New install problems on Linux - game launch and freeze/quit

GuilhermeBCM

Hello,

I have just bought three Ark Survival Evolved copies on Steam, to play with my two boys.

One of the Ark Survival Evolved installations is not working and I need help to figure out why. The official support said "we do not have a Linux troubleshooting guide and will not be able to assist you anything further beyond our available troubleshooting guide. You can try posting your question on the official forums." so here I am.

Computerd running Ark fine are:
- Dell Inspiron 7572 (Intel i7-8550U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 16GB RAM, Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS x86_64, Kernel 5.11.0-38-generic) - runs natively and also Proton 6.3.7
- Acer A515-55G V1.13 (Intel i5-1035G1, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G1, NVIDIA GeForce MX350, 8GB RAM, Ubuntu 21.04 x86_64, Kernel 5.11.0-38-generic) - running natively and did not try anything else. I have just installed, fired it up, changed resolution to Full-HD and it was fine. My son played it the entire weekend without problems.

Computer not running Ark is:
- Acer A515-55G V1.13 (Intel i5-1035G1, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G1, NVIDIA GeForce MX350, 8GB RAM, Ubuntu 21.10 x86_64, Kernel 5.13.0-20-generic)

All computers have /home on SSD disks and more than 150GB free on /home after Ark installed.

Both Acer were identical and upgrading Ubuntu on the one not working was part of the tries to make it work, so they were prior to this identical except the usernames, but both users were the default settings from Ubuntu installation and can sudo.

Both Acers are running nvidia-driver-460 and I did try already on the one failling without success:
- switching to nvidia-driver-470 and xserver-xorg-video-noveau
- removed Ark completely and reinstall it
- tried with my account on my son computer
- removed Ark and Steam, deleted the directories, install Steam from flatpak (was apt before) and reinstall Ark from scratch.
- tried nativelly, Proton 6.3.7 and Proton experimental

On Proton, it does not launch at all. On native run, it opens to the first window, then I try Host/Solo and the music starts, the screen changes and it starts loading, but never finishes and eventually freezes or quits.

I have tried General Troubleshooting trying it the equivalent Linux way, but no success.
I could not find any log (tried "find -iname '*.log'" in the game directory), and I am not sure it writes some config file anywhere outside the game directory that is messing it up.

Basically I need help figuring out how to effectively figure out what the error is other than just clean and reinstall it. Something like "launch executable 'ARK --log /tmp/ark.log --debug' from shell and check /tmp/ark.log after game crash".

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Guilherme Monteiro

Hello,

I don't think it is related to kernel version, as the problem happened in previous Linux install and I and went through Ubuntu upgrades because of newer kernel, libs and drivers. One thing that intrigues me is the other identical laptop running it perfectly.

Well, debugging Steam+Ark is a total mess.

I did start Steam this way:

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

I have got some output and it actually generated a dump, but automatically upload it and delete it, so I can't look inside.

At some point, the game ends/freeze with Game process removed: AppID 346110 "/home/gustavo/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346110 -- '/home/gustavo/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGame'", ProcID 7906 

I am still stuck on this.

[]s!

Debug_Steam.txt

Archived