Any server owners that have had this and fixed it?

SgtMorrigahn

Ok. I've been working on this for days and days, and I can't figure it out.

I have a dedicated servermachine, where I've set up some ARK servers in a cluster.
Servers are running fine, and me and my wife can easily join through ARKs LAN tab, but we can't find them through "Unofficial" tab.
Due to this, we can't find the clustered servers in the obelisks.
Ports are portforwarded correctly, and we can see the servers being online through Arkservers.net, but even after 18 hours they do not show up in the "Unofficial" tab on ARK.
When I look for them in Steam servers, I can only find them in the LAN tab, again.

The ports that is forwarded is 7777-7783, 27015-27018 and 32330-32333. Server machine is on a static internal IP.
My ISP gave me direct access to the media converter modem, so I can control everything there, along with my router that is bridged to enable the portforwarding. The server machine is a gaming laptop, that run only Windows 10 and the servers.
We play on our own desktop PCs.
Internet speed is 100/100 so it should not be bottlenecked there.

Any advice? Anyone have had this problem but fixed it?

You need NAT loop back or hairpin NAT enabled on your router. That allows the LAN clients to "see" the servers as published to your WAN address. Some routers have an option to enable this - hope yours does! If you go to battlemetrics.com you WILL be able to see your servers as active. The direct connect to a individual server is OK (as you see) but the Ark Server browser (and therefore the transfer to different server) is publishing the WAN or internet address of the other maps in the cluster, and without hairpin NAT that WAN address is not available to your LAN.

Technically your game client requests a list of servers. That includes the servers running on your Win 10 LapTop - BUT the IP of those servers is your public or WAN address. The game client then tries to talk with that public or WAN address, but the router knows that the WAN address is NATed to your internal Win 10 LapTop and thus sends the client request directly to the internal address of the Win 10 LapTop. The server talks back to the client request (directly - cause it is on the LAN), and the client doesn't know what to do with replies from a LAN IP when it has sent requests to the WAN IP of the server. So no connection can be made. Hairpin NAT makes the traffic on the LAN directed at the WAN IP flow through the router which knows who sent what to who and who is replying to who, and then things work as expected.

6 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

You need NAT loop back or hairpin NAT enabled on your router. That allows the LAN clients to "see" the servers as published to your WAN address. Some routers have an option to enable this - hope yours does! If you go to battlemetrics.com you WILL be able to see your servers as active. The direct connect to a individual server is OK (as you see) but the Ark Server browser (and therefore the transfer to different server) is publishing the WAN or internet address of the other maps in the cluster, and without hairpin NAT that WAN address is not available to your LAN.

Technically your game client requests a list of servers. That includes the servers running on your Win 10 LapTop - BUT the IP of those servers is your public or WAN address. The game client then tries to talk with that public or WAN address, but the router knows that the WAN address is NATed to your internal Win 10 LapTop and thus sends the client request directly to the internal address of the Win 10 LapTop. The server talks back to the client request (directly - cause it is on the LAN), and the client doesn't know what to do with replies from a LAN IP when it has sent requests to the WAN IP of the server. So no connection can be made. Hairpin NAT makes the traffic on the LAN directed at the WAN IP flow through the router which knows who sent what to who and who is replying to who, and then things work as expected.

That explains alot mate! Thanks.

My problem then is that I can't seem to find anything regarding NAT Loopback or hairpin NAT on the system. The ISP for my fiber have it set up ( I don't know if this is the norm, we just recently got fiber in my area ) is that I have a media converter on the intake. This is where I needed to set the port forwarding. I have no other things I can do with this media converter. Then I have a router that is in bridge mode ( by my understanding this one now does nothings except give out the wifi signal. As I have an app on the phone that can control this one, I have an option on it that is called Hardware NAT, and I turned that on ( it was off before I read your comment ), but I don't know if that matter when the router is in bridge mode ( I turned bridge off, set Hardware NAT to true and turned Bridge mode back on, as I was told it HAS to be in bridge mode for portforward to work on my fiber )

18 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Check your Firewall, and check that you have a gap of 2 between each port number.

Each server have a serverport, peer, query and rcon port so the first one is occupying 7777, 7778, 27015 and 32333 .. next server get the next set .. and so on

From my understanding the "peer" port is needed for the RawUDP socket

15 hours ago, SgtMorrigahn said:

This is where I needed to set the port forwarding. I have no other things I can do with this media converter.

Yeah, I am guessing that if this is where the port forward occurs, then this is where the loopback needs to be done as well .... So Im sorry but it looks like you are up a creek w no paddle. My set up is a little different in that I have a "Customer Premise Equipment" box that gets the fiber input, and a router connected to that which does all the actual connection / firewall / port forwarding and etc. My CPE is utterly stupid - it does not even have an IP address, looks like all it does is convert from fiber to ethernet? So maybe that is your "Media Converter" in a different guise? But the bit that carries the WAN IP and does port forwarding is where the loop back must happen. Maybe your ISP can help?

Note you can still transfer your character across maps just by copying the steamID.arkprofile file from one map save directory to the other. But no kit will transfer so you have to use the terminals for kit, and clearly you should not be playing on a map when you do the copy - exit Map A, copy profile, join map B.

Otherwise I saw a post somewhere where peeps were using a VPN to access their own LAN servers from the internet - where everything will work OK - but that seems a bit daft ....

Archived