Sinomacrops taming nightmares

JetJaguar

• Wildcard QA

Sinomacrops were intentionally made more skittish than other passive tames in ARK. For example, they will most likely flee if they get near a standing player, or any tamed dinosaurs.

It would be really helpful for us to get any videos where any "bugs" during taming happen, so that we can try to reproduce the issues. Thank you

3 hours ago, Evza said:

Sinomacrops were intentionally made more skittish than other passive tames in ARK. For example, they will most likely flee if they get near a standing player, or any tamed dinosaurs.

It would be really helpful for us to get any videos where any "bugs" during taming happen, so that we can try to reproduce the issues. Thank you

When they infinitely fly head first into walls is that a characteristic of their skittish behavior or a "bug" or maybe just a regular old bug not in quotations? 

• Wildcard QA
19 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

When they infinitely fly head first into walls is that a characteristic of their skittish behavior or a "bug" or maybe just a regular old bug not in quotations? 

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - by "bugs" in quotations all I mean is, actual issues occuring, feedback to make it better, or any other suggestions otherwise that I can pass along. Videos really are the most helpful resource to provide in such cases though.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, Evza said:

Sinomacrops were intentionally made more skittish than other passive tames in ARK. For example, they will most likely flee if they get near a standing player, or any tamed dinosaurs. It would be really helpful for us to get any videos where any "bugs" during taming happen, so that we can try to reproduce the issues. Thank you

It is extremely simple, but I will do a video of it tomorrow......You see a sino, it does the hearts and comes to you, you feed it a chitin, it flies off and never comes back. You try to chase it, and if your reeeeeally careful, it will not scare away, but still will not come to you, a lot of time goes by, maybe you get to feed it once or twice, but never enough to fully tame, and then suddenly it starts to loose taming effectiveness and slowly you loose all your progress till you start from scratch again.
And of course if you ever get caught walking towards it, its game over.

The biggest problem right now, is while it is possible to get a fair to decent level tamed, this will become nearly impossible after the christmas event ends and the faster than usual tameing is normalized. It will be nearly impossible to tame a lvl 150 unless you use an off the wall tactic such as the cave spawn or the torch and wooden sign trick.

• Volunteer Moderator

I've not had any issues taming Sinos.

I pretty much am out and about (sometimes not even hunting Sinos) with chitin in my 0 slot. I see the hearts, and the first thing I do is stop moving, crouch and wait for it to come. When it flies off I stand up and go after it. Depending on how far it is going I run sometimes, but I do have some movement speed so go a bit faster than default by walking.

When I start to see it turn I stop, crouch, and crawl along towards it until its hearts show, and I keep crawling until it is in front of me. If it flies into a rock side and gets stuck I crawl upto it and wait, it soon gets free and shows hearts.

Never had any issues with taming them or their effectiveness.

The only issue I ever had was having it fly in the area of a Rex that was eating stuff, so required some skilled maneuvering on my part. 😆

Sounds like the standing torch / wooden sign trick may have been patched, but I did some experiments and managed to tame a couple.

As others mentioned, the river canyon by Green Ob is ideal because the Sinos get stuck on the walls, and there’s not much around to attack you.  I built a raft and much of the taming was there, but did leave my Dire Wolf mount back on shore — being anywhere near him caused the Sinos to wave off landing for Chitin treats.

I would occasionally have to jump ship and get on shore, and that’s where the learning really happened.  Walking between 30 to 50 meters was perfect to not scare them off, but stay close enough that they would “heart” you and land for treats.  No running!

Walking for more than a few moments closer than 30 meters scared them off.  BUT, getting to 28 — not 29 and not 27 — for just a second or two would get hearts and a landing.  Then they fly, follow walking just outside 30 meters, and if they don’t come to you when stuck on a wall, get *briefly* to 28 and back out to 30 meters seemed to work well.

One question for the group: Any luck getting Sinos to glide on XBox single player?  If so, what buttons?  Still can’t get that working — thanks!

17 hours ago, GP said:

I've not had any issues taming Sinos. I pretty much am out and about (sometimes not even hunting Sinos) with chitin in my 0 slot. I see the hearts, and the first thing I do is stop moving, crouch and wait for it to come. When it flies off I stand up and go after it. Depending on how far it is going I run sometimes, but I do have some movement speed so go a bit faster than default by walking. When I start to see it turn I stop, crouch, and crawl along towards it until its hearts show, and I keep crawling until it is in front of me. If it flies into a rock side and gets stuck I crawl upto it and wait, it soon gets free and shows hearts. Never had any issues with taming them or their effectiveness. The only issue I ever had was having it fly in the area of a Rex that was eating stuff, so required some skilled maneuvering on my part. 😆

Ok, so here is a video close to what I can showcase of whats happening. All this time I thought we was supposed to stay put and never move towards them. It seems anytime I do, it ends badly and not from other dinos.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1253668485?t=0h44m23s

I screwed up my microphone settings but for the most part: I think Im supposed to stand here and let it come back to me, it never comes back, Ill have to chase it and this is when it gets mad at me, ok screw it Im gonna give chase, ok it came back for seconds, that wasn't too baaaaand there goes the taming efficiency. {time stamp 50:55} Ill never be able to tame it now. Ok, lets do this lvl 90, this time Im gonna trap it, crap it got out of the trap, ill try that again, boom profit.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Ok, so here is a video close to what I can showcase of whats happening. All this time I thought we was supposed to stay put and never move towards them. It seems anytime I do, it ends badly and not from other dinos.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1253668485?t=0h44m23s

I screwed up my microphone settings but for the most part: I think Im supposed to stand here and let it come back to me, it never comes back, Ill have to chase it and this is when it gets mad at me, ok screw it Im gonna give chase, ok it came back for seconds, that wasn't too baaaaand there goes the taming efficiency. {time stamp 50:55} Ill never be able to tame it now. Ok, lets do this lvl 90, this time Im gonna trap it, crap it got out of the trap, ill try that again, boom profit.

LMAO of course you go after it, but before you get too close you should be crouching.

When it lands on the ground and starts hopping towards you, you can walk crouched towards it. It's all about crouching, but you definitely need to go after it when it flies away.

No need for silly traps.

1 hour ago, GP said:

LMAO of course you go after it, but before you get too close you should be crouching.

When it lands on the ground and starts hopping towards you, you can walk crouched towards it. It's all about crouching, but you definitely need to go after it when it flies away.

No need for silly traps.

Fair enough on the crouching, but I swear I have tried to do that and it freaked out as soon as it seen me and I was still accidentally crouch walking towards....pre taming. Ill have another go at it later and see if I can do it any better, or if something causes it to spook again.

The biggest problem is if you spook them one or two times, they will start to starve to death, and as soon as their food stat goes half way, the will loose taming effectiveness too quickly to recover from. Add to the the people who are to scared to "run them down" and accidentally spooking them off once or twice, and its like all your efforts are absolutely wasted. Oh and if it ever gets stuck in a tree whiles its trying to come back to you......yeah, it can drive a person mental if they don't know what they can or can't get away with. And this is "WITH" the Christmas boosted taming rates.

And hey, the fact that humans are capable of thinking in different ways to accomplish the same goal doesn't make it silly. :P 

Honestly they are a breeze to tame, It's simple, never walk forward when within 35 meters of them follow from about 40-50 meters. They only get scared when you walk forward when too close (under 35 meters), they never scare if you walk backwards. Best place to tame them is in that ravine with the river that leads to the sea. (roughly 58 latitude 50 longitude.) The hardest part about taming them is finding a good level in a good spot. Do NOT try to tame the ones on top of the leech lakes. Also to prevent scaring, try not feeding them when other dinos are nearby (walk backwards after you see hearts and everything should be fine, stop when there are no dinos next to you to scare them.) Stand still, wait for them to walk to you, then crouch to feed them, rinse and repeat. If you scare them too many times they will keep running and be even more skittish. 

• Volunteer Moderator

I even had one really strange experience the other week.....

There I was with a Sino on my shoulder (which is a permanent feature now), I was not far from my base farming wood/stone etc. Suddenly I see hearts up above. Instantly I saw a Sino coming towards me, first thing I did was crouch, then unequipped my tool. As it hopped it's little self towards me and sat in front of my with love eyes, I realised I had no Chitin in my 0 slot, or in my inventory.

I thought this was odd, because there was no Chitin on me, not armour with Chitin, and I checked my Sino's inventory and it had no Chitin in it. So no Chitin whatsoever, yet the Sino fell in love with me and came over.

Here's the funny part....

Whilst crouched, I crawled all the way back to my base whilst the wild Sino hopped along and followed me. I was then able to grab some Chitin out of my storage and feed it. Because it was low level and we were on Xmas rates it only took 1 Chitin to tame.

But the interesting part was its attraction to me and following me with no Chitin in existence. No idea if it was anything to do with having another Sino on my shoulder.... maybe it fell in love with that one! 😘

On 12/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, Shalost76 said:

I have tamed two of them before the server crashes every five minutes.

But I have tried to tame this dino 5 or 6 times more and it not worked. The dino was bugged, flying over my head quickly forever.

I tamed few Sinomacrops, even a 145 but after some days we found bunch of lvl 150 and we couldn't tame them they either kept flying, or food droping and not going up or not droping at all and not letting feed, honestly lost my patience already xd

On 1/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, GP said:

But the interesting part was its attraction to me and following me with no Chitin in existence. No idea if it was anything to do with having another Sino on my shoulder.... maybe it fell in love with that one! 😘

I have had this all the time during my times in Sinomacrops area. I was always like, aww damn, no chitin on me. I didnt even realize they SHOULD only come towrds you when you have chitin on you. Maybe carrying any chitin isnt a prerequiste for it targeting players to initiate a taming proces? How did people came to the conclusion, slotting, or carrying chitin is a prerequiste for initiating a taming proces? 

40 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

I have had this all the time during my times in Sinomacrops area. I was always like, aww damn, no chitin on me. I didnt even realize they SHOULD only come towrds you when you have chitin on you. Maybe carrying any chitin isnt a prerequiste for it targeting players to initiate a taming proces? How did people came to the conclusion, slotting, or carrying chitin is a prerequiste for initiating a taming proces? 

the dossier that was created before the creature was put into the game motioned chitin......other than that youtube. At lest it was on my part, I like to keep an eye on Raasclark, Teachers game too, and Nooblets.....nooblets is the most straight foreword in my opinion.

Just tamed 3 low levels. No traps. In the trench near green. Dont have any pets near you, dont move, never run, look for them to land again, too far? (30m+) strafe towards them, never run, when close enough -30m, stay in LOS, dont crouch, dont move, when they are on the ground, when they show heart, dont move, wait for them to come.
Trying to upload a video, but youtube wont let me (too long) Too big to upload to other websites (3gb), too big to compress online... 2022... Pfff.....

The problem I've run into with high levels lately isn't bugs or glitches, its that something always seems to interfere with the taming process before I can get it to 100%.

I did manage a 130 yesterday but I've failed many many times before that because inevitably a dino will come along to attack me or the Sino during one of the 11 or so feeds it takes to tame.

Would really love to be able to use kibble to cut the # of feeds down. Feel like that would lead to a much higher rate of success. 

After taming a handful, here is what I have noticed:

It is pretty consistent with taming anything in Ark - you seem to see them around all the time when not looking for them and struggle to find them when you are desperate to tame one. 

It is easy to stay prepped for taming them when the situation arises because all you need is a stack of chitin.  So don't look for them: just avoid equipping chitin armor in the places they spawn and always walk around with a stack on you ready to go when the situation presents itself to you.  Worth noting: I tried the trap-trick as seen on youtube with the wood sign and torches - it works great so long as you learn to position the sign correctly, but you then need more gear to always travel with.

Since I have stopped looking for them but with chitin ready to go, I have tamed a good half dozen: most high level.  I will do something similar with most non-taming tasks or adventures:  I will put a longneck, darts and kibble on an owl when I travel around: if I happen to see something high-level that I might be interested in later, I will seize the opportunity and bag it.  

Archived