Possible Live Action Movie(s) Based on Ark

Joebl0w13

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Doug Kennedy (founder of Studio Wildcard) discusses the possibility of producing three, live action movies starring Vin Diesel.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKb-xDoSGv4
Around the 8:20 mark of the interview.

I heard from raasclark on this one, there is defiantly some potential on this, some real potential! However attempting to adapt a game to the big screen always has been a bit of a tricky mistress. Since ark is mainly a survival first, then lore later type of game, it needs to stay that way to get an audience going in my opinion....Maybe vin wakes up like we do on the beach is confused, without tools, alone. He doesn't understand whats going on, encounters a beast and either has to run or fight to survive, then realizes he needs to work with the extreme basics.....Starting a fire, making tools from stone and stick, killing a dodo for food. Then building the story off from there.

Throwing him straight into a village of survivors with easy food, guns, ect. ect. would hinder the whole feel of what ark really is, it would be a movie without the games feel or struggle.

P.s. Also, a joebl0w13post?!?!?!!! Im shocked! 😮 

• Volunteer Moderator
54 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

Hopefully they will ignore the current Hollywood standard and start with a good script, good characters and good dialogue.  I don't think it is likely, but just the nature of it being plausible gives me a little bit of hope.

Well it is interesting that the A-list actors agreed to do the animated series based on liking the script. So there's hope.

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

I was in theaters for the first mario movie back in the day.....As a stand alone, it was just interesting. Not great, but not bad. However as a throw back to the plumber brothers of 8 bit.....wat da fug???? XD

We the interesting thing here is we've haven't actually seen most of the characters they are going to use in the movies. We've not played them as well. We've only ready stories about them in the notes.

So that gives them a lot of creative room to build a story not based on the game mechanics but the characters themselves. Gives them a lot of room to move. I don't expect they will stick too close to what's in the notes either. I just want a good script and good dialogue. The setting is already interesting.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

What worries me is the following: even with an interesting setting and a wealth of rich canon, a major studio with all of the talent and money in the world can throw everything they have into a movie and still struggle to make a good Star Wars film. 

Too true.

13 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

We the interesting thing here is we've haven't actually seen most of the characters they are going to use in the movies. We've not played them as well. We've only ready stories about them in the notes.

So that gives them a lot of creative room to build a story not based on the game mechanics but the characters themselves. Gives them a lot of room to move. I don't expect they will stick too close to what's in the notes either. I just want a good script and good dialogue. The setting is already interesting.

absolutely agree. We have the settings and landscape. Even a bit of the lore of whats going on, and while I have been noticing the Santiago notes more here as of late, I must say even notes don't explain the whole story, or the deep emotions. I have to admit, of all the games turned movies, this one has some great potential. Its not a tight alleyway with a one way sign pointed on it, there is a lot of wiggle room for things to change, yet still hold true.

And I absolutely agree......the script, dialogue, the pace......its got to be done right. The stage is allready perfect, its the performance thats going to make or break the film. 🤞

World of Warcraft is one of my favorite games of all time, but that live action movie....just crap, it doesn't matter how much lore or fantastic settings they already have its all about a comprehensive script that the fans will actually like but at the same time be interesting enough to garner views from non fans.  Seems like a dumb idea, release the animated show first if it receives a good review then look into a live action.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

World of Warcraft is one of my favorite games of all time, but that live action movie....just crap, it doesn't matter how much lore or fantastic settings they already have its all about a comprehensive script that the fans will actually like but at the same time be interesting enough to garner views from non fans.  Seems like a dumb idea, release the animated show first if it receives a good review then look into a live action.

The WoW movie was pretty bad. After years of wanting to see one it was a letdown. 

Let's wait and see how the Ark animated series fares... We should walk before we can run.

I mean, there was nothing produced in the past 3 years that caught my eyes, it was all very... average and / or weak writing. I call this phase the "check box writing". This was until Arcane, I mean I am no huge fan of League of Legends, but I totally loved this series, really impressive characters, story and setting... Not to mention that it's an art project too, I have never seen anything like it before. This show has rekindled my interest in a more passive entertainment medium, because darn it was boring until Arcane.

As a monster hunter fan, I knew I had to skip that live action movie, which I did and friends tell me I have not missed anything. Saved by my gut feeling! lol!

The problem with movies is that they always target their audience, not us... Movies based on books are not for the readers, it's for the majority of the audience that will never read said book. Same with games, it's not meant for gamers, sometimes you may get lucky, but it is more of chance than intentional.

• Volunteer Moderator
49 minutes ago, Martellus said:

The problem with movies is that they always target their audience, not us... Movies based on books are not for the readers, it's for the majority of the audience that will never read said book. Same with games, it's not meant for gamers, sometimes you may get lucky, but it is more of chance than intentional.

Spot on.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:42 PM, maxplanck58 said:

Hopefully they will ignore the current Hollywood standard and start with a good script, good characters and good dialogue.  I don't think it is likely, but just the nature of it being plausible gives me a little bit of hope.

Good grief, you sound like the old man who yells at kids to stay off his lawn. There have always been both good and bad movies, just like there are today. There is no "current Hollywood standard" of lower quality films, there have always been B-movies, low budget movies, poorly made movies, money grab movies. It's not like there's some magical past when all movies were good compared to today.

I mean, yes, we all hope it will be a good movie, because obviously. But this idea that the "current Hollywood standard" was better in the past than it is today is some pretty serious rose colored nostalgia.

Archived