Neutral dinos attacking targets when one dino is set on agressive

Neros

So im having this problem, I have a fairly large base and sometimes wild dinos spawn inside of it. So i set a few dinos on patrol (wandering + aggressive), but whenever they aggro on something, all the neutral dinos jump in to help, creating a huge mess. That happens even before the aggressive dino gets any damage, so they act like they should on `Attack my target`. Is there any way to counter that?

3 hours ago, anocelot said:

Set the neutral dinos to passive (they don't attack ever, even when attacked) or set them to "disable ally looking" (they will run around and fight back if hit, but won't see if allies are in a fight). Hope this helps!

You're right about Passive, but not Disable Ally Looking.

It would be interesting, I like your thinking, but Disable Ally Looking has nothing to do with aggression settings. I can see why the name might cause this confusion, they probably should have called it "Disable player looking" or "Disable looking at survivors".

The only thing that setting does is it prevents the dino's from turning their head and looking at you when you're close to them, which allows you to walk past tames without them turning their heads and blocking your movement. This is especially useful in bases with lots of dino's packed in closely together, or with any dinos that have large head movement that easily blocks player movement, but it has no affect on aggression or fighting.

5 hours ago, Neros said:

So im having this problem, I have a fairly large base and sometimes wild dinos spawn inside of it. So i set a few dinos on patrol (wandering + aggressive), but whenever they aggro on something, all the neutral dinos jump in to help, creating a huge mess. That happens even before the aggressive dino gets any damage, so they act like they should on `Attack my target`. Is there any way to counter that?

There are a couple of things you can do.

1) any dinos that you want to always stand still, put on Passive. Of course this means they won't fight back but since you don't want them to fight that sounds like it will be ok for you.

2) Place foundations at regular intervals in your base. Foundations are what the game uses to prevent wild dinos from spawning, which is how the game prevents dinos and resources from spawning inside of buildings. You don't need to pave your entire base with solid foundations, just space them out about 5-7 tiles apart so that everywhere in your base has a foundation nearby. If you find a  specific spot in your base where wild dinos keep spawning then just start adding more foundations in that area until they stop spawning.

Just as a side note, wandering+aggressive is a fairly risky choice, it's a good way to have stuff glitch into your base since your dinos will constantly be starting fights that aren't necessary (they'll aggro on stuff that's outside your walls). You're better off using foundations and putting your guard dino's on Neutral so that they will defend against any attackers but they won't pick fights unnecessarily.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

You're right about Passive, but not Disable Ally Looking.

It would be interesting, I like your thinking, but Disable Ally Looking has nothing to do with aggression settings. I can see why the name might cause this confusion, they probably should have called it "Disable player looking" or "Disable looking at survivors".

The only thing that setting does is it prevents the dino's from turning their head and looking at you when you're close to them, which allows you to walk past tames without them turning their heads and blocking your movement. This is especially useful in bases with lots of dino's packed in closely together, or with any dinos that have large head movement that easily blocks player movement, but it has no affect on aggression or fighting.

Huh. I've always just set my dinos to disable ally looking to stop them from joining fights around my aggressive wander dinos but I guess it's just been a coincidence that they never joined any fights. Just tested in singleplayer and yeah, it doesn't stop them from seeing ally fights.

This has been a thing since forever. I had a dodo that I forgot to take off aggressive (animals tamed out on aggressive back then) once in July of 2015 and he would sense something outside the base (not even SEE it) and yell "CHARGE!!!" and the whole base (which at the time consisted of like 5 dodos, 3 parasaurs and a turtle) would charge the fence...I occasionally get things spawning inside my walls too so I put X plants in there. I also weighed down a lot of my dinos because I dont want them to be on passive or be made into a mess.

Neutral dinos attack anything that damages something of your like a tame, player, or a structure. Attack target dinos attack anything that you or another tame attack. Likely your aggressive dinos are getting hit before they can kill whatever and then the neutrals join in. Only way to avoid is to set anything you don't want moving to passive. 

On 1/29/2022 at 9:44 PM, Illeyejah said:

I normally have my neutral tames in packs, all following a passive tame (who ignores group whistles) as an anchor. So after joining in the fight, they run back to where I want them. Best way I've been able to keep defense Dino's organized.

Yea, thats what im doing now.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, Pipinghot said:

2) Place foundations at regular intervals in your base. Foundations are what the game uses to prevent wild dinos from spawning, which is how the game prevents dinos and resources from spawning inside of buildings. You don't need to pave your entire base with solid foundations, just space them out about 5-7 tiles apart so that everywhere in your base has a foundation nearby. If you find a  specific spot in your base where wild dinos keep spawning then just start adding more foundations in that area until they stop spawning.

Thing is, if i do that, resources will stop spawning too. I set up camp in the village ruins at the center of lost island map, its not that safe to gather outside the walls.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, Tylanater said:

Neutral dinos attack anything that damages something of your like a tame, player, or a structure. Attack target dinos attack anything that you or another tame attack. Likely your aggressive dinos are getting hit before they can kill whatever and then the neutrals join in. Only way to avoid is to set anything you don't want moving to passive. 

Thats exactly how it's supposed to work, but thats not the case. If an aggressive dino sees a threat, all the neutral dinos in range will charge at it, even if the aggressive dino didnt get hit.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Neros said:

Thing is, if i do that, resources will stop spawning too. I set up camp in the village ruins at the center of lost island map, its not that safe to gather outside the walls.

So... don't do it then. People have given you multiple solutions, choose the solution that works best for you.

Archived