hence why I was trying to figure out how to speed things up a bit.

18 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I'm not aware of any config setting that modifies the rate of honey production in the vanilla beehives.

The best answer I can suggest is using S+ (or some other mod) that has their own beehives as an alternative to the vanilla beehives built into the game. When you use S+ there are regular beehives and S+ beehives, and with the S+ config settings you can adjust the production rate of the S+ beehives.

Sadly Im on xbox. We has no mods. :( 

11 hours ago, wizard03 said:

so that I can make 15 honey an hour....yes, this plan is getting better >:P

Ok for real tho, there is no settings or adjustments to make honey's faster? Blegh. How do you guys keep people from hording hives online? I can just imagine a solo player getting 50 hives just to keep up with kibble production. x.x

I'm solo on a server and I don't find it too bad. I have 2 hives and just horde eggs in a fridge and when I'm waiting for imprints or something I make batches of kibble or veggie cakes. I find I have plenty of honey. Of course this depends on just how much kibble or veggie cakes you're making I guess.  

11 hours ago, Dinorancher said:

I'm solo on a server and I don't find it too bad. I have 2 hives and just horde eggs in a fridge and when I'm waiting for imprints or something I make batches of kibble or veggie cakes. I find I have plenty of honey. Of course this depends on just how much kibble or veggie cakes you're making I guess.  

well, the thing is after thinking about it, the hives are producing honey over night for you guys. So just one nights sleep and your getting anywhere from 10-20 honey's per hive. In the meantime when I go to bed, everything pauses. Nothing is produced, nodes are not respawning, ect. ect. Its literally only producing when I am playing. =/
But I just spent 8 hours playing around in the ocean, so it pushed a lil for us.

And Im trying to get max tames for the boss fights now, so the kibble is for the rex's, yuties, thylacoleo for the caves, ect. ect. Gotta tame two up of different sex's of each to then breed for the imprint......I usually like to "keep" 100 kibble on standby at all times, and right now Iv only got 23. So Im feeling the pinch a bit. =/

Also I forgot the veggie cakes. x.x I have none right now.

17 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Sadly Im on xbox. We has no mods. :( 

This sounds to me like a good example of when you might want to use admin commands.

Every mode of ark has it's own advantages and disadvantages (Official, Unofficial, single-player, non-dedicated). The beauty of all the modes other than Official are that they allow you to choose how you want to play the game (so that you can prevent the game from playing you). This is, after all, a leisure time activity that's supposed to be fun. There are a few quirks with the underlying game engine like the one you've run in to, no matter what settings you use the game is going to make it hard to manufacture your own honey unless you're willing to expend a lot of time up front to get more queen bees or tame a good dire bear and constantly make honey runs. The best solution would be if the game had a configuration for honey production but since that isn't an option... it's your game and you should decide how to enjoy it on your own terms.

Taming more queens, using a bear, spawning in honey - all three are equally valid answers, it just depends on your personal preferences for whether you're willing to let the game cause you to spend time as the result of lacking a config option for honey making.

Personally, if I were in your shoes I would make myself keep the two hives stocked with flowers so that they're always active, and then spawn in any extra honey that you need since the game makes it so slowly. While it's understandable that WC hasn't added a config option for honey, there's no reason that you should let that limit your ability to have honey when you need it. Considering that you have the ability to configure harvesting amounts, taming speeds, experience per level, duration of night & day, and a bunch of other stuff there's no reason why honey should be a bottleneck just because it lacks a config option.

But, of course, the answer to this is (and should be) based on personal preferences. If you want to tame more queens you should, but if you don't want to be forced to do that, you shouldn't be forced to.

There is no such thing as “hogging beehives” because if you destroy and tame a hive, it will respawn after some time. There isn’t a set # of hives in the server and if you were to tame one you would be subtracting from that set # of public hives. Tame many hives and I think messing with the day and night settings could help somehow? I don’t know because I never played single player before but it’s a chance I suppose, don’t quote me on this ;).

On 2/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, Pipinghot said:

This sounds to me like a good example of when you might want to use admin commands. Every mode of ark has it's own advantages and disadvantages (Official, Unofficial, single-player, non-dedicated). The beauty of all the modes other than Official are that they allow you to choose how you want to play the game (so that you can prevent the game from playing you). This is, after all, a leisure time activity that's supposed to be fun. There are a few quirks with the underlying game engine like the one you've run in to, no matter what settings you use the game is going to make it hard to manufacture your own honey unless you're willing to expend a lot of time up front to get more queen bees or tame a good dire bear and constantly make honey runs. The best solution would be if the game had a configuration for honey production but since that isn't an option... it's your game and you should decide how to enjoy it on your own terms. Taming more queens, using a bear, spawning in honey - all three are equally valid answers, it just depends on your personal preferences for whether you're willing to let the game cause you to spend time as the result of lacking a config option for honey making. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would make myself keep the two hives stocked with flowers so that they're always active, and then spawn in any extra honey that you need since the game makes it so slowly. While it's understandable that WC hasn't added a config option for honey, there's no reason that you should let that limit your ability to have honey when you need it. Considering that you have the ability to configure harvesting amounts, taming speeds, experience per level, duration of night & day, and a bunch of other stuff there's no reason why honey should be a bottleneck just because it lacks a config option. But, of course, the answer to this is (and should be) based on personal preferences. If you want to tame more queens you should, but if you don't want to be forced to do that, you shouldn't be forced to.

I hate cheating.....and the fact that we "GOT" to cheat a lot just to play the game normally really kills the game for me. Supply drops going into the ground, ghost. Artifacts not spawning, admin command them into your pocket. Resources not respawning, just spawn 10,000 metal.....bleh. x.x At that point in time, I get super depressed and if I got to do it too many times, I just quit the game for a month or two and play something else......I mean if I got to cheat just to play the game, whats stopping me from going straight into admin mode and killing the boss with the admin gun? where is the challange? Why am I doing anything in this game? XP As for my honey issues right now, I have two hives and am running them when I can. If I need ectra, I just got a quetzel and a bear. Will have to spend time looking for hives but Iv kept myself busy with other things and will just wait for later when I will hopefully have some plenty of honey to spare. Still, kinda sucks there isn't any option to adjust honey rates when everything else has a slider. :P

36 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

I hate cheating...

Best "it's not cheating"-cheat? Go to beecave on Crystal!
If you set up your cake&kibble farm there you have all you need. Tame your snails overthere and transfer your hungry ones in for feeding.
And organic poly is a nice by-catch, cook it to soap for infinte spoiling and server hopping ;)

I haven't tried the fishing rod trick yet to see if I can get the honey to other servers, anyone knows if that works?

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I hate cheating.....

I hate cheating too - when it's actually cheating. But using admin commands in ARK is not cheating, it's customizing your game experience to match your personal preferences.

Using mods are not cheating, it's customizing your game to your preferences. Changing the settings in the .ini configs is not cheating, it's customizing your game to your preferences. Using an admin command to fix a problem caused by the game engine is not cheating, it's customizing your game to your preferences.

Games have a long history of "house rules", in which the people playing the game agree that there is some rule or game mechanic that they don't like. Whether we're looking at family games like Monopoly or Settlers of Catan, looking at RPG's like D&D, looking at serious wargames like Panzer Leader, or even looking at classic games like chess & checkers, house rules have a long and storied history in the playing of games. As long as the players in the game agree that the rule change is reasonable and makes the game more fun, house rules are not cheating.

Pretty much the entire point of Unofficial servers + single player + Mods is that WC deliberately designed the game so people could customize their version of ARK to suit themselves. To put it bluntly, as far as I'm concerned admin rights + mods + customizing are exactly what prevents this game from being a steaming pile of garbage. Playing on Official servers is a nightmare of server lag, glitches, pointless stupid time sinks and game engine failures that suck away thousands of hours from their players on a regular basis. The non-Offiical game modes are the only reason this game is worth looking at for more than 1 day.

On the Official servers everyone has to play the same set of rules but on every other setup players have every right to adjust the game to make themselves happy, including using admin commands to make up for areas in which the game engine creates a problem.

and the fact that we "GOT" to cheat a lot just to play the game normally really kills the game for me. Supply drops going into the ground, ghost. Artifacts not spawning, admin command them into your pocket. Resources not respawning, just spawn 10,000 metal.....bleh. x.x At that point in time, I get super depressed and if I got to do it too many times, I just quit the game for a month or two and play something else......

No, we don't "'GOT' to cheat", but we do "got to use admin commands to remedy problems caused by the game engine", those are not the same thing.

Using ghost to make up for a glitched supply drop = perfectly legit. Using ghost to avoid having to fight mobs = self-cheating.

Manually spawning an artifact because you've cleared a cave, the game has glitched and an artifact won't spawn = perfectly legit. Manually spawning an artifact because someone is bored or in a hurry = self-cheating.

Spawning in the appropriate number of resources based on the time spend trying to troubleshoot a problem & restarting the server = legit. Spawning in 10,000 metal because someone doesn't feel like traveling an extra minute to get to an area where metal has respawned = self-cheating.

The only reason to get depressed about using admin commands is if you're over-using them because you just don't want to play the game even using the rules you've set for yourself. If a person wants faster resources then they should change the resource setting, change their own personal rules. But if they're trying to figure out a problem where the game simply isn't spawning resources when it should then spawning some in to make up for the lost time is pretty reasonable and shouldn't be demoralizing.

I mean if I got to cheat just to play the game, whats stopping me from going straight into admin mode and killing the boss with the admin gun? where is the challange? Why am I doing anything in this game?

What's stopping you is self control. You decide how you want the game to work, you customize the game to match your preferences and then you play it. If you then start breaking your own rules then you're cheating, but if you're using admin commands to fix problems caused by the game engine then you're not cheating.

There is no slipper slope here unless you make one. Using admin commands to make up for problems caused by the game engine is not cheating.

As for my honey issues right now, I have two hives and am running them when I can. If I need ectra, I just got a quetzel and a bear. Will have to spend time looking for hives but Iv kept myself busy with other things and will just wait for later when I will hopefully have some plenty of honey to spare. Still, kinda sucks there isn't any option to adjust honey rates when everything else has a slider. :P

Agreed, making honey configurable would be the best solution, perhaps you should submit that as a suggestion.

In the meanwhile, you have a perfectly legit workaround available for you to use, and there's nothing about that solution that needs to ruin the game of you unless you let it.

Having said all this, you also have every right to not use admin commands. I'm not saying that you should, or that you're supposed to. What I'm doing is pointing out that admin commands are not cheating as long as you use them in accordance with your own standards of conduct that you've set for yourself.

3 hours ago, MMaas said:

Best "it's not cheating"-cheat? Go to beecave on Crystal!
If you set up your cake&kibble farm there you have all you need. Tame your snails overthere and transfer your hungry ones in for feeding.
And organic poly is a nice by-catch, cook it to soap for infinte spoiling and server hopping ;)

I haven't tried the fishing rod trick yet to see if I can get the honey to other servers, anyone knows if that works?

Lmao, yeah the bee cave on crystal is insane. I did it with an ascendent chainsaw once. Slot capped in 3 hives XD Wish it was that easy on every map. But then again if might be too easy that way. :P

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Anytime I got to admin it in or to fix something thats broken, I feel like its cheating. Granted, it doesn't sting as much as it used to, but for instance aberration. The artifacts are still toast. And when I gotta cheat in the artifact after a cave run that ends in a game crash, I ask myself why even bother going to the other caves? Why not just spawn them in here and now without the fuss that will ultimately end in another game crash.....and that cheats me out of the actual cave run. Yeah I suppose I could just do the cave run and pretend that I didn't have to admin it in, but its still a kick to the face when it comes to the end of the run and you go "welp, there it is".
As for spawning 10,000 metal in, I actually ran out of nodes to harvest on the island once. I even had hit the cave nodes.....all gone. I had done all of the indy stuff, ascendent theri saddles, some tek stuffs, and was doing ascendent rex saddles when the issue cropped up for the tek cave. Unless I was going to hit every single river stone for the piece or two of metal they gave out, I literally had no metal at all left in the game. This was before I realized the resource spawn bug and figured out how to set the respawn timer to nill. Not an issue now, but you could just imagine my frustraition then trying for a few days to figure something out, but never getting more than just a hundred or so metal a day with 8 hour days trying to get the 50,000 metal needed for a single rex saddle, but 20 rex's needed to be saddled X.X

12 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Anytime I got to admin it in or to fix something thats broken, I feel like its cheating. Granted, it doesn't sting as much as it used to, but for instance aberration. The artifacts are still toast. And when I gotta cheat in the artifact after a cave run that ends in a game crash, I ask myself why even bother going to the other caves? Why not just spawn them in here and now without the fuss that will ultimately end in another game crash.....and that cheats me out of the actual cave run. Yeah I suppose I could just do the cave run and pretend that I didn't have to admin it in, but its still a kick to the face when it comes to the end of the run and you go "welp, there it is".

Just to make sure I'm not coming across wrong I'll repeat this, "Having said all this, you also have every right to not use admin commands. I'm not saying that you should, or that you're supposed to."

With that said, Don't get me wrong I agree that WC should fix these bugs, and if I were playing on an Official server they would have driven me away from the game a long time ago.

The very thing that you don't want to do is the thing that (for me) is the only reason I can still play this game, admin commands. When my group completed the cave in Aberration and ran into the artifact bug we simply said, "Well we've already earned the artifact, let's spawn it in." As long as you've earned it fair and square, as long as you're using admin commands to fix or make up for problems with the game engine, there's no reason to be demoralized, and it's definitely not cheating.

You earned that artifact, you're not cheating yourself out of any accomplishment, you've completed the goal and you've met the requirements fair and square. At that point it's the game that's cheating, you're only getting what you've earned.

And when I gotta cheat in the artifact after a cave run that ends in a game crash, I ask myself why even bother going to the other caves?

My answer may not work for you, but my answer is "Because I still want to earn them, and the only way to earn them is by completing the caves."

Do I get irritated by flaws, bugs and problems with the game? You bet, same as you, but what I don't do is feel like I'm cheating when I've already earned something that the game is cheating me out of, I'm just using my admin ability to fix something that's wrong with the game.

Why not just spawn them in here and now without the fuss that will ultimately end in another game crash.....and that cheats me out of the actual cave run. Yeah I suppose I could just do the cave run and pretend that I didn't have to admin it in, but its still a kick to the face when it comes to the end of the run and you go "welp, there it is".

I agree it can be a kick in the face, but the kick in the face is the flaws in the game engine, it's not because you're cheating. Because you're not, you've earned whatever it is that the game is cheating you out of.

Not an issue now, but you could just imagine my frustraition then trying for a few days to figure something out, but never getting more than just a hundred or so metal a day with 8 hour days trying to get the 50,000 metal needed for a single rex saddle, but 20 rex's needed to be saddled X.X

That does sound painful. It also sounds like you spent the time to earn that metal and the game was trying to cheat you out of it. Spawning in that metal wasn't cheating, it was just getting what you had already earned.

But again, if those problems drive you away from the game I understand, this game is buggy as hell and can be quite frustrating when things don't work like they should. But (to me) that's the beauty of playing in any of the non-Official modes, having the ability to fix or compensate for all of the bugs and problems the game causes.

ARK on Official servers is a hot pile of garbage, ARK on any non-Official mode is essentially a "choose your own adventure" game, because you can make it as hard or as easy as you want it to be, you can customize your game experience to make it fun according to your personal preferences. And that includes using admin commands to make up for the game cheating you out of something you've earned.

This is a deeply flawed game, having admin commands is the only thing that makes it playable, IMO.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

This is a deeply flawed game, having admin commands is the only thing that makes is playable, IMO.

I am right there with you and Im sure a lot of SP peeps would absolutely agree with this one sentence. Granted, being able to adjust how to the game plays kinda seems a little cheaty, but I think that even then I could accept adjusting such settings compared to "just making the game playable"

Thanks for the feed back, perked my day up a bit. Also we just hit a majority of the artifacts on lost island. I actually got to see the skylord artifact spawn in the wild for the first time! :D I also had 9000 meglosaurs spawn at once. O.O Compared to everything thats happened to me so far, it was an acceptable coincidence. :P
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/151847346

12 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

ARK on Official servers is a hot pile of garbage, ARK on any non-Official mode is essentially a "choose your own adventure" game, because you can make it as hard or as easy as you want it to be, you can customize your game experience to make it fun according to your personal preferences. And that includes using admin commands to make up for the game cheating you out of something you've earned.

This is a deeply flawed game, having admin commands is the only thing that makes it playable, IMO.

The thing that strikes me most is that you almost have to write instead of choose your own adventure. Bug hunting can be a nice puzzle game but that is not what I expected when I bought ARK.

Archived