Desmodus Draculae: The Giant Vampire Bat!

TorchuJACK117

Suggestion

The onyc in ark is cool and all... but I've always wanted to fly a giant bat. So here's my take!1402972166_Jamesboth(1).thumb.jpg.979bf84c3d12be6b431d77b953d79692.jpg

The idea was to try to add a flyer with good pvp and utility abilities. I hope you like!

(This is not my art work. Fan made dossier. All credit to original artist.)

Edited by TorchuJACK117
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

103 replies to this server topic

im quite curious....IF say Desmodus has the ability to carry other creatures....what would be the max drag weight it would be allowed to lift?

cause i was thinking perhaps somewhere in the middle of a pteranodon and an argy, i don't think it would be strong enough to lift an anky off the ground, but maybe just strong enough for gigantopithecus and/or a parasaur

heck when would its saddle be unlocked at?

11 hours ago, Lazury said:

Yes but much larger is like max 2x but this thing is massive and in the wiki it states that it has a 33% bigger wingspan than the common vampire bat witch is 18cms so it means that it must have had a 23,94 cm wingspan

I don't know where you saw that. Maybe you read 20 inches and not cm? 

Wiki says 50cm, and so does these websites:

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/desmodus-draculae-fossil-09898.html

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/what-did-giant-extinct-vampire-bats-eat/

And no rule says that "much larger" is at max 2x. Just look at the new dinos coming up, we have a Amargasaurus that shoots elemental spikes and a Sinomacrops with butterfly-like mimicry in its wing pattern. Dinos from the Ark are supposed to be genetically modified and there is no set limit to what those modifications can be 

Edited by Zorafoxx

On 11/10/2021 at 8:45 PM, Bulborb87 said:

im quite curious....IF say Desmodus has the ability to carry other creatures....what would be the max drag weight it would be allowed to lift?

cause i was thinking perhaps somewhere in the middle of a pteranodon and an argy, i don't think it would be strong enough to lift an anky off the ground, but maybe just strong enough for gigantopithecus and/or a parasaur

heck when would its saddle be unlocked at?

I agree with drag weight being in between a ptera and an argy, but leaning more towards the argy rather than an exact middle ground between those 2 

About the saddle though... no idea 😅 I'd take it being on an higher level if it means it'll get some cool and useful abilities though!

4 minutes ago, Zorafoxx said:

I agree with drag weight being in between a ptera and an argy, but leaning more towards the argy rather than an exact middle ground between those 2 

About the saddle though... no idea 😅 I'd take it being on an higher level if it means it'll get some cool and useful abilities though!

yeah, i would say it's saddle could be available around the lvl 50 or 70 range but it also depends on just how good would it be, heck i think a fair base weight stat for it could be 300 this way you can get some mileage out of it without needing to worry about being too heavy for it

20 hours ago, Bulborb87 said:

yeah, i would say it's saddle could be available around the lvl 50 or 70 range but it also depends on just how good would it be, heck i think a fair base weight stat for it could be 300 this way you can get some mileage out of it without needing to worry about being too heavy for it

Yeah, I agree, that's more or less what I would imagine about the weight. Enough to travel without worrying too much about being heavy like you said, but not too much for Desmodus to be considered a tame to carry materials like the argy for example, if they go with the abilities we suggested so far it would already have enough utility to not need that on top of it 

On 11/11/2021 at 13:37, Joebl0w13 said:

A nadie le importa el tamaño de la versión real de estas criaturas.

Es un juego de fantasía, nada en él coincide con la realidad. 

Me encanta la idea,yo creo que cuando active la ecolocalización entre a la visión del murciélago y que no pueda ver pero pueda ver las criaturas

También podrían tener un bufo en la oscuridad como 5% de resistencia y 5% de velocidad. 

Y tener algún tipo de habilidad al volar como la picada del grifo o la del rock Drake  para adherirse a las paredes

16 hours ago, Sanygo said:

Man, i would love for it's color regions to be what i see from the doss image. As in most of the fur(?) being always this midnight black, and only really the face and highlight colors changing. Though if Ark could pull this off, i'm already hyped over a blood red/midnight black color combo

I like the idea of the base being always midnight black with only the highlights of the fur changing, I feel like a group of them with only a different highlight color each would look very aestethically pleasing flying through the sky 😌 although people love vibrant colors, so if it makes it to the game I believe the fur would be a color region. Maybe something like this  - 

Region 0: Fur 

Region 1: Fur highlights (the red part in the drawing)
Region 2: Wing membrane

Region 3: Wing membrane highlights 

Region 4: Face and feet
Region 5: Eyes (not gonna happen, but I'd love for the eye glow to be a region) 

Realistically eyes would be out and face and feet would be 2 separate regions I'd guess. Other option would be face and feet in one and leave the last region for the ears

Hello all. Thank you for voting / supporting and adding ideas. I did not make this dossier nor the original. A friend of mine had throw this together, and I was unaware it was directed from a previous fan dossier. So shout out to the creator. I hope they see this and add to it! Let's try and add a unique new flyer to the game!

On 11/17/2021 at 10:45 PM, TorchuJACK117 said:

Hello all. Thank you for voting / supporting and adding ideas. I did not make this dossier nor the original. A friend of mine had throw this together, and I was unaware it was directed from a previous fan dossier. So shout out to the creator. I hope they see this and add to it! Let's try and add a unique new flyer to the game!

Hey! Thanks for clarifying that. I'd avise you to edit your first post with that information, just in case the creator sees the first post only and not your explanation just now. Either that or use the original dossier and post your ability ideas in text. :) 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:47 PM, TorchuJACK117 said:

Also this is not intended to be "real life" size. The majority of arks creature are not to scale by any stretch of the imagination and the half of them are fantasy creatures. Wildcard takes creative liberties with animals usually for the better. In this case I want to fly a sick bat into battle. So if u feel the way I do vote!

Couldn't have said better, I gave many examples to the guy arguing about this of Ark creatures that don't "obey" to the animal's real size. It really doesn't matter and big yes to wanting to fly a giant bat into battle 😌

On 11/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, Zorafoxx said:

Just added some more ability ideas to my original post. I don't know if we'll have a second vote englobing the top 10 voted submissions again, but if so, so far we are in 👀 just barely, though

Hey we've maintained 6th place. Last time there was a remote for the top 10! Fingers crossed.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:06 AM, TorchuJACK117 said:

Ooh. Grappling onto other flyers mid flight sounds so dope. With the core concept of this bat there are so many cool directions it can go. And I like most of the ideas I see. I love the idea of a screech that suppresses dino abilities and maybe dosorients players. The day / night buff just makes sense. Definitely has the capillary of being a unique flyer! 

Yes! And it's something we don't have yet too, I can imagine it being useful both in pvp and pve, imagine being able to bring a quetzal down with this bat - could be helpful when taming them solo. I will add this to my original post later so it stays on the first page 😊

I think the screech idea definitely has to be in, it's very iconic of a bat. I know if the bat is chosen, Wildcard can't really guarantee to put all our ideas in (if any) but the screech is very appropriate for this animal and could also be useful in pve and pvp, I think it would make total sense that it would prevent dinos from other tribes to answer to whistles for a little bit of time as their hearing would be affected by it

I told myself I wouldn't draw anything this time, but I couldn't resist... 

I've edited my original post with the "dossier" I drew, illustrating the abilities I described there. I'm not great at drawing scary creatures, so don't see it as how I'd like the creature to look (I would like it to be like in the original dossier) but simply as an info sheet about its abilities :D

On 12/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, Sanygo said:

hooooooly hell that updated dossier looks amazing
I'm assuming the ability to hang upside down is strictly without a rider on and is only for "parking" your dino? if so, that's pretty cool

Thank you so much!

About the ability to hang upside down - I think it should be possible while riding them, could be the way to increase stealth at night (to wait before ambushing a player or dino). 

When not riding, it should also be the "go to sleep" animation that Megalosaurus and Shadowmanes have, they would fly up until they can reach a place to hang from (on open areas it wouldn't be possible to sleep). Maybe they'd have to sleep enough during the day to have the stamina regen bonus during the day or something?

On 11/27/2021 at 3:50 AM, CosmicSkeleton said:

Come to think of it while we're at it we could probably make bat guano another fertilizer alternative

That would make sense. Owls are only available in Extinction, so anyone without that DLC can't use owl pellets, in the meanwhile if Desmodus were added with guano as fertilizer we could give that to Onycs as well and make it a more accessible fertilizer alternative

Someone gave me idea to only allow Desmodus to inflict bleeding if he latched onto the target (and not just with a normal bite attack), to make it more balanced. I really like it 

Additionally, no need to have a separate ability to pin flyers down, when we latch onto a flying target and use the screech ability it should be enough to make the flyer fall down from the scare/being disoriented 

Already added those details to my original post but wanted to update it here too :)