PALAEOPHIS - sea serpents of Fjordur

Palaeonaut

Suggestion

Palaeophis - the giant sea snake 

lurking just below the surface of the waters of Fjordur resides tales of sea serpents, thought to be legends of old, but these are not mere tales of mad men with sea sickness, they are actually giant prehistoric sea snakes that have survived eons, always looking and waiting for their next meal.

Wild: in the wild you can find palaeophis usually swimming in the open seas. They are usually temper mental when someone is in their territory, so it's wise to give them a wide birth. Otherwise you may become their next meal by wrapping their long serpentine body around you and secrete a highly toxic venom that they have evolved to help take down their favourite meal, eels. 

Tame: once tamed these sea serpents will help aid you through the treacherous waters of Fjordur. Able to grab enemies by wrapping itself around them, it's sure to dispatch foes quickly with their powerful venom that they have evolved to take down their favourite food, which are eels that have also evolved to withstand the snakes venom, they are at an evolutionary arms race with each other. 

So my idea is that they are passive tames where you have to kill and feed them eels but since they are aggressive you can only do it from behind. That or maybe just knock out tame and biotoxin as their kibble or something similar to the acro from ark additions where you have to shoot it and feed it biotoxin. 
I was also thinking they can deal extra damage to those pesky eels and immune to being grabbed by squids. 
Thanks to anyone reading and voting for my suggestion. I know I'm late so don't expect this to win but wanted to throw this out there. 

tameable: yes

rideable: yes

breedable: yes

edit: I also think this creature should be able to go on land but make slow like the opposite of a basilisk. 

531B5484-7343-4425-8F09-7702B262D83F.jpeg

Edited by Palaeonaut

10 replies to this server topic

Upvote confirmed - this is actually a "real" prehistoric animal with evidence in the fossil record that is consistent with some of what is described.

Sadly, this is competing with a couple of high-vote submissions that are almost entirely fantasy creatures but got a pass from the moderators because they were listed under a name that is in the fossil record.

2 minutes ago, Palaeonaut said:

Thank you. Which submissions are you referring too? 

In my opinion, the "sky-giga" bug and the "wrecking-ball" Armadillosuchus are so wildly different from the real creatures with the same name that they are fantasy creatures.  They only seemed to have passed the real test by having a real name.  The author of Armadillosuchus even openly admitted so.  I think the giant vampire bat is pretty close to being on the line of a fantasy idea: what is proposed is magnitudes different in size as to be a completely different creature.  I know that Ark does this with a few creatures, but not many are grown to the extreme proportions in that idea.  Again, just opinions: some of us read the part about the idea being a real creature and would prefer that the winner passes that test to some reasonable degree.  Not just for the sake of it, but some like to have a little more science in their science fiction.

Yeah I had a feeling you were referring to the “sky-giga” and I never looked into the armadillosuchus but I did vote for the bat, just because I would like a ride-able bat, even if it's a bit exaggerated. I see where you're coming from and I think I did the opposite of what those guys did, instead of passing fantasy creatures off as “real” I made a real world snake sound like a fantasy creature. Haha