Desmodus Draculae: The Giant Vampire Bat!

TorchuJACK117

Suggestion

The onyc in ark is cool and all... but I've always wanted to fly a giant bat. So here's my take!1402972166_Jamesboth(1).thumb.jpg.979bf84c3d12be6b431d77b953d79692.jpg

The idea was to try to add a flyer with good pvp and utility abilities. I hope you like!

(This is not my art work. Fan made dossier. All credit to original artist.)

Edited by TorchuJACK117
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

103 replies to this server topic

On 12/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dramisty said:

This would take my vote but WC said actual extinct animals again. 

Wasn't desmodus an actual species? Also if it's a matter of sizing WC hardly goes for accuracy even with the real creatures. If they did then Amargasaurus, deinopithecus, and giganoto would be smaller.  

On 12/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, imahuntya said:

i love this suggestion. but the bison is just too big to pass up on IMO.

You can vote for both :) at least on this round! 

On 12/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, RanzhanK said:

I'm not sure if he will win, but I made mine concept art

Desmodus Draculae.png

This looks absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for contributing to the submission🤩

1 hour ago, maxplanck58 said:

And yet, there are people that do care.

It is a fantasy game, and yet most (but not all) creatures that are in the fossil record are somewhat in the same order of magnitude of size in Ark.  Yes, some Ark creatures are bigger than what we have evidence of, but rarely magnitudes bigger (with exceptions).

Many submissions have been locked for being fantasy ideas, but many seemingly have passed the test merely by having a name that is in the fossil record even though the idea is pure fantasy.

Since what is proposed here is 20 times the size of the real creature, then I think it is a valid question of whether or not it passes the real test.  It does by the moderators standards, so I guess that is all that really matters, but how far can the envelope be pushed?  Is the name really the only metric for whether an idea is real or fantasy?  We have seen the ideas for the tiniest of insects pass when proposed as being colossal kaiju.  What about if the same was done with microscopic creatures like water-bears?  We could ride around on saddled tardigrades.

We do already have rideable tardigrades, or did you forget the gasbags? Mopsechinicus is a real family of tardigrades, yet clearly the Ark version is far from microscopic. There's also the Beelzebufo which were now believed to actually be only around 23 cm. And also the Dilophosaur which has the opposite problem and is actually smaller than the real thing

4 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

You may have noticed the "most but not all" and "with exceptions" part of that opinion.  Well, maybe you didn't.

Oh I did, but the point is that nothing is stopping Wildcard from making yet another exception now if they wanted to now is there? The rules said based off a real creature, they don't say scientifically accurate, which again I use gasbags as an example, based of a real creature, yet it's far from accurate 

• Thanks 2

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, Shadowdragon150 said:

Oh I did, but the point is that nothing is stopping Wildcard from making yet another exception now if they wanted to now is there? The rules said based off a real creature, they don't say scientifically accurate, which again I use gasbags as an example, based of a real creature, yet it's far from accurate 

This. 

These are the submission guidelines. This creature meets them. 

• One thread per creature
    • If someone has already made a thread with your creature suggestion, feel free to upvote the thread and post your own ideas and thoughts into that existing thread
  • Must be a real-world extinct/prehistoric creature (dinosaurs, mammals, reptiles, etc)
  • Developers are disqualified from posting their own ideas

The creative spin people put on the submission doesn't matter. WildCard will do with it as they see fit if it's selected anyway.

4 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

Indeed - there is nothing stopping wildcard from making whatever they want, even something quite different from the suggestions from the creature that wins.  I am interested in where the line is between a real creature and a fantasy one.  I have seen threads shut down for not being a "real" creature because it didn't have a name consistent with one in the fossil record, but that was a lot closer to a real creature than some of the submissions in the top 5 vote count that do have the name of a real creature.  The bat suggested here is a lot closer to a real creature than the insect-giga, true.  But I am interested in where the line is between a "real" creature suggestion and a fantasy one.  I don't think anyone expects scientific accuracy, because we don't have that in most of the game mechanics.  But there is some consistency here and there with the fossil record, and by making a rule of only accepting real creatures, I believe that Wildcard is aiming for something closer to real than fantasy.  I might be wrong about what they mean by "real".

Indeed, however even the fossil record is changing all the time and we simply don't know (or will ever know) true accuracy to most prehistoric creatures. Like how at one time it was believed that Megalodon was over 100 ft in length. At the end of the day Ark is a game and what most attracts people isn't scientific accuracy but rather how a creature looks and how it affects gameplay

heres my Cent on it... I LOVE IT! we don't have many bats so why not so i want to give it a list of stuff ill give it

Saddle:
    (Prim)

• 20 Obsidian 
    • 250 Pelt (not hide.. pelt)
    • 150 fiber
    • 15 wood

Passive effects: 

• Blood lettings: Heals and gains stamina when it bites Targets but target losses that in return 
    • AOE Flight: Works like griffin or tappy
    • Dough: when you hit the key/Joystick a set amount of times you can dash in the air kinda like a mana but less so
    • Climbing: can climb around like Drake and can hang upside down
    • Night/cave hunter: gains extra stats on basically everything at night
    • Special poop!: a new poop "Volatile Fences" due to the areas they live/nest their poop has a high amount of Nitrate and sulfur making it into a deadly explosive if uses right (can be turned into gunpowder and propellent, Uses on Monkey or uses on the bat with bombing attack
    • Sleeping: Able to make them sleep upside down or the ground But it makes them heal 8x faster and looks cute UwU
    • Sensing: Will show a Health icon too tell you the health and torpor of a target (like Magnifying glass)
    • Pack buff: Alphas deal more damage and drink more blood the flock gains extra speed. it turns into crack head speed at night

Attacks

• Bite: Deals Ok damage but gives a nasty infection that dose damage overtime based off maxed heath (Like mega rabies but it can spread to humans and dinos takes more time with dinos and gain a immunity for 3 mins after infection (Last 1 min), Also bite gives blood letting buff
    • Sonic Blast: Can change Tones of your screech (Like Stego plates). Hypersonic: Gives the sonic Emitter effect like strider (Disables Special attacks) High pitch: makes some animals run away and turns players deaf for 20 secs (Works like a Z-fruit in terms of sound but works like yuty fear roar) Shock Pitch: Stuns/slows targets down, grounds flyers and makes Targets take more damage
    • Dive attack: When diving down (like griffin) they deal more damage (1.5x more)
    • Wing blast: Able to blow wind back at targets to knock them back 
    • Poop bomb: when there Poop is dropped at a height it has the tendency to EXPLODE! it does little damage to buildings but can set targets on fire and suffocate them 

How to Tame

• Do you enjoy a nice joyride?? Nope too bad. you Must wait till Day and when its day time they will sometimes go up on cliffs/ground and take a nice nap. then you come on by and try to feed it (Meats, prime/mutton Leech blood, Bloodpacks, Yellow Kibble). once you do it will be distracted by eating and you must hop on its back and feed it (Like a Voidvyerm). it will try to get you off its back but you can stop it by petting it and feeding it. if it turns night while taming it will tame faster but you will need to care for it more. 
    • Thanks 1

well considering that they occasionally travel in pairs and the obvious inspiration coming from the mythical ahool andthe dossier mentioning they feed they're babies with regurgitated blood i'd say breeding is guarenteed

unless of course we passive tame the babies by feeding them blood packs

Edited by SHAWMISERIX

8 hours ago, Lazury said:

I think this must be a shoulder pet considering its wingspans is like 20 centimeters 

Most of Ark's creatures are modified from their real world counterparts in some way, either by abilities or appearance, so having this guy being big enough to carry a survivor isn't much of a stretch