Community Crunch 298: Fjordur Creature Vote Winner, Community Corner, and More!

StudioWildcard

On 1/9/2022 at 12:11 AM, TimeBomb2003 said:

I don't know, it seems like you're the only one who is genuinely upset about it being added.

No, he’s not. I fought on the frontlines to get this thing out for the first vote. And when I saw it again, I was pissed. The next time @StudioWildcard does a vote, semifinals shouldn’t show votes either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highmobility said:

No, he’s not. I fought on the frontlines to get this thing out for the first vote. And when I saw it again, I was pissed. The next time @StudioWildcard does a vote, semifinals shouldn’t show votes either.

So, you're pissed about wildcard giving you free content with no strings attached? It's not like there adding it instead of the dinopithecus, or instead of the desmodus. It's just an extra creature added to the game.

I really didn't want the bison to win the creature vote, and thankfully (for me), It didn't. But if Wildcard all of a sudden made an announcement tomorrow that the bison is getting added to the base game, I'd be cool with it, because it would be free content.

1 hour ago, Highmobility said:

Like I said, I have no clue why people believe I am the only one "complaining", as again I am no doubt the most vocal be not the only one. you and cosmic are prime examples of that.

3 minutes ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

So, you're pissed about wildcard giving you free content with no strings attached? It's not like there adding it instead of the dinopithecus, or instead of the desmodus. It's just an extra creature added to the game.

I really didn't want the bison to win the creature vote, and thankfully (for me), It didn't. But if Wildcard all of a sudden made an announcement tomorrow that the bison is getting added to the base game, I'd be cool with it, because it would be free content.

Congratulations, you missed the whole point... AGAIN. It is not the fact it is getting added anyway... it's W-H-Y it's getting added that has people upset. If WC TRULY wanted to add this animal WITHOUT causing an uproar, they should have announced it AFTER the release of the new map AND make it a surprise update.

THAT would be doing fan service, THIS is just caving to entailed children.

Edited by TyranntX

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Arkdude19 said:

That hawk is my new favorite animal, the abilities are sick, and the way it looks is also sick, can't wait to tame like 50 of these, BTW, when does the new map come out? (can't pronounce or spell the name)

June 2022 is when it is planned for release.

19 hours ago, Arkdude19 said:

That hawk is my new favorite animal, the abilities are sick, and the way it looks is also sick, can't wait to tame like 50 of these, BTW, when does the new map come out? (can't pronounce or spell the name)

Am buzzing for the new hawk too, am going to breed the heck out of these !

On 1/7/2022 at 11:07 PM, Gigantula said:

Well this sucks. Its unfortunate an unrealistic creature got in instead of something that was actually accurate like the bison. The bat is just a reskinned blood wyvern.

It's literally not even added yet and you are already saying "its just a reskinned yadda-yadda". Wait till we see some actual info.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TekTusoteuthis said:

It's literally not even added yet and you are already saying "its just a reskinned yadda-yadda". Wait till we see some actual info.

The real hilarity is them talking about a lack of realism considering the in game abilities of creatures in game. I mean as an example last I checked nothing in the fossil record indicated that Amargasaurus could shoot hot and cold quills out of its body and regrow them.

• Like 2

Since I started ark (back in 2017 when it released on console) I was always wondering if they’d add like a bigger bat creature. Like an onyc but a lot larger (basically the desmodus lmao) bc bats are one of my fav animals and im sorry if this is annoying but ive always thought that the animations for the flyers in the game have been a bit basic so I hope the team at wildcard can pull off a more realistic approach to it. (Kind of like it’s body moving with the wings as they flap like real bats) but yeah I hope u guys at wildcard are doing good and I can’t wait for the Desmodus! (If I get a blue one I’m naming it zubat xD)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

The real hilarity is them talking about a lack of realism considering the in game abilities of creatures in game. I mean as an example last I checked nothing in the fossil record indicated that Amargasaurus could shoot hot and cold quills out of its body and regrow them.

Yeah but that’s how it’s supposed to be. All the dinos/creatures on the arks are genetically modified versions of the original dinos. That’s why the raptor doesn’t have many feathers and the Rex has none at all, they are genetically modified clones of the real thing just like the survivors on the arks

On 1/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, Onimusha759 said:

Thats my point, the details literally say, as long as its feet touch bottom it wont be slowed down.  Every creature in the game moves at full speed as long as its feet touch bottom.  Someone said it might be referencing that it can sink to bottom and charge, but that skill wasnt really detailed at all.  The way the crunch puts it just suggests it doesn't lose speed running through water as long as its feet touch the bottom...Which every creature already does lol

It said it's movement is barely slowed in deep water. That's probably meaning its swim speed.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:25 AM, DoggoAsHotdog said:

Boogus Syntac rigged the vote for the bat the giant bison would have won if syntac never existed

Syntac did not rig the vote at all people just liked the bat (Syntac did say he voted the bat as his number 1 but that was after the vote had finished).

On 1/8/2022 at 8:25 AM, DoggoAsHotdog said:

Boogus Syntac rigged the vote for the bat the giant bison would have

21 hours ago, GeneralTalon said:

It said it's movement is barely slowed in deep water. That's probably meaning its swim speed.

Then explain the as long as its feet touch bottom bit.  I think it sinks and charges on the bottom like the other guy said because it also mentioned its density at 1 point.  Still, it was very poorly explained regardless.  The fact we could debate it is proof that dossier needs work.

I am quite happy that desmodus won seeing as I had voted it as my third place creature (pyroraptor in first and armandillosuchus in second), and I am also glad that charcarodontasaurus is coming as well because the reason I didn't want it to win either votes was that I would have ratherred it to come more than 1 map which it is now.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:33 PM, SixShooter0466 said:

I mean, not really you can just make it alittle bit bigger and you don't have to give it a saddle you can make it without a saddle as that is capable. Plus, if they are doing an update to add the carchardonto then maybe, just "maybe' there might be a tlc so then you could just change a few things and it's model size doesn't have to be like the Dracule? 

Obviously you don't know how hard modelling and animation is

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrGoob said:

Obviously you don't know how hard modelling and animation is

This. I watch a dude on youtube who does some pretty neat animations for his gaming videos  and the amount of time and effort it takes for him to get even a second of animation done borders on mindnumbing. Dude routinely has 12+ hour streams over the course of DAYS to make things look good and animate smoothly and realistically for clips that very rarely exceed three minutes in length. Keep in mind the guy does it for skits and bits and is using preestablished models that aren't being made to function too differently, the effort it takes to retool a model for actual usage in a game and not just to spice up a video is likely far more in depth. You don't just supersize an existing model and huck in a different animation like it's no big deal; you have to go from the ground up. Skeleton rig work (yes they could and likely will use a wyvern skeleton admittedly but they have to account for size variation, this thing will likely be no bigger than a griffin), animation reworks (an onyc rework would require a landing, walking, attacking, feeding, level up and if the abilities are added, a grappling and climbing animation as they're pretty static as they are now), accounting for environmental interaction to avoid meshing and clipping or the thing going full dying ankylosaur on us with every movement. Add to that they'll possibly also want a new sound pack for the creature since current onyc sounds would be extremely underwhelming and anemic from something meant to be both menacing and big enough to ride. 

Tl;dr it's a pretty intense and time consuming process.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see Carcharo being added without taking up the vote winner's position. I wanted Carcharo since it's among my favorite dinosaurs, but I didn't want it to win the vote entirely because it was by far the least unique option. It's nice to see that Wildcard is redeeming themselves and trying to please as much of the community as possible with this creature, and I really hope Carcharo can add something unique and interesting to finally let the creature's controversy die down. I'm also happy with Desmodus winning the vote. Overall this turned out way better than what happened with the Lost Island drama.

• Thanks 1