Sinomacrops taming nightmares

JetJaguar

is it just me or are these bugged as all hell? I watched videos on taming these and yet:

• 50% of the time, it will fly back to me if Im within 100 yards of it. The other 50% it just starts dropping taming effectiveness. Ive tried: backing further way which does nothing to stop it from going to 0.0% effectiveness. Ran closer to it only to have it run away and goto 0.0% effectiveness.
  • Ive stood for like 20-30 mins in a spot with a ton of them to watch as none landed by me. Just flew around or went further and further away.
  • Had them bolt of scared for no reason, at 80 yards, and then eventually drop the taming effectiveness..

It makes no sense...

9 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

is it just me or are these bugged as all hell? I watched videos on taming these and yet:

• 50% of the time, it will fly back to me if Im within 100 yards of it. The other 50% it just starts dropping taming effectiveness. Ive tried: backing further way which does nothing to stop it from going to 0.0% effectiveness. Ran closer to it only to have it run away and goto 0.0% effectiveness.
  • Ive stood for like 20-30 mins in a spot with a ton of them to watch as none landed by me. Just flew around or went further and further away.
  • Had them bolt of scared for no reason, at 80 yards, and then eventually drop the taming effectiveness..

It makes no sense...

I absolutely had the same issue. I spent 4 hours trying to get one, 4 hours!!!! I finally succumbed to the standing torches and a wooden sign trick. =/

I can't place the standing torches or wooden sigh close enough to trap it. They are obstructed. I managed to trap one between two cages and not get the needs to be outside message, but then it never got the hearts and just kept flying.

Doing it the 'proper' way, I managed to tame a lv 15... But the rest ends with it losing taming or dieing from starvation.

The only thing I can say is that if it sees you moving towards it, even once, it's over and your back to taming dropping slowly to zero. Even if that movement is cause by some passing Dino pushing you forward. And when it's see's you it will bolt 

I'm staying greater than 50m and less than 100m.

Sometime it just gets stuck flying into a wall until it's starts loosing taming.

I'm just going to tame another LV 15 of the opposite sex and breed them. The taming mechanic is to time consuming.

I got a lv 90 to 30% in a narrow valley before a stego bumped me towards it.

Highest I've tamed is a level 90. When you pump them with stamina they can travel forever. Such a great useful lil pet.

... but I agree that they do seem bugged. I have no idea what the sweet spot is in terms of how far or close to be to them while taming. It's just guess work really.

For that reason I usually feed like 3 or 4 at a time and just tame whichever one doesnt bug out or lose effectiveness.

There's a big canyon with a river running through it by green ob that is absolutely teeming with sinos. All you have to do is put chitin in your hotbar and they will come up to you in droves. Then just feed em all and hope one makes it all the way through the process.

for once i had a different experience than you, managed to tamed half a dozen of them without too much problem now with the 3x taming speed it is fast ,

took me 10 chitin to tame a 145, the first atemps failed because i got too close but then after it reset, i fed him the 10 chitin without problem, for me what works is trying to stay between 40 and 50 meters away and once you see the heart animation don,t move and let it come to you

1 hour ago, St1ckyBandit said:

When you pump them with stamina they can travel forever. Such a great useful lil pet.

yep i put points in stamina and weight ,sinomacrop should be one of the first dino you tame on a fresh start, with their reduced weight and fly ability you can easily escape any dangerous encounter 

1 hour ago, L4D2 said:

yep i put points in stamina and weight ,sinomacrop should be one of the first dino you tame on a fresh start, with their reduced weight and fly ability you can easily escape any dangerous encounter 

Yeah the 50% weight reduction is very useful.

I find it hilarious when I'm walking through the forest and all of a sudden my sino randomly scares a couple bugs, killing them. It's pest protection ability is such a great quality of life addition to the game. 10/10 creature. 

2 hours ago, L4D2 said:

been using mine to hop off and on my argy during the metal runs, its a bit of a trick to get it just right, but between four heavy lifters and a little glider, Iv been able to harvest enough metal for an indy forge, chem bench, 5 vaults, 1 egg incubator, a metal cliff platform, and working on the indy cooker now. Not gonna lie, its kinda nice to be able to get back without having to stop metal harvesting just cause of weight limits.

49 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Yeah the 50% weight reduction is very useful.

I find it hilarious when I'm walking through the forest and all of a sudden my sino randomly scares a couple bugs, killing them. It's pest protection ability is such a great quality of life addition to the game. 10/10 creature. 

they can kill the bugs? Iv used it before on cave bats, and seen the green numbers pop up, but never knew it was cause of my sino

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

they can kill the bugs? Iv used it before on cave bats, and seen the green numbers pop up, but never knew it was cause of my sino

Yup mine kills ants and dragonflies all the time with around 225% melee damage. I bet if you got a high level and pumped some melee it could probably take out pegos and seagulls too.

Even when we find a sinomacrops and it makes hearts and lands to be fed, and we have chitin in the hotbar 0 slot, there's no option to feed them. The "press E to feed chitin" message does not appear. We aren't using any kind of trap or anything. The sino will sit there for quite a while, and we've tried circling around it to get different angles, but no one on my server has been able to feed one.

I tested in single player and did NOT have this issue, even with all the same mods enabled, so I don't think it's a mod conflict.

Would love to hear if anyone has a fix or even a theory about what's causing this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated---thanks!

UPDATE: We are now able to feed them. I have no idea what changed, but that part is working now. We haven't successfully tamed any yet, for all the reasons discussed in other threads. I don't know if this taming mechanic is broken or if it's just intended to be very, very difficult. Either way, I think we're going to try taming them a different way with the Immersive Taming mod. Best of luck to everyone!

A few hours ago we were trying with my girlfriend and we could feed them without problem, but they are still broken. Those of the highest level usually past 50% taming freak out and leave indefinitely, no matter you do everything right.
We were only able to tame 3 a few weeks ago with no issues and now getting a high lvl is irritating.
When the rates go back to 1x this is going to be crazy.

BTW... I play on official legacy servers. 

UPDATE: We are now able to feed them. I have no idea what changed, but that part is working now. We haven't successfully tamed any yet, for all the reasons discussed in other threads. I don't know if this taming mechanic is broken or if it's just intended to be very, very difficult. Either way, I think we're going to try taming them a different way with the Immersive Taming mod. Best of luck to everyone!

On 12/26/2021 at 9:28 PM, JetJaguar said:

See my Sino thread. Ive had that happen a number of times as well. Its a very well balanced and thought out tame...

I agree.  For as OP as it is, it should be a pain to get one.  Juice is worth the squeeze.  

I've had a couple that were absolutely nightmarish to tame (my 168, ugh) and got lucky with another one (a trash male so I could breed the PITA 168).  If you can get one stuck against a cliff you are in luck.  

I can't wait to take one into the Tek cave.

Archived