Friend Cannot Join my Modded Non-Dedicated Server

Gawdziller1954

So my friend and I wanted to play some ark with a modded non-dedicated server. However he could not find my server or join mine once I had created it. He cannot join my game from steam via his friends list. Is there a way for him to join the server? Or can you not join a modded non-dedicated at all?? We were looking forward to getting back into the swing of things at our own pace. I would find it odd if they had the ability to add mods to Non-dedicated if people other than you could not join. I cannot see ANY non-dedicated servers with mods, at all. Is there a way for this to be fixed? I am on PC.

1 hour ago, DirkInSA said:

you have to get your port forwarding OK through your firewall/router to do non dedicated servers open to the internet ... Lots of posts & tips around that out there.

Ah, OK. I was thinking it may be on our end due to us not seeing any modded non-dedicated servers and only seeing 49 of them total but this may be a thing.

12 hours ago, Gawdziller1954 said:

Another thing, are there any hazards associated with port forwarding ark?

Not huge - there is of course always a risk when opening ports - but I have not seen any documented attack vectors that target the steam engine (which is what does the network handling for you). And steam is OFTEN updated - so I deem the risk to be minimal.

Having said that I don't run like you are proposing, I have a separate old laptop running my (dedicated) server(s) and do not port forward to my main machine, so you would be one step closer to an internet attack through those ports than I am .... But still - minimal risk in my opinion.

Just now, DirkInSA said:

Not huge - there is of course always a risk when opening ports - but I have not seen any documented attack vectors that target the steam engine (which is what does the network handling for you). And steam is OFTEN updated - so I deem the risk to be minimal.

Having said that I don't run like you are proposing, I have a separate old laptop running my (dedicated) server(s) and do not port forward to my main machine, so you would be one step closer to an internet attack through those ports than I am .... But still - minimal risk in my opinion.

Ah, alright.

Your sight of seeing non-dedicated servers may be because not many peeps run such a thing? With non-dedicated players are "tied" to a certain distance from the hosting character - so I would guess that not many people go and stay down that road. FYI I just done a browse of non dedicated servers through Ark and also see 12 servers only!

13 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Your sight of seeing non-dedicated servers may be because not many peeps run such a thing? With non-dedicated players are "tied" to a certain distance from the hosting character - so I would guess that not many people go and stay down that road. FYI I just done a browse of non dedicated servers through Ark and also see 12 servers only!

gawddamn, 12 servers...so there really must NOT be people running modded ND servers. Incredible. Thanks for 3rd party info-appreciate it.

Archived