Desmodus Draculae: The Giant Vampire Bat!

TorchuJACK117

Suggestion

The onyc in ark is cool and all... but I've always wanted to fly a giant bat. So here's my take!1402972166_Jamesboth(1).thumb.jpg.979bf84c3d12be6b431d77b953d79692.jpg

The idea was to try to add a flyer with good pvp and utility abilities. I hope you like!

(This is not my art work. Fan made dossier. All credit to original artist.)

Edited by TorchuJACK117
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

103 replies to this server topic

On 11/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

Nobody cares about the size of the real-life version of these creatures.

It's a fantasy game, nothing in it matches reality. 

And yet, there are people that do care.

It is a fantasy game, and yet most (but not all) creatures that are in the fossil record are somewhat in the same order of magnitude of size in Ark.  Yes, some Ark creatures are bigger than what we have evidence of, but rarely magnitudes bigger (with exceptions).

Many submissions have been locked for being fantasy ideas, but many seemingly have passed the test merely by having a name that is in the fossil record even though the idea is pure fantasy.

Since what is proposed here is 20 times the size of the real creature, then I think it is a valid question of whether or not it passes the real test.  It does by the moderators standards, so I guess that is all that really matters, but how far can the envelope be pushed?  Is the name really the only metric for whether an idea is real or fantasy?  We have seen the ideas for the tiniest of insects pass when proposed as being colossal kaiju.  What about if the same was done with microscopic creatures like water-bears?  We could ride around on saddled tardigrades.

Edited by maxplanck58

1 hour ago, Shadowdragon150 said:

We do already have rideable tardigrades, or did you forget the gasbags? Mopsechinicus is a real family of tardigrades, yet clearly the Ark version is far from microscopic. There's also the Beelzebufo which were now believed to actually be only around 23 cm. And also the Dilophosaur which has the opposite problem and is actually smaller than the real thing

You may have noticed the "most but not all" and "with exceptions" part of that opinion.  Well, maybe you didn't.

I did not know that the gasbags were in the tardigrade family, but you are right: the wiki confirms it.  But I am sure that you would agree that the gasbag is clearly as much of a fantasy creature as the drakes, wyverns, manas and griffins.  Again, I think the size discussion is a valid one: there seems to be a defensive reaction to shutting down discussions because (big surprise) people are really passionate about their new creature suggestions and favorites.

Edited by maxplanck58

21 minutes ago, Shadowdragon150 said:

Oh I did, but the point is that nothing is stopping Wildcard from making yet another exception now if they wanted to now is there? The rules said based off a real creature, they don't say scientifically accurate, which again I use gasbags as an example, based of a real creature, yet it's far from accurate 

Indeed - there is nothing stopping wildcard from making whatever they want, even something quite different from the suggestions from the creature that wins.  I am interested in where the line is between a real creature and a fantasy one.  I have seen threads shut down for not being a "real" creature because it didn't have a name consistent with one in the fossil record, but that was a lot closer to a real creature than some of the submissions in the top 5 vote count.  The bat suggested here is a lot closer to a real creature than the insect-giga, true.  But I am interested in where the line is between a "real" creature suggestion and a fantasy one.  I don't think anyone expects scientific accuracy, because we don't have that in most of the game mechanics.  But there is some consistency here and there with the fossil record, and by making a rule of only accepting real creatures, I believe that Wildcard is aiming for something closer to real than fantasy.  I might be wrong about what they mean by "real".

Edited by maxplanck58

On 12/11/2021 at 3:48 AM, TyranntX said:

We already have a bat but you know what? The more animals ahead of Charcharadontosaurus, the better!

Well, the bat we have isn't rideable or even able to be used as a shoulder pet... This one is pretty different. We also have many theropods, many birds... Of different species, like the two bats are. 

But other than that, I like your way of thinking 😁 I hope we can keep the placement we are in right now!

On 12/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, maxplanck58 said:

And yet, there are people that do care.

It is a fantasy game, and yet most (but not all) creatures that are in the fossil record are somewhat in the same order of magnitude of size in Ark.  Yes, some Ark creatures are bigger than what we have evidence of, but rarely magnitudes bigger (with exceptions).

Many submissions have been locked for being fantasy ideas, but many seemingly have passed the test merely by having a name that is in the fossil record even though the idea is pure fantasy.

Since what is proposed here is 20 times the size of the real creature, then I think it is a valid question of whether or not it passes the real test.  It does by the moderators standards, so I guess that is all that really matters, but how far can the envelope be pushed?  Is the name really the only metric for whether an idea is real or fantasy?  We have seen the ideas for the tiniest of insects pass when proposed as being colossal kaiju.  What about if the same was done with microscopic creatures like water-bears?  We could ride around on saddled tardigrades.

I'm going to be brief since the size question has been discussed here a couple of times, but I think there is a difference between a mere size change and and completely making up a creature but giving them a real animal species name. The size for the bat isn't a big stretch when the design is pretty similar to the real counterpart and abilities make sense for the animal it is inspired on, in my opinion. They already gave you the Gasbags example that yeah, seems more fantasy than real although it shares the same genus of real life tardigrades, but if you want a better example of a real life creature that has a huge size difference in ark, look at the lymantria.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:48 PM, Zorafoxx said:

I told myself I wouldn't draw anything this time, but I couldn't resist... 

I've edited my original post with the "dossier" I drew, illustrating the abilities I described there. I'm not great at drawing scary creatures, so don't see it as how I'd like the creature to look (I would like it to be like in the original dossier) but simply as an info sheet about its abilities :D

Omg I love the illustrations!

8 hours ago, Averhine03 said:

This would be awesome! Bats are some really cool creatures, and the idea that I could ride a giant one is amazing. I love the flight path idea especially, considering bats are some of the most maneuverable creatures in the air due to their wings being so much like our hands.

Yeah that's exactly what I had in mind! If it does get in the game it should have different flying mechanics from what we already have when it comes to flyers, not only it makes sense when it comes to the creature but it would make it more unique. Faster turning, good at dodging... 

This concept has really got me hyped! I really hope this makes it into the game because I most definitely need this in my life. Although I have a few suggestions. 

1) If it's going to have the ability to latch onto flyers mid air and ground them I'd highly recommend that this creature take no fall damage otherwise I'd imagine it would die on impact with the ground also I think the latch should be an all terrain attack, similar to how deinonychus can latch onto the sides of larger creatures and pin down the smaller ones, the bat should be able to the same with the addition of the ability to do it mid air and it would just be the same button lastly I think it should be able to pin survivors in a similar manor to the raptor

2) I actually respectfully disagree with whoever suggested it only deal bleed damage when latched onto something, seeing as Desmodus draculae's  modern day descendants (Desmodus rotundus AKA the common vampire bat) have been proven to have a sort of anticoagulant venom which prevents blood from clotting so that it will continue to poor out from the bite the bat inflicts, I'd say it wouldn't be OP for its primary attack to deal bleed damage, in fact I'd say it'd be kinda illogical if it didn't seeing as this an animal that lived off the blood of other creature (plus other creatures like thyla and carno got bleed damage from their respective TLC's so why not give it to a literal flying leech)

3) I think the taming method should be similar to that of a blood stalker in that you can allow it to latch onto you and it'll take blood packs from your inventory if you have them, if not it'll drain you of your health which will still increase taming progress but also kill you

4) I think the screech should stun and dismount instead of disorienting and deafening, I feel like that'd be way more useful in combat and in general, obviously the stun wouldn't be long but maybe like 3-5 seconds during which the player is dismounted and stunned, the tame doesn't respond to whistles and is stunned, if it's a flyer it would indeed fall the duration of that time, it'd essentially be similar to the void wyrm breath effect

5) I'd also suggest a new ability option I call blood vision, it'd basically be like snow owl thermal vison, I think it'd work because the real creature and it's descendants do indeed have the ability to detect body heat, they used it to pinpoint veins and arteries closest to the surface of the skin

6) I was also thinking maybe the ability to cloak itself in a similar fashion to the rockdrake, I think that would totally add to the stealthy aspect

7) lastly I completely agree with the idea of it gaining a buff at night, maybe said buff would give it increased damage, increased damage resistance, increased stamina/health regen but on the flip side it would need a light debuff which could be inflicted by light pets, charge lanterns, flashlight attachments, plant z, basically the reaper kryptonite stuff would have a similar effect on this guy causing the exact opposite of what the night buff would do

but those are just a few suggestions, either way this creature has my vote and full support. This is definitely the one I want in game.

Edited by Vaporex

Dude this is awesome, I came up with a similar idea earlier that may have some cool ideas you could add.

It's called the Vulcanops Draculae, a hybrid of two prehistoric bats (Desmodus Draculae and Vulcanops JennyWorthyae) from the Miocene period. Right off the bat, ( pun intended) I'd like to say that yes, its size is unrealistic. I've taken plenty of creative license because seriously, nobody wants another unrideable bat in ark. Plus, most ark dinos are the wrong size anyway. (Raptor, dilo, etc..) Anyways, its basically a bat the size of a maewing. During the day, it wanders around the map foraging, or hanging from a ledge somewhere. They will behave similar to a tapejara if threatened. At night however, they will silently hunt small creatures, including humans! They are the only wild flyer to be able to pick up players off their mounts. This will actually begin the taming process. If you have a saddle in your end hotbar slot, you can equip the bat with it directly. (This will require very good timing, maybe similar mechanics to being grabbed by a bloodstalker idk.) Once saddled, the bat will tame. In order to keep your new friend, you will have to keep the saddle on it (which has a built in muzzle). If you remove the saddle, the Vulcanops will break free and become wild once again.

When tamed, it can walk/crawl slowly along the ground with an animation like a wyvern, and climb walls kinda like a megalania or dienonychus. (Also it can climb ceilings, how else would it hang down like a real bat?) It's regular attack is a simple bite, maybe with bleed damage, maybe without. It can perform this at any time. Pressing the jump button will allow it to fly. You cannot take off from the ground, only from walls, ceilings, or if your already falling. Unlike other flyers, you must continually press space to flap your wings. (Basically like flappy bird.) You can hover however, simply by holding down the jump button. The alt attack will enable the bat to pick up small creatures, the same as a pteranadon. At night, you can also use his echolocation ability. This is like the parasaur detection, except its got longer range, it only targets in front of you, and it only shows creatures who are moving, allowing smart players to remain undetected by standing still. The bat can swim without dismounting the player, but its very slow and can only go on the surface. Also, its super good at harvesting chitin. Lastly, their nocturnal buff gives them 30% more damage and speed at night. But 30% less during the day.  They can consume any veggies/berries. Plus meat, but not fish. Being partially vampire bats, (remember they are a hybrid creature!) they can also consume blood packs, I'll get into that later.

The Vulcanops saddle will require 400 hide, 200 fiber, and 75 metal. It will slowly become damaged over time, however you can repair it whilst its on your bat. If you allow it to break entirely, your bat will flee, and return to the wild. It will have  1000 durability, and lose 5 every (in game) day you are online. Higher quality saddles will have higher durability. Repairing the saddle costs 1 metal ingot per 25 units. The appearance of the saddle will be a tough covering of hide over the creatures back, with hand and foot holds. (your survivor will lie across its back on their stomach.) Metal bracing will run along the arms/fingers, and a muzzle will cover the bats mouth. (except when being ridden.) It will have a cool looking bridle, through which the player steers the bat.1753204136_VULCANOPSlowquality.thumb.jpg.f669779f75c09be3e43c59b6865d4969.jpg

In terms of stats, probably a couple hundred hp, maybe 30ish bite damage plus bleed, pretty high stamina, maybe 200-300 weight, and in between the ptera and argy in terms of flight speed. Riders can use weapons whenever the bat is not flying. You can shoot people whilst hanging from the ceiling, a wall, or just on the ground. You can also force feed them bloodpacks, which each restore something like 5% of the bats health. It will not consume them on its own.

They could potentially be invisible to turrets at night? Might b kinda op but they would be completely shredded otherwise.

Maybe during the night, they're wings could be completely silent like the snow owl, but during the day they're really loud?

Final idea, let me know if their bleed attack should have a sort of life steal effect. Since they're pretty fragile, it could be cool if their bleed damage regenerates health, seeing as they are vampire bats.

So yeah, let me know what you think. What do you like, what don't you like, etc. There's plenty of time before the next vote to incorporate your ideas!

All in all, they are a creepy bat, they're hard(ish) to tame, and could be difficult to keep, but they are perfect for hit and run night time raids against players foolish enough to venture outside. They could also be good jack of all trades mounts, due to their versatility, they just aren't the best in a direct fight.

-thebrickynz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:37 PM, TorchuJACK117 said:

The onyc in ark is cool and all... but I've always wanted to fly a giant bat. So here's my take!1402972166_Jamesboth(1).thumb.jpg.979bf84c3d12be6b431d77b953d79692.jpg

The idea was to try to add a flyer with good pvp and utility abilities. I hope you like!

On 11/6/2021 at 11:37 PM, TorchuJACK117 said:

I need this creature in the game. I absolutely love bats so a giant one you can ride? Sign me up!

On 12/19/2021 at 1:45 AM, Vaporex said:

This concept has really got me hyped! I really hope this makes it into the game because I most definitely need this in my life. Although I have a few suggestions. 

1) If it's going to have the ability to latch onto flyers mid air and ground them I'd highly recommend that this creature take no fall damage otherwise I'd imagine it would die on impact with the ground also I think the latch should be an all terrain attack, similar to how deinonychus can latch onto the sides of larger creatures and pin down the smaller ones, the bat should be able to the same with the addition of the ability to do it mid air and it would just be the same button lastly I think it should be able to pin survivors in a similar manor to the raptor

2) I actually respectfully disagree with whoever suggested it only deal bleed damage when latched onto something, seeing as Desmodus draculae's  modern day descendants (Desmodus rotundus AKA the common vampire bat) have been proven to have a sort of anticoagulant venom which prevents blood from clotting so that it will continue to poor out from the bite the bat inflicts, I'd say it wouldn't be OP for its primary attack to deal bleed damage, in fact I'd say it'd be kinda illogical if it didn't seeing as this an animal that lived off the blood of other creature (plus other creatures like thyla and carno got bleed damage from their respective TLC's so why not give it to a literal flying leech)

3) I think the taming method should be similar to that of a blood stalker in that you can allow it to latch onto you and it'll take blood packs from your inventory if you have them, if not it'll drain you of your health which will still increase taming progress but also kill you

4) I think the screech should stun and dismount instead of disorienting and deafening, I feel like that'd be way more useful in combat and in general, obviously the stun wouldn't be long but maybe like 3-5 seconds during which the player is dismounted and stunned, the tame doesn't respond to whistles and is stunned, if it's a flyer it would indeed fall the duration of that time, it'd essentially be similar to the void wyrm breath effect

5) I'd also suggest a new ability option I call blood vision, it'd basically be like snow owl thermal vison, I think it'd work because the real creature and it's descendants do indeed have the ability to detect body heat, they used it to pinpoint veins and arteries closest to the surface of the skin

6) I was also thinking maybe the ability to cloak itself in a similar fashion to the rockdrake, I think that would totally add to the stealthy aspect

7) lastly I completely agree with the idea of it gaining a buff at night, maybe said buff would give it increased damage, increased damage resistance, increased stamina/health regen but on the flip side it would need a light debuff which could be inflicted by light pets, charge lanterns, flashlight attachments, plant z, basically the reaper kryptonite stuff would have a similar effect on this guy causing the exact opposite of what the night buff would do

but those are just a few suggestions, either way this creature has my vote and full support. This is definitely the one I want in game.

1) Big yes on no fall damage, even if just when latched onto fliers. The bat would fall on them, so it makes sense 

2) I added the idea of it only inflicting bleeding when latched on my post, but it was suggested from someone else in another platform to me. I agree with you, it makes sense to always inflict bleeding. But I added it anyway as an idea to balance it if needed

3) Agreed 

4) I prefer the disorientation and deafening/not listening to whistles, I think stuns and desmounting are already plenty in the game and people tend to really hate that... but if it were to be added with your suggestion, I personally wouldn't mind. 

Everything else I also agree :) thanks for contributing! 

On 11/6/2021 at 9:37 PM, TorchuJACK117 said:

This would take my vote but WC said actual extinct animals again. 

4 minutes ago, Zorafoxx said:

Desmodus draculae's wingspan is thought to be of 50cm, not 20. But then again I see no problem, if you check out Dinopithecus' dossier it says that the ones found in the Arks are much larger than their fossil records. 

Yes but much larger is like max 2x but this thing is massive and in the wiki it states that it has a 33% bigger wingspan than the common vampire bat witch is 18cms so it means that it must have had a 23,94 cm wingspan