Dimorphodon Mutations

DirkInSA

So over time I have probably bred more Dimorphs than any other thing.  I do have tek rexe's with 19 x1 7 (male x female) mutations!

But i have  NEVER got a mutation on a dimorph baby (on any stat) . Am I  just looking wrong, or is the rate a lot lower, or does this just not happen. or have I missed a boat somewhere?

6 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

So over time I have probably bred more Dimorphs than any other thing.  I do have tek rexe's with 19 x1 7 (male x female) mutations!

But i have  NEVER got a mutation on a dimorph baby (on any stat) . Am I  just looking wrong, or is the rate a lot lower, or does this just not happen. or have I missed a boat somewhere?

I'm curious how many you have breed. I have bred dimo's twice, on two different maps/servers, and got mutations at about the normal rate.

In both cases I started with 6 different unique parents, one for each desired stat, so it took me quite a bit of breeding to create my final bloodline. Since mutations are random, I could easily see getting no mutations if your sample size is small enough.

12 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Im guessing bad RNG, like grumpy bear said, try to hatch a bunch of eggs all at the same time, see what happens.......Not sure if you wanna do 50 at once, but you should see something in 10 or 20 eggs.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:28 AM, Pipinghot said:

I'm curious how many you have breed.

Yeah I took effort to go back to a whole bunch of "dormant" maps to see. On the island I have a group of 23 females. On Scorched a (small) pool of 12 females, on Valgureo into the 30's, on Rag (two different incarnations of the map) 9 and 17. 

And these things show (on average) 10  to 15 generations in the parents history. But not one mute .... Really bad random number turn out I guess.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:32 AM, wizard03 said:

try to hatch a bunch of eggs all at the same time

Do you suppose this make a difference - My understanding is that the dice roll happens with each egg that is popped. So whether 40 eggs pop over the space of 6 hours (or 6 days for that matter), or whether they all pop in like a minute should not make a blind bit of difference?

On 1/14/2022 at 3:05 AM, GrumpyBear said:

well how many do you breed at a time?  If you hatched 50 eggs all at once, I bet you'd find some.

Hmmm - maybe I will give that a go when I'm bored. It will be interesting to see, but as above I am skeptical around the answer that mass volume all at once will make a difference?

7 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Do you suppose this make a difference - My understanding is that the dice roll happens with each egg that is popped. So whether 40 eggs pop over the space of 6 hours (or 6 days for that matter), or whether they all pop in like a minute should not make a blind bit of difference?

This is true, but I allways felt like if I had a ton of eggs pop all at once, it helped.....Of course that was before the incubator and you had to wait for the eggs to hatch to get anything. 
But the popping them all at once method is how I got my giga's to where I wanted them. Took forever tho. Like seriousely, even with crazy over the top breeding, hatching, and maturity rates jacked way up, it still took me a month to get my gigas to anywhere near capable of dealing with purple extinction drops quality. But I allways had a mutation everytime I popped the eggs. Now if it was in melee like I wanted or oxygen.....>.>

14 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Yeah I took effort to go back to a whole bunch of "dormant" maps to see. On the island I have a group of 23 females. On Scorched a (small) pool of 12 females, on Valgureo into the 30's, on Rag (two different incarnations of the map) 9 and 17. 

And these things show (on average) 10  to 15 generations in the parents history. But not one mute .... Really bad random number turn out I guess.

Yikes! Yeah that sounds like a lot of breeding with no mutations, definitely not at all like my experience. That certainly sounds like some bad luck.

Are you doing all of this on single player? All of my breeding (of any species) has been on dedicate servers, now I'm wondering if mutations are different on single player (or if that question even applies to you.

8 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Are you doing all of this on single player?

All the quoted numbers are on dedicated (private) servers. I didn't bother to go look at single player. I run the servers vanilla (no mods) with (as near as I can get) official Small Tribes settings. I may have cranked the XP / harvest  rates up to 3 x (don't remember now) but the rest is vanilla!

1 hour ago, DirkInSA said:

All the quoted numbers are on dedicated (private) servers. I didn't bother to go look at single player. I run the servers vanilla (no mods) with (as near as I can get) official Small Tribes settings. I may have cranked the XP / harvest  rates up to 3 x (don't remember now) but the rest is vanilla!

Yeah that definitely sounds weird, can't think of any reason other than just bad luck with the RNG for this happening.

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

This is true, but I allways felt like if I had a ton of eggs pop all at once, it helped.....Of course that was before the incubator and you had to wait for the eggs to hatch to get anything. 
But the popping them all at once method is how I got my giga's to where I wanted them. Took forever tho. Like seriousely, even with crazy over the top breeding, hatching, and maturity rates jacked way up, it still took me a month to get my gigas to anywhere near capable of dealing with purple extinction drops quality. But I allways had a mutation everytime I popped the eggs. Now if it was in melee like I wanted or oxygen.....>.>

When I did my rexes I did mass hatchings on a platform over a bunch of ACs.  Same, crazy fast rates.  Stacking 10m and 10h mutations took WEEKS.  I'm loving the incubator.

OP sounds like he has remarkably bad luck.  Keep at it.

2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yeah that definitely sounds weird

Yeah v v  weird ... As in this (or another - I don't remember) post I have gone on OK w Rex's & Tek Rex's and even (a long time ago) Ptera's. Same server / same server settings ... I at one moment got to the point of starting to go at Vultures - but the work and the "catch" of those little %^&%$ not responding to "Attack this Target" dissuaded me. Never mind - I will at a moment go gather up that whole damn bunch of "flocks" and breed the whole damn lot at once to see the results. I guess I may have some dodgy hidden "Don't mute Dimorps" setting in my ini's somewhere - but I seriously doubt it.

But thanks ALL for the posts - it is possible - I just ain't got there for some reason or another!!!

1 minute ago, MtnDrew said:

I don't play pvp but if I did I'd have a few.

Never mind PVP they are brilliant in most caves ..... I started before the cryo trick of getting big dino's past the choke points of entry in a lot of the caves - and have not altered my strategy. A flock of high level dimorphs DESTROY stuff!!!!

14 minutes ago, MtnDrew said:

I don't play pvp but if I did I'd have a few.

I remember a long while ago now - I was on official Small Tribes with a dodgy 2 x 2 base on Rag somewhere in the desert. I was like lvl 30 or so (before petra saddle anyway) but I had a flock of DiMorphs set on neutral around my little base to catch the snakes and mantis & etc. And some dude on a Rock Drake (on Rag ????) landed. And the landing provoked my flock. And the dude and his damn drake was history in like 20 secs.  And the further trouble is (from chat) he just wanted to say hello! But anyway he came back w mates - and I found  new server LOL

Archived