ExtraLife 2021 Recap!

StudioWildcard

ExtraLife21_PageHeader_2550x526-2550x526-89a3e0ab-5d72-4e8c-ac22-b3bc3a270b27.jpg

It's been another amazing year taking part in ExtraLife and raising money for kids in need!  During our annual 24-hour ExtraLife stream, the ARK Community raised a staggering $184,502!  The ARK community helped us reach new records this year.  The Studio Wildcard team was the #1 team for most of Game Day and the highest we've ever been before (previously #3)!  Additionally, we reached #2 on individual fundraising setting a new record for individual donations!

This seventh year of participating in GameDay with ExtraLife puts us well over $400K raised and we couldn't have done it without the ARK community!  We are grateful for our generous, supportive players, partners & sponsors, & the opportunity to help facilitate this endeavor.  Here's a recap of everything you may have missed during the 24-hour event!

sponsors.png

• AMD
  • Nvidia GeForce
  • Blue (Yeti)
  • Corsair
  • Elgato
  • Xbox
  • Discord
  • Nitrado
  • Grove Street Games

If you've won one of these amazing giveaways, please be patient!  We'll be in touch over the coming days!

topranking copy.png

• Syntac
  • ARK Charity giveaway
  • Phlinger Phoo
  • RoyaleWithCheese
  • Raasclark & Aaron Longstaff
  • Belle
  • Shockist
  • TELMO SAMPAIO
  • Ryan Chavez
  • Elite ARK
  • MIO ARK
  • NeddyTheNoodle
    View Full Team Roster

el_lostisland.png

The Lost Island free DLC map will be released on all platforms on December 14th, 2021!   Take a look at this Amargasaurus, Dinopithecus, and Sinomacrops spotlight we showed during the stream!

el_fjordur.png

Fjordur is a Nordic-inspired mod community map that will be coming to all platforms as free DLC in June 2022!

ARK_Fjordur_logo_2560x1440.jpgARK_Fjordur_screenshot_3_logo_comp.jpgARK_Fjordur_screenshot_4_logo_comp.jpgARK_Fjordur_screenshot_5_logo_comp.jpgARK_Fjordur_screenshot_8_logo_comp.jpg

andrewsarchus__.png

ARK_Fjordur_Dossier_Andrewsarchus.jpg

Andrewsarchus is one of the 3 creatures that will be released with Fjordur.  Want a chance in picking one of the other ones?  Check out our Creature Submission Forum for details on how to submit an entry!

el_hopsital.png

Kicking off the stream, we have a chat with a representative from the UF Health Shands Children Hospital about where the proceeds go.

interview_el.png

Cedric and Zane stop to chat with a representative from ExtraLife.

el_lxl.png

Alex Laurant, the Art Director for ARK 2, sits down with Cedric and  Zane for a chat.

el_jessegareth.png

Jesse and Gareth have an in-depth talk about ARK music composition and community favorites.

Here's a sneak preview from the 7 hours of original Gareth Coker music found in the ARK The Animated Series:

el_Clayton.png

Jesse interviews Clayton D'Mello, an artist on the Studio Wildcard team.

Clayton was given a unique challenge when Twitch chat was given the opportunity to direct Clayton's next creature design.  The chat was given options and Clayton drew live on stream!

el_claytonpt1_.png

el_claytonpt2_.png

el_steamdeck.png

Zane demos an early build of Lost Island on the Steam Deck

ARK: Survival Evolved is fully functional on Steam Proton, which means it'll work right out of the box if you're lucky enough to get your hands on a Steam Deck! It fully supports the expansions packs, free maps, and mods. As of this week we've also got it working with BattlEye which means you'll be able to play on Official Servers or other BattlEye supported servers.

Linux players can also get their hands on the Proton version by downloading the Steam Beta client and in ARK's steam game properties, make sure you've enabled "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", this will enable the use of Proton. In the future we'll be moving Proton to the default version of the Steam Game for Linux players, however we'll continue to support the native version which will be required for older hardware as Proton requirements are higher. At that time we'll provide further instructions on how you can switch to the native version, but for now it won't be necessary.

Thank you for helping us reach our goals and supporting a great cause!

The Studio Wildcard Team

View full article

I may have lost my gear, my podded tames, and items that were in my inventory, it was all worth it in the end. At the end of the day, money was raised for sick kiddos. And a surprising huge amount too.

I'm proud to have played Ark Official in it's glitchy state during a important annual event. 
Next year I'll start contributing to this noble cause. 

• Thanks 4

I am very happy for the kids and the amount raised but I am very disappointed with ark as a whole 1 the ended the event early and most Gen 2 servers have been and continues to be nearly unplayable, many of us were expecting fixes on the QOL update but only got nerfs. I and many others wonder if Ark 2 is going to be worthy of purchasing, I say no as you see on Gen 2 which is a dlc you purchase they have done nothing to rectify the situation 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, ChiefSmellsYou said:

400k earned,  When can we finnaly exspect an anti aimbot/godmode/meshed etc site? And may wipimg all official servers

I don't think they're gonna wipe all offi servers, that would just be dumb. As much as anti aimbot/godmode/meshing would be nice, it's also kinda impossible as people who have experience coding can just find weaknesses in the anti-cheat, then use that and make aimbots, godmode and new meshes. But you seem to be an expert on what the people want so ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joedeadpool said:

I am very happy for the kids and the amount raised but I am very disappointed with ark as a whole 1 the ended the event early and most Gen 2 servers have been and continues to be nearly unplayable, many of us were expecting fixes on the QOL update but only got nerfs. I and many others wonder if Ark 2 is going to be worthy of purchasing, I say no as you see on Gen 2 which is a dlc you purchase they have done nothing to rectify the situation 

Hey buddy. I'll do you a favor and respond man to man on a few of the points you seem to be mad about. I'd say take it cuz ur not gonna get the response you want here. 1st: They did not end the event early. The day they ended it this funny little thing called daylight savings happened and by all clocks, yesterday was only 23 hours. 2nd:  Here is a fancy little list of everything that was added. Just because they didn't do the QOL changes YOU want, doesn't mean they didn't. 3rd: Ark 2 is said to be an entirely different game. If you don't like how the devs run this game then either; stop raptoring playing, or don't buy ark 2. I promise you the people posting this update DO NOT CARE if you don't buy it. 

Increased slots on the Industrial Grinder from 60 to 120
Expanded the Tek Cloner register range by 3x
Reduced Tek Surveillance Console Stack Size from 100 to 5
Display a HUD whilst holding H with tek Glove equipped displaying player location and upload timer
Increased Magmasaur’s smelting output by 100%
Enabled auto-harvest on Ankylosaurus
Enabled breeding on Rockdrakes
Enabled breeding on Achatina ;)
Fixed some exploits
Fixed a bug where TEK Stryders and MEKs would not regain health in stasis
Fixed a bug where MEK modules would lose durability when released from cryopod
Two new admin commands: cheat drainwater <number> and cheat drainfood <number>
Fixed a bug where the Dedicated Storage Box would ignore stack modifiers in server config files
Fixed a bug where caused Plant Z to no longer heal dinos
Fixed a bug where Soap would remove textures from some structures
Fixed a bug where Cosmetics on the Shadowmane would not retain their colour

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiefSmellsYou said:

400k earned,  When can we finnaly exspect an anti aimbot/godmode/meshed etc site? And may wipimg all official servers

You sound like you tell people with depression to just smile. Like first, if you bitching no one gonna listen to you. Second, tf does them raising money have to do with it? third, EVERYONE. ON. PVP. CHEATS. Every big tribe. Every single one. I've been in them, they do. You might not see it, but they do. So it will not be fixed because everyone does. Also, yall are raptoring assholes! Why would devs want to fix things for a bunch of raptoring assholes?

2 hours ago, Greeeeeny said:

The day they ended it this funny little thing called daylight savings happened and by all clocks, yesterday was only 23 hours.

First:  The stream was actually 24 hours the day was 25 hours due to clocks rolling back instead of ahead an hour.  Second:  The point he was trying to make is that probably 90% of us that use gen 2 as our home base map got screwed AND ROYALLY.  It is absolutely amazing that so much money was raised for those awesome kids, God knows they deserve it, and I will never debate that fact; EVER!  Where the problem comes in when Wildcard completely and utterly disregards any problem that arises or has arisen in their game FOR YEARS, and when something like the extra life comes up probably close to half the community gets the shaft and there is not even so much as an apology.  So yeah I’m a little ticked about it myself.  

As far as Ark 2 is considered, I completely agree with what joedeadpool said, and so doesn’t A LOT of people out there.  A long time ago this company DID care about the players of their game.  Developers would log into official servers and help people out!  I remember a bunch of times that someone would have a tame stuck in the map and the developers would either come in and ghost it out or if it was killed due to extreme arking  THEY’D REPLACE IT!  They don’t do that anymore.  Guided cryopods have aided in that tremendously, but my point being is that someone from WC would log in and investigate an issue.  The points we try to make with pointing out the unfairness and giving them what for is to keep them accountable, regardless how much it does or doesn’t fall on deaf ears.  With the hope that maybe someday they’ll finally get it!  As far as the QOL update, it wasn’t as bad as it seemed but this is only once out of how many different “QOL” or “balancing” updates that have more often nerfed the crap out of things and completely screwed over one aspect of game play over the other, usually PvE gets shafted for PvP balances.

3 hours ago, Greeeeeny said:

You sound like you tell people with depression to just smile. Like first, if you bitching no one gonna listen to you. Second, tf does them raising money have to do with it? third, EVERYONE. ON. PVP. CHEATS. Every big tribe. Every single one. I've been in them, they do. You might not see it, but they do. So it will not be fixed because everyone does. Also, yall are raptoring assholes! Why would devs want to fix things for a bunch of raptoring assholes?

So pretty much you are admitting on a forum that WC monitors that you’re a cheater or been in cheating tribes?  So in some sense you are in around about way verifying the thoughts of many honest pvp’ers that the servers should just be wiped, because “EVERYONE. ON. PVP. CHEATS”.  Not only that but if that’s the case those people should be banned per the code of conduct right?  There are cheaters in pve as well, and they are reported and the issue is mostly taken care of.  As far as the “bitching”, that has led to changes of the game throughout the years.  With almost 9k hours in the game I have personally seen it change things.  Most of the “complaining” should be considered feedback or something that nobody in this world anymore can handle, is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM!  When some one buys a service or a product they expect a certain level of quality to go into that service or product, and it boils down that here in the last few years a lot of us do not feel Wildcard has delivered on a product that is not necessarily cheap.

On a better note congratulations Wildcard for raising the money you guys did!  That is a pretty awesome amount, if I wasn’t buying a house I might have helped.  Let’s hope for a better one next year and maybe a little bit better event than this year.  We all know you guys can do better with events, we’ve all seen it once upon a time.  If the servers are running top notch, we could probably VERY EASILY get to that 100x multiplier.  The better the servers run the more people are gonna wanna keep it going.  Good luck, and try to make the upcoming events better than they ever have been.  The community will love you for it!

PS- The livestreams are definitely entertaining lol, and I rather enjoyed along with many others.  Thank you for sacrificing a night’s sleep for our entertainment.

Edited by ccz2887
Needed to add a thank you

16 hours ago, Greeeeeny said:

Hey buddy. I'll do you a favor and respond man to man on a few of the points you seem to be mad about. I'd say take it cuz ur not gonna get the response you want here. 1st: They did not end the event early. The day they ended it this funny little thing called daylight savings happened and by all clocks, yesterday was only 23 hours. 2nd:  Here is a fancy little list of everything that was added. Just because they didn't do the QOL changes YOU want, doesn't mean they didn't. 3rd: Ark 2 is said to be an entirely different game. If you don't like how the devs run this game then either; stop raptoring playing, or don't buy ark 2. I promise you the people posting this update DO NOT CARE if you don't buy it. 

Display a HUD whilst holding H with tek Glove equipped displaying player location and upload timer
Fixed some exploits
Fixed a bug where the Dedicated Storage Box would ignore stack modifiers in server config files

No they ended early. Check the rate logs on Dododex. You see exactly when they started and when they ended. The difference is 45 minutes. That's not an DSL error. They were still gaining donations and the rates where still climbing when they turn the rates back to 3x.

23 hours ago, StudioWildcard said:

Linux players can also get their hands on the Proton version by downloading the Steam Beta client and in ARK's steam game properties, make sure you've enabled "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", this will enable the use of Proton. In the future we'll be moving Proton to the default version of the Steam Game for Linux players

Wow, that's awesome news! Proton was already the go to on Linux, because on native Linux the graphics are horrible, but with support it's even better. Good decission to make Proton default for Linux!

On 11/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, elweasel2010 said:

No they ended early. Check the rate logs on Dododex. You see exactly when they started and when they ended. The difference is 45 minutes. That's not an DSL error. They were still gaining donations and the rates where still climbing when they turn the rates back to 3x.

lmao you're trusting dododex for your info? the website that (wildly incorrectly) models the time taken to tame a 150 stryder as 4 minutes when everyone who's tamed them knows it can be well upwards of an hour and also incorrectly states the best taming effectiveness as 91.1% when every stryder can reach a perfect 100. Enough ranting about dododex tho, you're here about extra life. I was there at the very end of it and yeah, it didn't end exactly on the hour, the rates definitely kept going AFTER it was supposed to end meaning you actually got an extra 15-20 minutes of 12x. be grateful you get anything at all every November

Edited by TheTrueSpider

On 11/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, ChiefSmellsYou said:

of all things you could say you could have said "so glad we are doing our part to help thoseless fortunate!" "amazing how much the community made this year!" "180k, thats gotta really make a defference, best part is they are making a gaming room in the hospital" you chose to complain about the game THAT IS LITERALLY SAVING LIVES! gotta love karens complaining that the game is donating to charity

On 11/8/2021 at 11:50 PM, Greeeeeny said:

Fixed some exploits

Hey I don't know if you understand what she ment its about the map itself i'm glad for the kids , but if you are pregnant from queen and 4hrs later you still pregnant , you only have disconnections and rollbacks there is a huge problem. They should fix that with the update it isn't fixed. I din't know about you but we payed for that map so they should fix it. Now its to late couldn't enjoy the x10 and i'm not the only one.