Why sci-fi animals/tek should be stay in ARK-2.

Connergrey08

Let me start with the the elephant in the room. And that is the factor that some people think ARK wasn't a "sci-fi" game. Which is the biggest/likeliest argument of 'why' tek is being removed from ARK-2.

Firstly, ARK was 'always' considered/planned/was/is a sci-fi game 'with' dinosaurs. This is proven further with old concept-art with obelisks "always" being a factor in the game. Even before they had a gameplay mechanic to them. (which that alone, came out later on after the game was launched in 2015.)
Yes, the biggest marketing factor with ARK was the dinosaurs, and the wide range of tamable dinosaurs. And how no other game let you do that in a almost AAA-game like format.

But while that, they also added other prehistoric creatures like sabortooths, and mammoths. More became a 50/50 of actual dinosaurs and just prehistoric animals.
But with the edition of Scorched-Earth. They added mythical creatures, or never before heard creatures directly made by Wildcard Studios.
And these creatures had 'great' design.
Don't get me wrong. The core-game creatures at the time where great also, but something about originally creature tamable animals was interesting.
Then Aberration came out, with more original created creatures. And they too, where tamable.
The game became more and more like a 3D survival tamagotchi game, instead of a generic dinosaur zoo-game.
Then, the addition of tek back in 2017 was......iffy.
I can defiantly see peoples point in the "balance" issue of tek. It was chaos.
Though, with each expansion, it expanded tek, and each new tek-based items where QoL stuff.

Tek currently is a great example of what can be 'progression' is ARK.
You start out with nothing, but then level-up and have more experience with old mechanics become easier, and so tek would give a item that's basically just "here, have a f*%$ing mek, cause you've earned it." While giving you new challenges to face in late-game, that would've been impossible to do at early-game.

Another slight point, is that ARK has always been a "progressive" game.
What i mean by that, is that you've always gone from "stone-age" to "primitive-industrial" age. Even back in 2015, flak armor was the best armor to get. And it was made out of metal, which requires a forge.
Fabricators, and tek, just add onto this progression more.
And again, i do feel like it could've been balanced better. And first impressions are always the most important.

But from everything we've seen from ARK-2 so far (which isn't a lot)
If it's just a generic dinosaur taming simulator that features Vin-Diesel and he legit talks about "family" while sharpening his spear, and that's basically the 'whole' game. I have little, to no interest to it anymore.

But these are just my thoughts. If you have a counter-point, i'd love to hear it. And please, keep it civil.

the amount of quoted words just made it hurt to read this, and the main thing with tek is that it was just done in an unbalanced way for PvP, its great for PvE because it allows for those little things that are normally annoying but in PvP they made it too overpowered, with all the tek stuff (and especially the turrets in general) it turned base raiding from skill combat to just sit with a stego until turrets are drained. I'm fine with having tek and sci-fi dinos in ark 2 but they need to keep pvp from becoming the mess it is now.

3 hours ago, Mangost said:

Sorry man.
The point is the quotes is to make sure everyone is on the same page. Since i have had this discussion with many people before hand, and they always want to bring up other points that aren't relevant to tek.

Yeah man, i agree with you. Tek is a very PvE based tier, and always felt more towards PvE then PvP.
I think either two solutions are at hand with this issue.

A: remove tek outright from PvP based servers. Actually have PvE and PvP have their own stuff.
Only issue i see with this though, is that your content blocking some people that want to PvP with tek.

Or B: make tek more balance for PvP.
We can already see this, if we look at the Dinopithecus. It's feces can disable tek-armor. And it's roughly a mid-game creature.
But that's the issue. It only disables tek-armor. Not anything else.
If it was able to disable tek-turrets also, then that would've been great. But it would've also still fallen flat, due to a tek-turret most likely killing the creature before you can disable enough turrets to deem it safe.

Tek was what made me start playing Ark. Always reminded me of Carnivores and the drop ship . 

Without much information on Ark 2 it’s hard to say what will and won’t be in the game. From the information we do have there will be sci-fi creatures. 

556FA676-1B5E-46F0-8A89-8882FF4BEBE8.thumb.jpg.329a4da3994e553f25909728cf422706.jpg 

What tek will be included or how is still a mystery. From a lore standpoint tek has made it planet side.5B367EAC-3D2C-4C40-AF06-3B33263B8A4E.thumb.jpg.b508807a9b34e85869c49a23a14a0472.jpg

2 minutes ago, RTGLoot said:

It does remind me of Carnivore actually.
But for the information of "no tek" they've sadly already confirmed in the Community-Crunch the week after Genesis-2 came out that ARK-2 wont have tek.
With the flower-lizard, and the ogre like guys. (and us being set on a literal alien planet) i have no doubt we wont get tamable fantasy creatures. I just added them to the post to try to solidify their stay. Since that's another thing people don't like about ARK.

18 hours ago, Connergrey08 said:

Let me start with the the elephant in the room. And that is the factor that some people think ARK wasn't a "sci-fi" game. Which is the biggest/likeliest argument of 'why' tek is being removed from ARK-2.

As far as I know all that's said is it will be more primitive focused. Besides that, the ARK is left in the sequel, it's a different world.
But most of all: If we want the same game over again, what is the point of a new game? My worry is the game's performance- and stability issues, not the content.

5 hours ago, RTGLoot said:

There's going to be tek leftovers from the Genesis-ship for lore purposes. Dollie already confirmed this in a way.
I more mean 'usable' tek.
If you go to Community-Crunch 271, they state "So, what’s next? Not TEK, that's for sure 😏.  As we look forward to a primarily primitive-themed ARK 2, "

3 minutes ago, MMaas said:

As far as I know all that's said is it will be more primitive focused. Besides that, the ARK is left in the sequel, it's a different world.
But most of all: If we want the same game over again, what is the point of a new game? My worry is the game's performance- and stability issues, not the content.

We haven't been on a ARK since Aberration.
And yes, the point of a sequel is to innovate what made the last title so good.
But generally, all games in a series play generally the same.
All the 3D Fallout games play the same, just with new mechanics.
Red Dead 2 is like the first game, but improved.
DOOM games all generally play the same.
So instead of removing tek, why not just innovate on it?
And yeah, performance and stability is a key factor also. I 100% agree with that. But content is what makes a game.
Cause even with all of ARK's issues with performance and whatnot, it still have a good size playerbase due to the content.

6 hours ago, Mangost said:

maybe change tek from powerful structures/items and have it focus more on dino upgrades? (like the tek saddles but more expanded with ways to alter the use of dinos such as tanking, damage or even some support roles)

This very much could work.
They could also make tek a more QoL tier for any early-game stuff. Then you don't have to focus on meat runs, or huge resource gathering anymore. And just focus on the end-game challenges.

16 hours ago, Connergrey08 said:

This very much could work.
They could also make tek a more QoL tier for any early-game stuff. Then you don't have to focus on meat runs, or huge resource gathering anymore. And just focus on the end-game challenges.

yeah that would be nice, maybe also making it easier to get (so other than expensive materials/boss runs because its no longer as op)

How about a system where you can ascend to another tek realm, but not come back...or not come back with tek. Only done in a way that makes it logical not just denying the use of tek, but having a tangible reason why...maybe radiation from a nearby star prohibits tek function on Ark 2, but the next map or realm is different.

I also thought about the current game and how maybe there could be a mode of play where once you ascend to tek, you can no longer interact with non-tek individuals. Perhaps like the tek folk live in another dimension that occupies the same space. Just a very general vague concept, but if there was a practical way to do it nicely, perhaps that could make pvp less toxic.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, DeliaHaze20 said:

you tek people can stay behind its time for the primitives to rise up! and on a more serious note tek has ruined pvp for me so i for one welcome primitive playstyle and who knows it way make the game more challenging and put survival back in to the game.

what would you suggest to fix it . Since it’s Ark 2 tek can be redone from the ground up, if included in more than just the survivors implants.  

I won't try to tell anyone what they should think is fun - Ark has had a couple of personalities over the years and many people cling to the idea that suits them the best, whether it is the Flintstones-style Ark or Halo-Ark.  But I can tell you that from my experience, PvP was a lot more fun before tek.  I prefer the challenge and dynamics of a primitive like competitive setting.  Just another opinion among many.

12 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

But I can tell you that from my experience, PvP was a lot more fun before tek.  I prefer the challenge and dynamics of a primitive like competitive setting.

Can imagine that!
As a new player your options are either get raided the moment you build anything larger than 2 thatch or join a mega tribe. The progress that ARK made was mostly catering towards the existing alpha's an not about attracting new players. PvP is more about Server versus Server than about players in the curent state.

Time for a fresh and more ballanced start!

• 1 month later...

Archived