Giant Bee Hive Destroying

Arkal

What tools are the best to destroy them? I was using my crossbow and they only damaged the bee hive when I was up close shooting a certain part but I would be attacked by bees anyways so what is a better way to destroy it? The hive is in a tree sitting at slightly taller than my giga. I do have magmasaurs and I was considering using them. Can they be used to destroy bee hives? I have no other Dino’s that could help so magmasaurs are my best bet. I am also trying to tame the queen bee to get the hive so keeping it alive while destroying the hive is what I want. Thanks.

I've always used a longneck rifle to destroy beehives when I want to tame a queen. I place pillars up to the hive then I box the hive in by building a wooden shack around it so the queen can't escape. I have one window placed where I shoot through it so I can hit the hive from long range so the bees don't aggro on me and that usually works. I've never heard of anybody using a magmasaur to destroy a beehive but a direbear is the only dino that can attack a beehive without the bees dismounting you so get a bear. I've also heard a flamethrower works pretty good at destroying hives.

15 hours ago, Arkal said:

What tools are the best to destroy them? I was using my crossbow and they only damaged the bee hive when I was up close shooting a certain part but I would be attacked by bees anyways so what is a better way to destroy it? The hive is in a tree sitting at slightly taller than my giga. I do have magmasaurs and I was considering using them. Can they be used to destroy bee hives? I have no other Dino’s that could help so magmasaurs are my best bet. I am also trying to tame the queen bee to get the hive so keeping it alive while destroying the hive is what I want. Thanks.

Fire is surprisingly effective, however Iv also seen people using a long neck rifle, so that is also a possible method.

I've always had better luck on many of the rocky cliffs as the hives will often spawn low enough for dire bear to reach from the ground.  Yes, the redwoods have more hives but the height adds the extra degree of difficulty.  Anyway, check the rocks around the Green obelisk on the island for easy pickings.  I generally use dire bear, ghillie suit, and bug repellant.  I think simple kibble will give you an instant tame (1 time feed).

Yeah I’m on Lost Island and I think it was a bug that I couldn’t hit the hive. Poured 50 pistol rounds into it and it didn’t even show hit markers, I think long neck rifles wouldn’t work either. Flamethrowers are a little overkill and I don’t want to spend all the time and resources making one to use it once so I was gonna use the Magmasaur. 

On 1/30/2022 at 3:49 PM, Arkal said:

Yeah I’m on Lost Island and I think it was a bug that I couldn’t hit the hive. Poured 50 pistol rounds into it and it didn’t even show hit markers, I think long neck rifles wouldn’t work either. Flamethrowers are a little overkill and I don’t want to spend all the time and resources making one to use it once so I was gonna use the Magmasaur. 

Sometimes hives will be duds and won't produce bees.  They can even spawn on top of each other making it feel like it takes forever to release the queen.  Hives really are not that tough so if you are struggling to get anywhere on a particular hive... assume it is dead or glitched and move on to the next one.  You mentioned before you didn't really have a good dino for it... but really many things will work as long as you can reach it.  I think bears are best because of the protection they give you against stings, but I have used giga, wyvern, rex, therizino, thyla, etc... even a ptera works well if you can fly into it with the spin attack.  Just remember the ghillie and bug repellant and have that flower or kibble ready in the hot bar when the queen pops out. Good luck.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, Arkal said:

We just 2-man it...one on a Wyvern biting it, other using a Rare Flower to kite the drones that come out.  Hive destroys, person on Wyvern nabs the Queen Bee.

All these people are making things way too complex. I've caught two queen bees and it's not nearly as hard as it sounds. 

You'll need a ghillie suit, bug spray, a decent argy, a spyglass, a longneck rifle and about 50 rounds for it. Alternatively, just a couple grenades does the trick if you have access. Fly around looking for hives, park a ways away, and check them with the spyglass. If they're swarming, they're active. Use bug spray on yourself and your bird, and start shooting the hive. You can get in two to three shots before the bees even get to you if you're far enough. When they get close, just start walking backwards, and the bug spray will automatically kill them off, with your argy taking care of the lucky ones. You could also order the argy to attack the hive for a while to get extra damage. Once the queen is out, run up as fast as you can while spamming the feed button. Don't even worry about the drones, if you're fast they won't care. 

dire bears are supposed to be effective against the hives themselves, does this still holds true?

The hive is so effective in my current organization that I never had to go back and fetch another queen. Yeah, I used the ghillie suit + bug spray as described above once the queen popped up, really smooth. It was also the event that tought me that animals could receive the bug spray buff. XD

Archived