See you in a while Ark

panteni87

I've had my fun and i've had my frustrations both with the game and with players, but in the end it was a nice run. 
But everything comes to an end. 
But after losing everything AGAIN, and being forced to start over AGAIN, i'm just tired of it. I had just tamed the last gathering dino, we had just finished a massive double wall to really begin work on a nice base. And this morning i logged into the server (hosted by nitrado, i was the admin) and everything was gone. 
Well... it was a nice run, but i'm not going to be forced to start over for the 5th time, and find out that i have thrown away another 120 hours of my life. 

See you guys on release (in what... a year?)

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, panteni87 said:

I've had my fun and i've had my frustrations both with the game and with players, but in the end it was a nice run. 
But after losing everything AGAIN, and being forced to start over AGAIN, i'm just tired of it. I had just tamed the last gathering dino, we had just finished a massive double wall to really begin work on a nice base. And this morning i logged into the server (hosted by nitrado, i was the admin) and everything was gone. 
Well... it was a nice run, but i'm not going to be forced to start over for the 5th time, and find out that i have thrown away another 120 hours of my life. 

Did you try to do a roll back and restart the server?

Are you running any mods?

Or, did the server belong to someone else and they wiped it?

I really wish people would ask for details before deciding what the situation was. He just stated everything was gone, not why it was gone. While offline raiding is a strong possibility it isn't the only one. I would recommend however that you give it one more go before you quit. First ban the entire other tribe, second wipe the server. Then restart fresh and clean. If nothing else you'll at least have everyone restarting even. Also do it after the new patch comes out and set the server to refuse building in resource zones and let folks know you will tribe ban for offline raiding.

4 hours ago, Theocrates said:

I really wish people would ask for details before deciding what the situation was. He just stated everything was gone, not why it was gone. While offline raiding is a strong possibility it isn't the only one. I would recommend however that you give it one more go before you quit. First ban the entire other tribe, second wipe the server. Then restart fresh and clean. If nothing else you'll at least have everyone restarting even. Also do it after the new patch comes out and set the server to refuse building in resource zones and let folks know you will tribe ban for offline raiding.

There is a few facts that have escaped you @Theocrates;

• He was an admin, if it was against the server rules he could have taken action
  • If it was fair play, and if he abused his admin privledges, well he shouldn't be an admin
  • If it was in fair play, he shouldn't be on PvP if he gets sad when he gets killed. Everything is temporary on the Ark, think of it on loan, a high interest loan, reclaimable at any time.
  • If it wasn't anything to do with other players, and had to do with server issues, he could have just loaded from a backup.

You yourself have given him some obvious options to what he could do, but you yourself didn't ask if offline raiding wasn't allowed. If it was, your options were abusing privledges. Basically, you opened with "I wish people would ask for details", and then provided him with an answer for ONE potential situation.

Edit: This implies that it was the second dot point, that he was beaten by PvP peeps, and didn't want to admin command his stuff back.

9 hours ago, panteni87 said:

Can I have your things?

10 hours ago, panteni87 said:

why do people feel the need to come here and say bye? nobody cares

31 minutes ago, loops73 said:

why do people feel the need to come here and say bye? nobody cares

1)  Because maybe someone they know here will care, or they have been here long enough that they think, believe that someone will care.

2) To vent, to share what has them upset

3) Because they feel a connection to this forum, sort of a friendship, not close, but enough that they feel rude just walking out.  Like being at a party and leaving and not telling the host bye, thank you for inviting me. 

4) What ever they feel is the need to do so.

16 hours ago, panteni87 said:

Context on what "lost everything" means. But either way, see you. Knowing how the talons of ARK work, they'll drag you back in. Nobody ever leaves ARK forever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29-5-2016 at 9:09 PM, Rippy said:

Goodbye @panteni87, sounds like the PvP version of this game is not for you, especially if you are sad about only losing 120 hours of work. I suggest playing PvE from now on. Or having rules on your server that state no offline raiding, and you being an admin can enforce them.

I wish it was in PvP... no it is the worse of the options... somehow a corrupted file on the server. Even a rollback wasn't possible. And this wasn't the first time...
I haven't really played PvP, because, like you said, PvP isnt for me. But this was the straw the broke the camel's back. 

23 minutes ago, panteni87 said:

I wish it was in PvP... no it is the worse of the options... somehow a corrupted file on the server. Even a rollback wasn't possible. And this wasn't the first time...
I haven't really played PvP, because, like you said, PvP isnt for me. But this was the straw the broke the camel's back. 

Could be a blessing that this issue made the choice for you.

Take a break, seek professional help to cope with the newly acquired spare time ;) , and maybe come back one day when this game has evolved (much) further and has many more new stuff added to excite you again.

45 minutes ago, panteni87 said:

So was it effectively a private server for you and friends? Ie. Private but hosted on Nitrado? I'm just thinking that if it was and if you did still want to play then you could always just re spawn everything you lost.

Although the only safe way would be for you to actually own a server (whether that was hosted locally or online), so that you have access to the saves and can make back-ups. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, curiosity101 said:

So was it effectively a private server for you and friends? Ie. Private but hosted on Nitrado? I'm just thinking that if it was and if you did still want to play then you could always just re spawn everything you lost.

Although the only safe way would be for you to actually own a server (whether that was hosted locally or online), so that you have access to the saves and can make back-ups. 

If it is Nitrado, you have at least two methods for downloading and saving data to another source, including standard FTP.  I have actually taken the files from our Nitrado server, put them on my local machine, started up the game in Server mode and then logged in with the client, so that I could debug a conflict between a mod and a new vanilla item.

ETA:  Also, on Nitrado, it makes multiple backups; I don't remember the interval but I think it is every 3 or 4 hours.  You can do a roll back easily by selecting the backup on the settings panel, saving, and restarting the server.

4 hours ago, curiosity101 said:

It's a shame to lose everything due to computer/server issues. 

I also rent a private server. It gives me the options to back up data through them, but I also back up the files onto my own laptop before all the major updates.  I do the regular update, at least weekly, just in case.  I've never had to restore from a backup, but it's nice to have the option. 

Hopefully, the OP takes a break and comes back.  

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, FireStormRising said:

It's a shame to lose everything due to computer/server issues. 

I also rent a private server. It gives me the options to back up data through them, but I also back up the files onto my own laptop before all the major updates.  I do the regular update, at least weekly, just in case.  I've never had to restore from a backup, but it's nice to have the option. 

Hopefully, the OP takes a break and comes back.  

Only times I have had to do a roll back was because we had an error that corrupted the save file(memory issue) and when one of the large mods is updates, especially if it is more than one.  

Recent had to do that because the server started before it finished installing the mod, so items went poof; but did not catch it at first.  When you catch the issue, you just restart the server again and the issue usually fixes itself.  Going to add a mini admin base to the server that we can teleport into, that will be built out or contain mod items(and signage), so that we can tell if a mod did not load correctly.

On 5/29/2016 at 9:40 AM, panteni87 said:

I feel your frustration. Could you not use admin commands to help everyone recover? 

Archived