scout Myotragus - The Resource Scouting Companion

Suggestion

Introduction!

Hey all,

Welcome to my creature submission for Fjordur! You can read what I wrote below for the full Dossier text, along with some extra information, and a viewable Dossier that I myself along with two artists created! Credit largely goes to them :)

Myotragus Dossier Text

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

Utility

With the Dossier out of the way, let's get into the details of the Myotragus. This goat has the utility of 'sensing' resources, but also creatures in a given area. My pitch, is that the radius of this sensing ability can be extended via level-ups, or it could be tied to level in some way. Also, when a Myotragus spawns, it could work similar to the Gacha on Extinction, where it has special capabilities with a random set of resources. The gacha can create those resources, but the Myotragus can instead be able to sense them and carry them with weight reduction.

A list of resources may include the following:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

Then, the second utility ability of the Myotragus could be that it can similarly sense a random set of creatures, somewhat like the Parasaur but from a much greater distance, only sensing Wild creatures specifically. In my eyes, this can act like a vanilla replacement for mods like S+ that help you track down creatures by just typing their name in. The Myotragus instead can be a balanced approach to this. It would encourage taming lots of them if each one could have drastically different preferred creatures, perhaps 5-8. This way, if you wanted to find one creature or another, you would pick your tamed goat which is especially fond of that creature, and journey out into the lands of Fjordur.

Third, I would suggest that the Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, much like the Direwolf. Except instead, they could detect them from a much larger range. Perhaps tying into a level-up ability increasing the range? As a player who very much enjoys collecting notes for the satisfaction, having this creature on any other map would make it so much easier.

Lastly, Myotragus could be a second source of Mutton, as currently the Ovis is the only creature which can be harvested for such meat. That said, I would suggest making the yield from mutton far lower than Ovis, so that it still has dominance in the field of harvesting mutton. Perhaps for every 10 Raw Mutton an ovis grants, the Myo only gets 1-2. The following resources could be obtained from harvesting Myotragus:

• Raw Mutton
  • Hide
  • Pelt

Combat

The Myotragus is perhaps most comparable to the male Megaloceros, except both male and female Myotragus have horns. Beyond the sensing ability of the horns, they are also sharp and can deliver serious bleed damage to opponents. In the wild, Myotragus act similar to Pachycephalosaurus, where they will not attack unless provoked. Overall, nothing immensely special, but the Myotragus can deliver enough damage to defend itself and fight off any would-be attackers.

It could also be said that Myotragus get buffed when near the creatures that they have a fondness towards sensing / seeking, giving them an actual damage and resistance buff. Perhaps this could be applied for both wild and tamed creatures of the specific type that it likes.

Travel

Lastly, the goat can be great for traversal, and here's why! As shown in the Dossier, the suggested ability of Myotragus is to be able to walk up very steep surfaces. It does not have to be as extreme as the example shown on the left-hand side in verticality, but it could be comparable to the ability of the Tek Boots, allowing you to go up much steeper cliffs than most creatures, or than how you could as a Survivor on foot. Myotragus could have decent stamina, a fantastic and large jump-height (as seen in goats in the real world), and take far reduced, or perhaps no fall damage whatsoever.

Taming

Taming Myotragus is a somewhat difficult task, and requires a fairly wide variety of resources. First, survivors must drop a resource on the ground near Myotragus in order to test if their horns indicate that they are excited. After isolating which resource(s) do this, survivors can then drop the resource on the ground (much like with Gachas), which causes the Myotragus to get very excited, and pick up / carry the item, using its horns. After a certain amount of time, the Myotragus will feel like picking up more of its favorite resources, but if it is given the same one repeatedly, the taming effectiveness will go down.

Conclusion

I hope you like my pitch! Please upvote the Myotragus if this is a creature that appeals to you, and you want more unique mechanics! We don't quite have anything in the base game that can 'track down' specific resources or creatures like this, and so I'm really into this idea!

Edited by NeddyTheNoodle
Mutton Details
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 replies to this server topic

1 minute ago, Kazaanh said:

So far this creature sounds like it would put huge strain on server performance.

A radar to sense various resources.

A bigger radar that scans area to sense creature movement.

Assuming it would be used in PvP too, it could cause quite big lags. Especially in high populated servers.

Thanks for voicing your concerns!

You are misunderstanding exactly what it does, and the way that it does it. The Myotragus would have a 'set' number of resources that it is capable of sensing, per creature.

For example, one Myotragus may only be able to sense Metal, Obsidian, Green Gems, Blue Gems, and Fungal Wood,

While another Myotragus may only be able to sense Crystal, Red Gems, Silica Pearls, Black Pearls, and Sap.

Secondly, this radar alert could be intelligent enough to only light up an 'area' for the client, not just every single node in that area.

Lastly, as far as creatures go -- it would also only have a set number of creatures, and could ONLY track Wild ones. For example one Myotragus could be capable of sensing: Parasaurs, Direwolves, Castoroides, Pachys, and Trikes, while another could only sense: Rexes, Arthropleura, Mantis, Giganotosaurus, and Dodos. Because it is useful as a PvE tame, in scouting out wild creatures of these types to tame, I can't imagine it breaking server performance. It just simply wouldn't be used in PvP to sense tames, though I'm not completely closed off to that idea.

• Like 1

From the discord I saw the dossier, and immediately caught my attention. I'm giving you a vote because not only is an extinct goat unique (before non-educated idiots assume its just another Ovis), but I like the idea of it scouting for resources. 

One question is: would its horn grow continuously and be used as a keratin farm when you cut them off so they grow back?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheIronWolf45 said:

From the discord I saw the dossier, and immediately caught my attention. I'm giving you a vote because not only is an extinct goat unique (before non-educated idiots assume its just another Ovis), but I like the idea of it scouting for resources. 

One question is: would its horn grow continuously and be used as a keratin farm when you cut them off so they grow back?

That could be a fantastic idea, being able to cut the horns for a hefty 100 keratin or something, so it could be similar to the Ovis' renewable resource. Either that, or I was thinking that the male Myos could have larger horns than the females.

I think it's a pretty good suggestion, has good abilities, and it's fairly fitting for the map so I'll give it a vote. Even the dossier looks really official, so kudos to the artist. But most importantly, imagine climbing a mountain and getting knocked into oblivion by a steroid ovis. 

3 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Introduction!

Hey all,

Welcome to my creature submission for Fjordur! You can read what I wrote below for the full Dossier text, along with some extra information, and a viewable Dossier that I myself along with two artists created! Credit largely goes to them :)

Myotragus Dossier Text

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

Utility

With the Dossier out of the way, let's get into the details of the Myotragus. This goat has the utility of 'sensing' resources, but also creatures in a given area. My pitch, is that the radius of this sensing ability can be extended via level-ups, or it could be tied to level in some way. Also, when a Myotragus spawns, it could work similar to the Gacha on Extinction, where it has special capabilities with a random set of resources. The gacha can create those resources, but the Myotragus can instead be able to sense them and carry them with weight reduction.

A list of resources may include the following:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

Then, the second utility ability of the Myotragus could be that it can similarly sense a random set of creatures, somewhat like the Parasaur but from a much greater distance, only sensing Wild creatures specifically. In my eyes, this can act like a vanilla replacement for mods like S+ that help you track down creatures by just typing their name in. The Myotragus instead can be a balanced approach to this. It would encourage taming lots of them if each one could have drastically different preferred creatures, perhaps 5-8. This way, if you wanted to find one creature or another, you would pick your tamed goat which is especially fond of that creature, and journey out into the lands of Fjordur.

Third, I would suggest that the Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, much like the Direwolf. Except instead, they could detect them from a much larger range. Perhaps tying into a level-up ability increasing the range? As a player who very much enjoys collecting notes for the satsifaction, having this creature on any other map would make it so much easier.

Lastly, Myotragus could be a second source of Mutton, as currently the Ovis is the only creature which can be harvested for such meat. The following resources could be obtained from harvesting Myotragus:

• Raw Mutton
  • Hide
  • Pelt

Combat

The Myotragus is perhaps most comparable to the male Megaloceros, except both male and female Myotragus have horns. Beyond the sensing ability of the horns, they are also sharp and can deliver serious bleed damage to opponents. In the wild, Myotragus act similar to Pachycephalosaurus, where they will not attack unless provoked. Overall, nothing immensely special, but the Myotragus can deliver enough damage to defend itself and fight off any would-be attackers.

It could also be said that Myotragus get buffed when near the creatures that they have a fondness towards sensing / seeking, giving them an actual damage and resistance buff. Perhaps this could be applied for both wild and tamed creatures of the specific type that it likes.

Travel

Lastly, the goat can be great for traversal, and here's why! As shown in the Dossier, the suggested ability of Myotragus is to be able to walk up very steep surfaces. It does not have to be as extreme as the example shown on the left-hand side in verticality, but it could be comparable to the ability of the Tek Boots, allowing you to go up much steeper cliffs than most creatures, or than how you could as a Survivor on foot. Myotragus could have decent stamina, a fantastic and large jump-height (as seen in goats in the real world), and take far reduced, or perhaps no fall damage whatsoever.

Conclusion

I hope you like my pitch! Please upvote the Myotragus if this is a creature that appeals to you, and you want more unique mechanics! We don't quite have anything in the base game that can 'track down' specific resources like this, and I'm so into this idea!

This sounds like a great idea. It’s one of the few that are not “randomsaurus- something to d with gigas” or” randomsaurus-this random thing we never asked for.” It has a valuable use in PVE and is very unique, how ever there are something’s that don’t add up. I’m his creature requires the resource in its enventory to seek out this resource, that would mean you’ve already found some of this resource. Maybe this is useful in a new location and if ur in a new location you can go to the wiki and pull up a resource map. Would there be somthing new to make you value this over the wiki?

second, it allows you to search wild creatures, amazing idea. This will make it used a lot more than just the resources, I want to know, will it show us the levels of the creature it finds? Actually no don’t. That would replace the spyglass. Or actually maybe at a certain distance it would. Are you considering this or would this replace the spyglass? 

If  this gives mutton this means the goat has one-upped the ovis in about every eay possible except for wool. But I dont know of anyone tat uses wool as going into the arctic is alot easierthan gfetting obsidian for scissors. 

lastly do we have a taming method? For a creature as unique as this I beleive it should have an equally unique taming method. If you dont have anything in mind, I have an idea.

TAMING: 

moschops taming method means you would need to have already found the resource and would loop back to my first question so we would need something different. maybe you feed it cryopods of the creatures it likes (will request "cropoded dodo") This doesnt make another hazmat suit circle (need red gems to make gas collecter but red gems are in rad, so you need hazmat to get them) that feeding them resources would make. The goat will not spit the cryopod out. this way you dont just tame lvl 5s that you never planned to use. there is an actual sacrafice (other than food and arrows) put into thegoat. level of the creature sounds like a tough peice of code to install (im not a coder but taking the level from a creature THATS BEEN TURNED INTO AN ITEM and then factoring this into the taming effectivness of the item sounds hard) the creature itself determines the effectivness. considering the creature type is part of the icon of the cryopod, this might be easier. 

Edited by StrandedAndStoopid
  • Thanks 1

This submission is really well thought out!  I did have a question about sensing/finding.  Would they be like gachas, in that you can breed them and get a different selection of animals/resources on the babies, or would breeding just give a random combination of the parents?  Im honestly not quite sure which id prefer.  

• Like 1
Just now, Dinobros2000 said:

as for the liking creatures, maybe said creatures it like can buff its range on some things too? or buff it in other ways?

That sounds like a neat idea! I think having it be a beneficial companion to survivors in their taming and resource gathering adventures is what this thing is all about.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MazdaTiger said:

so a big Ovis

love ur pessimism buddy, you can turn a creature that literally revolutionises mutations by making CRISPR and say "it just raptor" DO YOU KNOW HOW TO READ! oh no you just look at the dossier and the familiy  its in and just say "it just ___"

just looked at your profile and lool. all you've done is give suggestions crap. the ONLY upvote/anything is you liking a pessimistic comment in the titanoceratops suggestion that said "it look like pachyrhino" you are the person people make memes about when they say the ark community is toxic. you're the one germ the "kills 99.9%" cleaners leave because even they don't want to touch you.

Edited by StrandedAndStoopid
  • Facepalm 1
1 hour ago, StrandedAndStoopid said:

This sounds like a great idea. It’s one of the few that are not “randomsaurus- something to d with gigas” or” randomsaurus-this random thing we never asked for.” It has a valuable use in PVE and is very unique, how ever there are something’s that don’t add up. I’m his creature requires the resource in its enventory to seek out this resource, that would mean you’ve already found some of this resource. Maybe this is useful in a new location and if ur in a new location you can go to the wiki and pull up a resource map. Would there be somthing new to make you value this over the wiki?

second, it allows you to search wild creatures, amazing idea. This will make it used a lot more than just the resources, I want to know, will it show us the levels of the creature it finds? Actually no don’t. That would replace the spyglass. Or actually maybe at a certain distance it would. Are you considering this or would this replace the spyglass? 

If  this gives mutton this means the goat has one-upped the ovis in about every eay possible except for wool. But I dont know of anyone tat uses wool as going into the arctic is alot easierthan gfetting obsidian for scissors. 

lastly do we have a taming method? For a creature as unique as this I beleive it should have an equally unique taming method. If you dont have anything in mind, I have an idea.

TAMING: 

moschops taming method means you would need to have already found the resource and would loop back to my first question so we would need something different. maybe you feed it cryopods of the creatures it likes (will request "cropoded dodo") This doesnt make another hazmat suit circle (need red gems to make gas collecter but red gems are in rad, so you need hazmat to get them) that feeding them resources would make. The goat will not spit the cryopod out. this way you dont just tame lvl 5s that you never planned to use. there is an actual sacrafice (other than food and arrows) put into thegoat. level of the creature sounds like a tough peice of code to install (im not a coder but taking the level from a creature THATS BEEN TURNED INTO AN ITEM and then factoring this into the taming effectivness of the item sounds hard) the creature itself determines the effectivness. considering the creature type is part of the icon of the cryopod, this might be easier. 

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback! I'll add a taming section to the page soon :)

I think this is a nice idea, but this thing is skyrocketing in votes and I'm afraid it's gonna throw my submission out the top 10 😅.

While I won't be mad if this ends up making the top, I'll only vote for it once I know for a fact Meiolania has been overthrown.

Edit: Nevermind about the "not voting until Meiolania loses" thing. This suggestion as a whole has a lot more effort put into it, and Meiolania's loss is kinda inevitable being stuck in 10th place. I hope this ends up making it into the finals!

Edited by AnkyWithNoBrim
  • Like 1

I love the creature so you get my vote, but I'm not 100% sold on the ability. Maybe due to it eating minerals the horns have metal properties so it could be refined in a forge and used as a chitin replacement and maybe they can act as a lightning rod, and being immune to lightning wyverns electricity. Maybe even storing electricity in its horns after getting hit by its breath or even a charge lantern for redistribution in its next attack. 

Edited by Nedrysdeadry