Unable to play after patch: "You don't own this DLC"

dpatchery

My wife and I have been playing a scorched earth non-dedicated session on and off for a week or so. I host and she joins. Since the patch, she can no longer join my game at all. We're doing everything the same way we always have. But now it gives her the error "Network Failure Message - You don't own this DLC". We have tried verifying steam files (it found and repaired 2 resources on both of our machines), and tried joining from a different computer altogether, each time with the same results. Does anyone know a fix?

20211124123634_1.jpg

4 hours ago, dpatchery said:

3 hours ago, RB91 said:

3 hours ago, Sativa73 said:

There was a fix earlier today but the (dedicated) servers I use were very unstable for hours.
If the issues are not fixed with latest server updates, go to top of the screen and use "Support>Help" to create a ticket or use this link: https://support.survivetheark.com/

I was able to work around this by converting my non-dedicated server to a dedicated server. It was moderately annoying to do, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get my mods to work, but it is possible to keep your same game going this way. It should be easy enough to reverse the process (and maintain your progress) once this bug is fixed, so I guess that's what I'll do for now.

Here's what I did to convert our non-dedicated session to a dedicated server, for Steam/PC. You can start it up and shut it down as needed so it basically acts the same way. I can't explain why this bypasses the "You don't own this DLC" error, but it does!

1. Follow the instructions here to set up the dedicated server files and set up your firewall: https://www.bestarkhosting.com/guides/how-to-host-an-ark-dedicated-server/
    1. Specifically, the "Installing via the Steam UI" and "Firewall Configuration" sections. I didn't bother with the port forwarding since we play on the same network, but do that if you need to.
  2. Find the folder where your non-dedicated game files reside: Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame, and the folder where your dedicated server files will go: Steam\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\ShooterGame
  3. Copy over all of your mod files from Content/Mods (there should be folders and .mod files)
  4. Copy over all of your world state files - for me this was from Saved/ScorchedEarth_PSavedArksLocal and on the server side it goes in Saved/SavedArks
    1. Rename the LocalPlayer files to use your steam id instead. It's a 17-digit number, google how to find it if you need to.
  5. Copy Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor/GameUserSettings.ini over to Saved/Config/WindowsServer/

Once I did all that, I fired up the server and loaded up Ark. I found my server in the LAN dropdown. Everything was just as I had left it when I logged back in. There's probably some more work needed if your players are outside of your network but I'm sure there are guides out there.

I may just keep doing things this way forever, but if running the server gets annoying you should be able to reverse this process by doing steps 3, 4, and 5 in the other direction and then go back to using non-dedicated sessions.

Good luck everyone!

Archived