question Is there a way to know if Dinos are aggressive or dangerous?

Milanio

So I got Ark (the normal Survival Evolved without DLC) and started playing. After 3 hours I still dont know which Dino is dangerous or aggressive (besides some of the smaller animals like dodos and lysotosauruses things. Also the Parasaur).

Is there a rule of thumb to use to see if a Dino is dangerous without knowing what dino it is?

14 hours ago, Milanio said:

Is there a rule of thumb to use to see if a Dino is dangerous without knowing what dino it is?

There are exceptions to the rule, but the easiest rule of thumb is that most herbivores are safe as long as you don't attack them, carnivores are aggressive and dangerous. And some dino's are safe as long as you don't get too close (like dire bears and therizinosaus) but then turn into vicious killing machines once you get into their personal space.

Looking at the wiki and experience are your best teachers. It's always best to assume a new dino is dangerous until you find out for sure that it's not.

18 hours ago, Milanio said:

Watch it for a bit (from a distance). If it stumbles around different Dinos and leaves them alone - it may be OK. If it goes aggressive on those different Dinos - then its gonna eat you. Not 100%, because a mixed bunch of carnivorous dinos can walk around together without going aggressive.

if you're unsure if a particular dino is aggressive, kill something (dodo, dilo, etc..) and leave the body near it, or in it's path. If it runs over and starts eating, its a carnivore and will attack. Also, as a general rule, avoid all theropods..

obviously there are a few other 'omnivores' that will attack if you're in their space, but they are very few. Most hostile creatures will act that way around herbivores, especially those smaller than themselves.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:59 AM, Milanio said:

So I got Ark (the normal Survival Evolved without DLC) and started playing. After 3 hours I still dont know which Dino is dangerous or aggressive (besides some of the smaller animals like dodos and lysotosauruses things. Also the Parasaur). Is there a rule of thumb to use to see if a Dino is dangerous without knowing what dino it is?

A dangerouse animal will typically "react" to you being there......the dilo will screech and shake its frills. A compy will make a chirping sound. And a raptor will "bounce".

Then of course they will all start to chase you, but thats the last dead giveaway.....Another method is if you can see their teeth. If you can get lucky enough to make or find a spyglass, typically carnivores {angry dino's} will have sharp and nasty looking teeth. However this is not a fool proof plan as some omnivores and herbivores are also aggressive. Because of this, you can either live by trial and error, or live in constant fear of anything you don't know about. And honestly that is probably the best route for survival. Just keep in mind, everything wants to kill you. And you might live long enough to get some stuff done. :P 

22 hours ago, MtnDrew said:

Watch Soloing the Ark by Phlinger Phoo or Ultimate Ark by Syntac. 

OP posted a legitimate and fair question: To refer him to some utube booolsheet is not an answer. Sure maybe he can learn stuff there, but maybe he wants to just play the game without prior knowledge of all the tips and tricks and  things and things that are known in the community. And get a real Play Time answer to his question..................

Sorry I took a beer and this answer rubbed me up the wrong way.

@Milanio Some left field strategy:

This game is a survival game - but you CANNOT be permanently killed!

So (I assume you have a bed to re-spawn at - if not no worries - just use random re-spawn points).

Spawn in. If its your "base" put all of your stuff in a box. Wander round. Look at (and remember) how the dino's around you react to you. When they agro on you - run - but (probably) you gonna die - so re-spawn. same place or different place - it don't matter, it will teach you about what is OK and what will try and eat your face off. When you get to re-spawn, don't go back to your bed - pick a blank spot on the map and spawn there - see what its like and which thingy does what ....

And when you have done that enough for it to be boring then respawn back to your bed - or a place where you died the least - and go on and get to RULE the stuff trying to eat your face off..

On 1/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, DirkInSA said:

OP posted a legitimate and fair question: To refer him to some utube booolsheet is not an answer. Sure maybe he can learn stuff there, but maybe he wants to just play the game without prior knowledge of all the tips and tricks and  things and things that are known in the community. And get a real Play Time answer to his question..................

To be honest I rarely check these forums now. The majority of them seem to be random questions seeking help in the game with the answers being always the same-check YouTube, wiki it, etc...so I totally understand where you are coming from with this. Then I tend to drink and feel a need to post on a forum that I use to love so I also get that too!!! Let’s raise our glasses to the game and forum that we both dearly enjoy!!! 🍺

On 1/8/2022 at 4:59 AM, Milanio said:

So I got Ark (the normal Survival Evolved without DLC) and started playing. After 3 hours I still dont know which Dino is dangerous or aggressive (besides some of the smaller animals like dodos and lysotosauruses things. Also the Parasaur).

A lot of the time, the theropod dinosaurs (the ones that stand on their hind legs) are usually aggressive, while the quadruped ones are more often than not, herbivores, and not aggressive.

6 hours ago, Arkal said:

Go around the map with a notebook, a pencil, and your fists. You know what to do…

Research at its finest XD
"Walks up to parasaur" no reaction. "Punchs parasaur" seems to run away. Scaredy chicken,
"Walks up to stego" No reaction "punches stego" Grunting, shuffleing around, maybe trying to fle......IV BEEN SKEWERED! 

XD

3 hours ago, GP said:

ol I don't think a new player, after 3 hours of playing is going to have a tek helmet.

I dont even know because I never use helmet functions, but doesnt have the Gen2 skin have those functions also? Unfortunatly the OP doesnt seem to have any DLCs so he cant wander around in the Gen2 sim getting to know all the animals like that. Double jump would make sure he survives most encounters there :)

15 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

I dont even know because I never use helmet functions, but doesnt have the Gen2 skin have those functions also? Unfortunatly the OP doesnt seem to have any DLCs so he cant wander around in the Gen2 sim getting to know all the animals like that. Double jump would make sure he survives most encounters there :)

Yes the gen2 helmet can activate this. On xbox hold the X button to use it

On 12/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, DirkInSA said:

And most important this by @maxplank58 .... don't go the GFI "reallyBadAddRexToWinWith" route - or the game will quickly sour and you will have wasted your money

On 1/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, DirkInSA said:

And watching pro players who specialize in solo play is a great way to get those answers, unless you want to figure it all out thru trial and error.  If one has a truly unlimited amount of time to play, sure, figure it out as you go.  If one is a grown up with a job and some other time obligations, anything to shorten the grind would likely be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, MtnDrew said:

And watching pro players who specialize in solo play is a great way to get those answers, unless you want to figure it all out thru trial and error.  If one has a truly unlimited amount of time to play, sure, figure it out as you go.  If one is a grown up with a job and some other time obligations, anything to shorten the grind would likely be appreciated.  

Sure - I don't dispute that at all!!!! My point is that this lot is easily available with a simple web search - but OP chose to post a question here. So maybe he doesn't want to watch 20 mins (or whatever) of game play. Or maybe he don't want to get all the "pro" tips that come in such a stream of game play. He posted a simple(ish) question. Which deserves a simple(ish) answer. And anyway - I did post a caveat of prior beer on the comment :):)

Archived