Magmasaur, is it really worth it?

wizard03

So I just spent two whole days trying to raise a magmasaur and I succeeded. It took about 90 dead bronto's turned into cooked meat, and then fed to a daedon so that it could heal the magmasaur as it grew, but I managed to do it!
See the source image
Anyways, I decided to have a bit of a test run and right away I feel a little underwhelmed. Its speed is fair for a creature its size, however its weight capacity was junk {may have had low weight stats to begin with, so meh} its health is ok I suppose, but the attack animation is really slow as all get out. Its special attack is good, but lets face it, if you gotta sit there for a week to recharge the special attack every time and the fireball moves as slow as a snail, you might as well just use the regular melee attack instead to actually hit your targets.

The final bummer is the extreamly slow rate at which you turn metal ore into metal ingots.......I could be wrong, but it feels like a phoenix makes the ingots faster, and the magmasaur for sure is slower than the indy forge......why?
With all that I went through to make sure it lived, WHY?!?!?!

not sure if Im impressed with the magmas.....not sure at all anyone else know what these guys are good for?

I don't know why you used a daeodon to heal the magmasaur while it's growing lol, you're able to raise them with sulfur now instead of just ambergris. I live on an ocean platform on the Lost Island map so if I was to use my magmasaur I wouldn't be able to run it back to base, I have to load up the metal onto my argy then cryo the magma, which means I wouldn't be able to carry as much metal back than if I was using an argy + anky combo. The magma is faster getting around than the anky sure, but it can't go everywhere than an anky an argy can, as well as the fact that dododex says the magma is also a worse metal gatherer than the anky is. To end with it, while the magma is an "apex" dino that almost nothing would attack and better in a fight than an anky, a high lvl non-bred anky is still more than strong enough to deal with almost any threat you come across in your mining, so yea the magma sucks, not really worth using.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

So I just spent two whole days trying to raise a magmasaur and I succeeded. It took about 90 dead bronto's turned into cooked meat, and then fed to a daedon so that it could heal the magmasaur as it grew, but I managed to do it!
See the source image
Anyways, I decided to have a bit of a test run and right away I feel a little underwhelmed. Its speed is fair for a creature its size, however its weight capacity was junk {may have had low weight stats to begin with, so meh} its health is ok I suppose, but the attack animation is really slow as all get out. Its special attack is good, but lets face it, if you gotta sit there for a week to recharge the special attack every time and the fireball moves as slow as a snail, you might as well just use the regular melee attack instead to actually hit your targets.

The final bummer is the extreamly slow rate at which you turn metal ore into metal ingots.......I could be wrong, but it feels like a phoenix makes the ingots faster, and the magmasaur for sure is slower than the indy forge......why?
With all that I went through to make sure it lived, WHY?!?!?!

not sure if Im impressed with the magmas.....not sure at all anyone else know what these guys are good for?

Their platform weight is just under the limit to go into boss fights, for example they can be used on island dragon.  They let you sit in the volcano w/out getting hurt during an eruption. Excellent metal farmers if you don't have access to striders.

14 hours ago, Supremist said:

I don't know why you used a daeodon to heal the magmasaur while it's growing lol, you're able to raise them with sulfur now instead of just ambergris. I live on an ocean platform on the Lost Island map so if I was to use my magmasaur I wouldn't be able to run it back to base, I have to load up the metal onto my argy then cryo the magma, which means I wouldn't be able to carry as much metal back than if I was using an argy + anky combo. The magma is faster getting around than the anky sure, but it can't go everywhere than an anky an argy can, as well as the fact that dododex says the magma is also a worse metal gatherer than the anky is. To end with it, while the magma is an "apex" dino that almost nothing would attack and better in a fight than an anky, a high lvl non-bred anky is still more than strong enough to deal with almost any threat you come across in your mining, so yea the magma sucks, not really worth using.

you cannot raise a magmasaur with sulphur, please see video here: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/149474556
However Im suspect that you are correct on in being a bleh tame. With that said, I have not checked to see if it harvests metal any better or worse than the anky. Big thanks on the heads up for that, even though it doubles down on my heartbreak. x.x

13 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

Their platform weight is just under the limit to go into boss fights, for example they can be used on island dragon.  They let you sit in the volcano w/out getting hurt during an eruption. Excellent metal farmers if you don't have access to striders.

Ok, THAT is interesting.....while Im not sure how well they would work out, Im absolutely in love with the idea of being an anti dragon boss fighter for the island. Might take some work to get a group of them set up, but at least I could farm island element for the tek BP's Iv been harvesting in extinction.
But still curiouse about the metal harvesting. Supermist says they suck? and no striders as of now

1 hour ago, Mai said:

it becomes more useful in gen2 space

13 hours ago, MMaas said:

The only upside is they are mobile, podable grills and forges. Just as Dimetrodons relate to AC's and Equus to pestels: It's fun but not as efficient as the hardware. Fully agree that a decent Anky/Argy combo with a forge at your base is far more efficient in use and very simple to breed.

well crap, sounds like I got arked for the most part. I was afraid of that. x.x Never fails, bust your tail for hours if not days on end, find the best way to work around all the bugs and thongs that should have been fixed in testing, and then when you finally rise victorious over the odds, your prize is worse off than if you had stuck to the meta. x.x

Best thing I could do is find a bunch of 150 eggs, breed them for the dragon boss fight, transfer them to the island. Worst thing is to park them at the metal nodes in the desert and visit them once a day to see what the got cooked up. >.>

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

Nope.

hehehe, ok I feel a bit better now. Still Im kinda bummed over the whole ordeal. I would have been perfectly happy if maybe the magmasaur would have at least worked like 3 or 4 regular forges. Even if it doesn't gather as fast as an anky, at least I could have him walking behind the anky with an occasional exchange so that I could smelt metal and harvest at the same time.......Guess argy, anky, and indy forge is still meta.

48 minutes ago, invision said:

my magmasaur with 600% melee out gathers my anky with 2000% melee on Pve official

Is it also producing ingots faster than the indy forge or you combine those?

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Guess argy, anky, and indy forge is still meta.

Stryder linked with dedi next to forge. Not as much fun, but who said farming must be fun anyhow? :P

18 hours ago, MMaas said:

Is it also producing ingots faster than the indy forge or you combine those?

Stryder linked with dedi next to forge. Not as much fun, but who said farming must be fun anyhow? :P

not to gen 2 yet, but yeah at least when I get to that point, Ill be able to get that going. However from some of the online video's, you can hit supply drops for the things you need metal for.....Chem bench, grinder, I think I seen a guy get a indy forge from a supply drop too.
At least bullets will be easier to make? XD

=-------------------------------------------=
My final impression

After I finally put it through its paces, I have determined that while its very good at gathering, you still indeed need a flock of argies and an indy forge to cook with.
My magma was a lvl 70 and only had 300 melee. Not sure how that compares, however I noticed I was getting about 1000 metal a node, no server adjustments to increase harvesting. I only ran about 30% of the wyvern trench before all of my argies {2000 weight each}, two wyverns, and a single snow owl was loaded to the gills. The most time consuming part was when a poison wyvern lvl 190 decided to start playing with me. Other than that, metal gathering was fairly quick and painless.
However, the health of my magma was sad, only about 6k health, so that poison wyvern was kinda pain to deal with. Thank goodness I had my argy crew with me as they was the ones to actually deal with it while I sat there and dealt with the damage it handed me.
The snow owl is an absolute must for anyone who wishes to deal with the trench like this.

With all of this said, the trip was indeed productive. 73 slots of the indy forge filled in one go. Took about 2 hours, but the wyverns and snow owl healing was about half an hour, and the trip back was prolly anouther half. If anyone sets up shop right there, you could easily drown in metal.

Just wish he would smelt better at this point, but its not a total wash out......I get a couple baslisks and we should be able to roll coal like a boss.

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

not to gen 2 yet, but yeah at least when I get to that point, Ill be able to get that going. However from some of the online video's, you can hit supply drops for the things you need metal for.....Chem bench, grinder, I think I seen a guy get a indy forge from a supply drop too.
At least bullets will be easier to make? XD

=-------------------------------------------=
My final impression

After I finally put it through its paces, I have determined that while its very good at gathering, you still indeed need a flock of argies and an indy forge to cook with.
My magma was a lvl 70 and only had 300 melee. Not sure how that compares, however I noticed I was getting about 1000 metal a node, no server adjustments to increase harvesting. I only ran about 30% of the wyvern trench before all of my argies {2000 weight each}, two wyverns, and a single snow owl was loaded to the gills. The most time consuming part was when a poison wyvern lvl 190 decided to start playing with me. Other than that, metal gathering was fairly quick and painless.
However, the health of my magma was sad, only about 6k health, so that poison wyvern was kinda pain to deal with. Thank goodness I had my argy crew with me as they was the ones to actually deal with it while I sat there and dealt with the damage it handed me.
The snow owl is an absolute must for anyone who wishes to deal with the trench like this.

With all of this said, the trip was indeed productive. 73 slots of the indy forge filled in one go. Took about 2 hours, but the wyverns and snow owl healing was about half an hour, and the trip back was prolly anouther half. If anyone sets up shop right there, you could easily drown in metal.

Just wish he would smelt better at this point, but its not a total wash out......I get a couple baslisks and we should be able to roll coal like a boss.

u might consider trying gasbags for moving more weight.  We had ones that could point up to 10k weight w/out mutations.  U just put in oxy and weight for the most part and they can hold alot of weight.

5 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

u might consider trying gasbags for moving more weight.  We had ones that could point up to 10k weight w/out mutations.  U just put in oxy and weight for the most part and they can hold alot of weight.

Well I started lost island fresh. Kinda wanted that old first starting out feel. So I got access to only whats in the map, and I haven't seen any gasbags in here. =/

21 hours ago, iAgnehole said:

Best ways to farm imo, guess they all depends on what you have available. Teleporters help alot.

1. Tekstryder linked to dedibox
2. Magmasaur and tekskiff, makes metalfarming so quick. Just carry the magma with skiff and you can blackbox it easy. 
3. Anky and karkinos
4. Anky and argy

Agreed, those are defiantly the way to go if you can

Archived