What if my tribe gets cheated out of my tribe on the grounds of alliance

arkamateur

3 hours ago, arkamateur said:

Official server Genesis PVE935. The coordinates are 44.61/90.96   My tribe was invited to the alliance by others, which tricked me into joining the tribe and kicked me out of the tribe.There's nothing I can do. They tore my tribe apart right in front of me,I'm so sad right now

Don't ever just randomly ally or join with people. Did no one teach you about stranger danger? Had a tribe on my unofficial cluster go around trying that, they stole the dinos of at least 3 players that I knew of and booted them from the tribe before I caught wind and banned them, spent the next few HOURS sorting through multiple cryofridges full of dinos to see who had what returned to them. Ally with people you know and trust, tribe with people you know and trust. Most importantly though be ready to pick up your stuff and LEAVE the second they start acting fishy.

4 hours ago, arkamateur said:

Official server Genesis PVE935. The coordinates are 44.61/90.96   My tribe was invited to the alliance by others, which tricked me into joining the tribe and kicked me out of the tribe.There's nothing I can do. They tore my tribe apart right in front of me,I'm so sad right now

Its the same thing when scammers call your phone and say that you have a charge unsettled with your Capitol One card, or Amazon............   Its best you learn this now in a video game before you buy a puppy online and learn it was just a non-exclusive NFT picture of a Puppy named Mischka.

16 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

And it says PVE ???? LOL

What I just don't understand that I have seen toxic PvP actions on PvE, but GM's don't do anything against it. Not even when the proof is supported by screenshots of those players bragging in chat, on twitter or facebook.

Also: For console controlers certain buttons have several interacting functions. I have made suggestions to stop giving too many double functions to prevent mistakes like unintended unlocking storage when you tried to open a door but got lagged and the here given example of ally/merging/joining.
Sofar never got any response to that so this is realy a shortcomming of UI and community management on Wildcards behalve.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, MMaas said:

What I just don't understand that I have seen toxic PvP actions on PvE, but GM's don't do anything against it

Because, for the most part, they aren't breaking any rules.

You are allowed to be a jerk in PvE. Have to be smarter than the jerks.

40 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Because, for the most part, they aren't breaking any rules.

You are allowed to be a jerk in PvE. Have to be smarter than the jerks.

You are taking the quote out of context. Setting up people by abusing (instead of breaking) rules and abusing flaws in controls may be just about being a jerk but I think there is also something as "fair play". And there the GM's are definatly failing. Maybe due to being understaffed, msaybe  due to poor policy. "Fair play" is what make games fun and if that is abbandoned you'll be left with troll wars alone and a dying game in the end.

Even for PvP fair play is of vallue. Every competition has it's rules.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, MMaas said:

You are taking the quote out of context. Setting up people by abusing (instead of breaking) rules and abusing flaws in controls may be just about being a jerk but I think there is also something as "fair play". And there the GM's are definatly failing. Maybe due to being understaffed, msaybe  due to poor policy. "Fair play" is what make games fun and if that is abbandoned you'll be left with troll wars alone and a dying game in the end.

Even for PvP fair play is of vallue. Every competition has it's rules.

The issue is 'fair play' is both subjective and not formally addressed in the rules. Therefore, it's not normally actionable.

Letter of the law vs spirit of the law. The 'spirit' of the law is not addressed by support.

18 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Letter of the law vs spirit of the law. The 'spirit' of the law is not addressed by support.

And that point of view is one of ultimate weakness, albeit a very a very common point of view.
It is also not correct since it still ignores the other points about ignoring the abuse of glitches, caused by poor UI.

• Volunteer Moderator
59 minutes ago, MMaas said:

And that point of view is one of ultimate weakness, albeit a very a very common point of view.
It is also not correct since it still ignores the other points about ignoring the abuse of glitches, caused by poor UI.

It is what it is. I don't sweat the stuff I can't control.

• Volunteer Moderator

The reality is that it is very easy to fall for such invite trickery. Afaik, they usually start by sending you a legit alliance invite, and then send you a tribe invite as soon as you start accepting the former and all it really takes is 1-2 seconds of distraction to not realize the original invite was overwritten and that you are now merging your tribe with theirs (assuming you are owner of your tribe).

That said, while I don't necessarily think this is in "direct" violation of the rules, toxic behaviours may warrant punishments at GM discretion and/or encourage changes to the game (e.g. like when they disabled tribe wars because it was used to raid others on PvE, etc) so I would still recommend victims of such scams to report these incidents via Support Ticket so that they are properly documented.

I personally think a more robust confirmation prompt could be enough to prevent accidental merges, similar to how you are asked to confirm to drop all, eat fertilized eggs, etc. Perhaps players could even be asked to re-type their tribe name as a confirmation or something.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:56 AM, MMaas said:

What I just don't understand that I have seen toxic PvP actions on PvE, but GM's don't do anything against it. Not even when the proof is supported by screenshots of those players bragging in chat, on twitter or facebook.

Also: For console controlers certain buttons have several interacting functions. I have made suggestions to stop giving too many double functions to prevent mistakes like unintended unlocking storage when you tried to open a door but got lagged and the here given example of ally/merging/joining.
Sofar never got any response to that so this is realy a shortcomming of UI and community management on Wildcards behalve.

This sort of game play has deep roots in gaming and is quite integral to how people play some games.   EVE online is a famous example of players manipulating others in order to destroy corporations from the inside.   Tens of thousands of real money has been evaporated that way in that particular game.

This is a lesson for players on survival games, it's not just surviving the environment, the beasts, the cannibals, the vultures(still talking about players).... you also have to learn how to deal with people who have differing agendas.   IF you don't want that challenge, don't team up with random people you meet on the internet.  Personally, I did team up with a few people, knock on wood - we have lasted over 4 years together with only one incident.  That involved an extended circle from the first server we existed on, but we have long surpassed the dna of whatever was lost.  Almost nothing in ark is irreplaceable, at least nothing that's critical to playing the game.

14 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I personally think a more robust confirmation prompt could be enough to prevent accidental merges, similar to how you are asked to confirm to drop all, eat fertilized eggs, etc. Perhaps players could even be asked to re-type their tribe name as a confirmation or something.

Perhaps 'serious' decisions like tribe merge or ally should be a different colour on the wheel - like slaughter is on ovis.

Maybe also allow extra seconds to think whether it is actually a good idea, when ur new to a game it's all dutch anyway, you need a minute to think (or google) sometimes.

To OP - sorry this happened to you, this has happened many, many times before to many people, don't let it get to you. Change server and start again ... bigger and better this time :)

5 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

This sort of game play has deep roots in gaming and is quite integral to how people play some games.   EVE online is a famous example of players manipulating others in order to destroy corporations from the inside.   Tens of thousands of real money has been evaporated that way in that particular game.

People have been stealing cars for over 100 years, that doesn't mean that auto theft should be decriminalized. Just because some people play that way doesn't mean anyone should accept that it's ok.

The difference between ARK and Eve is that there's no such thing as a separate PvE mode in Eve. If there was a PvE mode in Eve then players would have every right to assume that there would be more enforcement in Eve PvE. The entire game of Eve is built on the premise that players can do anything they want. WildCard, on the other hand, created a PvE mode and then consistently fails to manage it as PvE.

The whole point of a PvE mode in a game is that it's supposed to be for players who want to play against the environment, not other players. And now matter how people trying to argue it, griefing other players in PvE is nothing more weak people taking advantage of PvE because of the terrible lack of enforcement in this game. Attacking other players by using scams is still attacking other players, it's just something that's done by cowards who are afraid of real PvP.

5 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

This is a lesson for players on survival games, it's not just surviving the environment, the beasts, the cannibals, the vultures(still talking about players)....

Which it not PvE should be, that's an argument that WildCard uses to be lazy about their enforcement.

Mind you, once you become familiar with WC that's surprising. They specifically designed this game to be PvP and only added PvE grudgingly when they go a deluge of feedback from people who wanted a PvE mode. So it's no wonder that WC has never truly embraced what PvE should be, and instead they hide their unwillingness to fully support PvE behind nonsense arguments like it being a survival game.

A "survival game" only means you have to survive the game, nothing more. Any arguments that PvE in a survival game is any different than PvE in any other game is just making excuses for lazy enforcement.

Archived