New Year's Eve Event, single player

maxplanck58

41 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

Does anyone know if the New Year's Eve gift-drop event will happen automatically in single-player, or if a parameter needs to be added to the command line for it to trigger?

last couple years we did not get anything at all. No event, no suprise, nothing. So I can't help you with my experiences. =/

48 minutes ago, Istraken said:

You have to add  -NewYearEvent

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/341.56

Thanks so much.  Do you know if this can be added as a Steam launch option, or does it have to be appended to the executable command line?  I have had trouble finding a thorough set of instructions for those that have not done it before.

6 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

Thanks so much.  Do you know if this can be added as a Steam launch option, or does it have to be appended to the executable command line?  I have had trouble finding a thorough set of instructions for those that have not done it before.

In the main menu under the advanced tab, last item, you can enter events.

This is a pretty good explanation video for the event from last year, and in the comments, the creator states that the event starts in SP but you can't change the time. So I'm gonna try start my SP at local equivalent to 12 PM EST (a few minutes before), and see what happens.

All other events work on SP, so why shouldn't this one?

15 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

You add it as a command line, the link i gave explains the event.

Also you can change the time, by default it goes off at midnight est, and noon est on Jan 1st

The instructions for single player are completely lacking.  So far, I have heard confident opinions on getting the event in the following ways:

1) just add NewYearEvent into the active event field within the in-game advanced options tab

2) add -NewYearEvent to the Steam launch options when you go to properties within Steam

3) make a batch file to call an ark executable and add -NewYearEvent to the end of it

The majority of the sparse opinions are consistent with the first one.  If it is the 3rd option, I wonder how many Steam players that just normally click a launch button to play will know how to add something to a command line?

It's incredibly disappointing that for the second year in a row this didn't work in singleplayer, and there's been no official word from any Wildcard staff about it.

Rant aside, if you're a little tech savvy it's pretty easy to just run a dedicated server using Ark Server Manager.   In a fraction of the time I wasted last year failing to get it to work I just ran the event this year on a fresh dedicated save through ASM.  I'll either be able to directly upload whatever loot I want to use back in singleplayer, or just copy the map from dedicated and run it in singleplayer long enough to upload the good loot.

18 hours ago, egernybar said:

It's incredibly disappointing that for the second year in a row this didn't work in singleplayer, and there's been no official word from any Wildcard staff about it. Rant aside, if you're a little tech savvy it's pretty easy to just run a dedicated server using Ark Server Manager.   In a fraction of the time I wasted last year failing to get it to work I just ran the event this year on a fresh dedicated save through ASM.  I'll either be able to directly upload whatever loot I want to use back in singleplayer, or just copy the map from dedicated and run it in singleplayer long enough to upload the good loot.

Iv been thinking about getting a server going, but its going to be incredibly difficult on my end. First I got to wait for the company to run fiber optics here {we got fiber comeing FINALLY!!!!!} Once they get the line in, I only have a very out of date and beat up AIO computer, if I can set up a server, its prolly going to be a offsite rental service thing that I can log into remotely. Best I can do.

But the catch, trying to figure out which server is easiest to manage and hopefully help me set it up so that both console players and PC players can play together......

Mostly a pipe dream till the fiber gets here. Then its only time and money.

Archived