Remove the in game shop for Ark 2.

Logan96

One of my primary concerns for ark 2 will be the allocation of resources and supplies. On the island, scorched earth and abberation maps players had to grind out certain materials. In the genesis maps we have this in game shop that allows you to buy all sorts of materials/gear, which honestly just feels broken. Go watch HOD and see his guide to get from level 1-100. It is a very un-natural progression and involves frequently server hopping and buying gear from the gensis shop. 

Part of the fun in a game like this is establishing a base that takes resources, water/food and defensibility all into account. I'm afraid that if this ingame shop continues to expand it could damper the entire survival experience. Just my two cents on the matter... 

• Logan96 changed the title to Remove the in game shop for Ark 2.

Expansion packs are not historically considered pay to win, that would be more like having a cash shop that allows you to buy end game gear or a 100% damage booster for 3 hours or the like. Actually, just F (real money) cash shops.
Personally, I hope they do restrict the capacity to ride expansion dinos to own that expansion because it will allow them to provide the capacity to manufacture expansion items across the many maps without worrying about demonetizing their present content (like has happened in ark one, hence why sand is only on scorched, fungel wood on abb etc). Then we could see more progress and content interweaving between expansions (like we could have had tamable rock dracks on other maps etc).
But then, I also hope hope they have the maps progress from one to the other with increasing difficulty and expectations that you've played on the ones that came before it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, VidarFeral said:

Expansion packs are not historically considered pay to win, that would be more like having a cash shop that allows you to buy end game gear or a 100% damage booster for 3 hours or the like. Actually, just F (real money) cash shops.
Personally, I hope they do restrict the capacity to ride expansion dinos to own that expansion because it will allow them to provide the capacity to manufacture expansion items across the many maps without worrying about demonetizing their present content (like has happened in ark one, hence why sand is only on scorched, fungal wood on abb etc). Then we could see more progress and content interweaving between expansions (like we could have had tamable rock drakes on other maps etc).
But then, I also hope hope they have the maps progress from one to the other with increasing difficulty and expectations that you've played on the ones that came before it.

bruh you do realize that the free maps of Rag and Val have sand and fungal wood right? and IIRC so does crystal isles for fungal wood and sand also the devs are not gonna restrict the expansion dinos to be ridden by those who only own the expansion, they want every player to have the ability to enjoy the dinos even if they don't own the expansion, that's why there's trading between tribes and players, that will always be the norm for ark 1 or ark 2

On 12/24/2021 at 1:06 PM, Vegeta71 said:

they want every player to have the ability to enjoy the dinos even if they don't own the expansion, that's why there's trading between tribes and players

Except some key elements are only accesible/usable if you own the DLC, no matter who gave or sold it to you.
Genesis DLC is kind of Pay to Win.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, MMaas said:

Except some key elements are only accessible/usable if you own the DLC, no matter who gave or sold it to you.
Genesis DLC is kind of Pay to Win.

no its not pay to win bruh and the certain key elements your more than likely talking about is bosses and tek tier which they have diversified among the free maps except for aberration and the tek sleeping pod and probably a few other pieces but i'm sure they will add those to free maps coming soon further along next year or so, probably the viking map.

2 minutes ago, Vegeta71 said:

no its not pay to win bruh and the certain key elements your more than likely talking about is bosses and tek tier which they have diversified among the free maps except for aberration and the tek sleeping pod and probably a few other pieces but i'm sure they will add those to free maps coming soon further along next year or so, probably the viking map.

It's ok not to have problems with pay to win but it still is pay to gain an advantage over people who did not buy in.
"Coming soon ... probably" 1 or 2 years later makes it still pay to win today.

8 hours ago, MMaas said:

It's ok not to have problems with pay to win but it still is pay to gain an advantage over people who did not buy in.
"Coming soon ... probably" 1 or 2 years later makes it still pay to win today.

Honestly, its totally not pay to win AT ALL.
Its pretty much the same as not choosing to buy an Expansion Pack for lets say World of Warcraft.
You don't get to enjoy most of the new stuff, apart from stuff released in pre-expansion patch.
The whole ARK DLC bit is EXACTLY the same, you want new content that costed resources to make, you pay for it.
Its not like this whole thing really makes you get anything "new", its only a shop using currency earned in Gen 1 and 2.
All stuff in that shop are resources you can harvest or make FOR FREE, so there is NOTHING about it that is Pay to Win.
And another fact that makes it NOT pay to win, there is NOTHING inside that shop that costs REAL MONEY, its only the DLC Content itself that requires money to buy.

One of my primary concerns for ark 2 will be the allocation of resources and supplies. On the island, scorched earth and abberation maps players had to grind out certain materials. In the genesis maps we have this in game shop that allows you to buy all sorts of materials/gear, which honestly just feels broken. Go watch HOD and see his guide to get from level 1-100. It is a very un-natural progression and involves frequently server hopping and buying gear from the gensis shop. 

Part of the fun in a game like this is establishing a base that takes resources, water/food and defensibility all into account. I'm afraid that if this ingame shop continues to expand it could damper the entire survival experience. Just my two cents on the matter... 

That guide is not representative for how to play ARK for everyone, he chooses to do it that way and its not required to server hop constant.
He just chooses to go buy "resources" from that shop, as for as far as I remember there is not much of gear in there.
You can still choose to farm resources and craft everything, you are not REQUIRED to use the shop AT ALL.

19 hours ago, TheSlayerNL said:

Honestly, its totally not pay to win AT ALL.
Its pretty much the same as not choosing to buy an Expansion Pack for lets say World of Warcraft.
You don't get to enjoy most of the new stuff, apart from stuff released in pre-expansion patch.
The whole ARK DLC bit is EXACTLY the same, you want new content that costed resources to make, you pay for it.
Its not like this whole thing really makes you get anything "new", its only a shop using currency earned in Gen 1 and 2.
All stuff in that shop are resources you can harvest or make FOR FREE, so there is NOTHING about it that is Pay to Win.
And another fact that makes it NOT pay to win, there is NOTHING inside that shop that costs REAL MONEY, its only the DLC Content itself that requires money to buy.

Except there is a competative PvP component in ARK with no option to play on a level playingfield on official, unless you get a private server. If the DLC items were bound to their specific DLC maps without transfering to standard- and free official maps you would have been absolutely right. For those who do not care about the competative advantage it they could create a new server cluster, like "legacy" or "offlineraidprotection".

Also "nothing in shop cost real money, except the DLC to acces it"... Contradiction my friend ;)

46 minutes ago, MMaas said:

Except there is a competative PvP component in ARK with no option to play on a level playingfield on official, unless you get a private server. If the DLC items were bound to their specific DLC maps without transfering to standard- and free official maps you would have been absolutely right. For those who do not care about the competative advantage it they could create a new server cluster, like "legacy" or "offlineraidprotection".

Also "nothing in shop cost real money, except the DLC to acces it"... Contradiction my friend ;)

It still is not imo Pay to Win, as many games with DLC or Expansion Packs have this same thing.
I don't really play ARK PvP much, let alone Official Servers, but I still do not see a Pay to Win aspect in it, not in the form that is commonly known in the gaming world.
While inconvenient and annoying, its not the same.

Archived