I think the Time has come!!

DmpTrkDrvr

I'm leaving "The Island" for good. I have played the same server since Dec 28th and  It's gotten pretty stale. so I've decided to try the center map.  

MY issue is Don't ya think it's time WILDCARD enabled dino uploading from Official servers..  

I have a multitude of high level animals I would love to take back to Single player with me .   Also I really don't want other server players to benefit from my hard work by claiming my dinos once I'm gone..

WILDCARD . I'm Officially asking to have dino uploads from official servers enabled so we can save our dinos and take them to the single player game.. 

Even if just for a temporary  amount of time.  

Thanks. .  

If your taking them to single player, just spawn in dinos of the level you tamed them at and dotame them, then add experience until they're at the level you want them to be.

Personally I wouldn't worry about your old dinos, there's 150's up for grabs on the Centre, and if using them has gotten stale then go and find some new ones, properly start again from scratch.

4 hours ago, DmpTrkDrvr said:

I'm leaving "The Island" for good. I have played the same server since Dec 28th and  It's gotten pretty stale. so I've decided to try the center map.  

MY issue is Don't ya think it's time WILDCARD enabled dino uploading from Official servers..  

I have a multitude of high level animals I would love to take back to Single player with me .   Also I really don't want other server players to benefit from my hard work by claiming my dinos once I'm gone..

WILDCARD . I'm Officially asking to have dino uploads from official servers enabled so we can save our dinos and take them to the single player game.. 

Even if just for a temporary  amount of time.  

Thanks. .  

I realize they are just pixels on a screen, but I get attached to some dinosaurs.  When I remember special or harrowing events....the Dino or mount is a vital part of the story. 

I know the limitations for uploading were placed due to the extensive ability to manipulate the system, but that shouldn't affect transfers to single player. No other players can be impacted by this. Since the process is already in place, it shouldn't be particularly difficult to allow this. 

The ability to upload itself shouldn't have been disabled. Downloads (high level manipulated dinos) were the problem, not the uploads.  (And they could solve the download problem by just instituting a server difficulty based cap on dino levels. Too high?Don't download. Too many stat points? Don't download... Though with baby dinos this might be a bit difficult now since they exceed the usual level caps sometimes...)

They mentioned in one of the last few digests that they were working on it, so I hope it's only a matter of weeks to go. I know I'd like to send some of the really old dinos my friends gave me to single player and free up some yard space. (And to put them in the zoo I built for them in single player :) )

I really understand you wanting the very dinos you've played with, and that forcetaming really isn't the same. What's happening here is that all players are being punished for the few who just can't seem to stop themselves from cheating :/ I'm guessing there is some sort of limitation in the coding to prevent Wildcard from enabling only uploads, or there is another reason it may affect gameplay in a negative way or I'm sure they would have enabled it already!

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Kimsie said:

I really understand you wanting the very dinos you've played with, and that forcetaming really isn't the same. What's happening here is that all players are being punished for the few who just can't seem to stop themselves from cheating :/ I'm guessing there is some sort of limitation in the coding to prevent Wildcard from enabling only uploads, or there is another reason it may affect gameplay in a negative way or I'm sure they would have enabled it already!

It is possibly hackable, like any other cheats/hacks out there.  It someone managed to load from a private/dedicated server or SP, but changed the data to make it look like it came from official, that would open a huge hack.

I know people think that coding is easy and requires little skill or effort, but they often have no concept of exceptions, error handling, testing, and such, especially in complex software.  Each possible path(from a simple binary or true/false point of view) can double code complexity and the testing required.

For total security, they might have to do something like allowing uploads and downloads between official servers only, and between private/SP/dedicated only; that mean no transfers from official to private/SP/dedicated.  The code for official-to-official would be isolated and only distributed to official servers, never to private/SP/dedicated, which would have its own code.  I would go so far as to say that I would completely change the file structure and store it in an entirely different way than what would be done for private/SP/dedicated, and encrypt the files; that way, hackers/crackers have no access to the code or file structure.  And the transaction would only be server side(since it is official).  However, that is a little more work that I make it sound like.

I know some say, just put in a validation, and I would say, again, that it is not always that simple; it could be, but I doubt it.  Anytime you expose code and data structures, you create a security risk.  Anytime you accept data from another system/source, you create a security risk; like the good old days of SQL injection attacks through a simple web page (though I bet it still works somewhere) .

Personally, I would rather see them working on finishing the content, and then moving into a beta phase with optimizations and bug fixes.

2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

It is possibly hackable, like any other cheats/hacks out there.  It someone managed to load from a private/dedicated server or SP, but changed the data to make it look like it came from official, that would open a huge hack.

I know people think that coding is easy and requires little skill or effort, but they often have no concept of exceptions, error handling, testing, and such, especially in complex software.  Each possible path(from a simple binary or true/false point of view) can double code complexity and the testing required.

For total security, they might have to do something like allowing uploads and downloads between official servers only, and between private/SP/dedicated only; that mean no transfers from official to private/SP/dedicated.  The code for official-to-official would be isolated and only distributed to official servers, never to private/SP/dedicated, which would have its own code.  I would go so far as to say that I would completely change the file structure and store it in an entirely different way than what would be done for private/SP/dedicated, and encrypt the files; that way, hackers/crackers have no access to the code or file structure.  And the transaction would only be server side(since it is official).  However, that is a little more work that I make it sound like.

I know some say, just put in a validation, and I would say, again, that it is not always that simple; it could be, but I doubt it.  Anytime you expose code and data structures, you create a security risk.  Anytime you accept data from another system/source, you create a security risk; like the good old days of SQL injection attacks through a simple web page (though I bet it still works somewhere) .

Personally, I would rather see them working on finishing the content, and then moving into a beta phase with optimizations and bug fixes.

Oh, I understand coding. I've been coding for 20 years and have studied a masters in game programming. That said, I'm aware that from what we are exposed to, there is no way I can know how they made the exact coding. Allowing for transfer between different servers open up a whole can of worms where even with the same settings, two servers may have completely different difficulties as to taming certain animals or procuring resources. Thus it is no wonder they disabled it. I don't think transfers would be desirable on official servers, not even between different officials, but I agree that it should be up to private servers what settings they want (and it is). Single player, I see no reason to ever ban from downloading. That way, even if there is a way to change the data to make it look like it came from an official server even if it didn't, it doesn't matter. If you can never download to an official server, and all private servers choose for themselves, then where the data comes from is irrelevant as it is very easy to prevent downloading.

The actual issue to discuss, as I see it, is whether there could be a separation of enabling just the one, only uploading and not downloading. And my point was just that, as GamerPerfection seems to join me in, the coding prevents enabling of only one. In that case, it's no wonder both are disabled, and I'm sure they're working on decoupling them so that they can enable just uploading.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Kimsie said:

Oh, I understand coding. I've been coding for 20 years and have studied a masters in game programming. That said, I'm aware that from what we are exposed to, there is no way I can know how they made the exact coding. Allowing for transfer between different servers open up a whole can of worms where even with the same settings, two servers may have completely different difficulties as to taming certain animals or procuring resources. Thus it is no wonder they disabled it. I don't think transfers would be desirable on official servers, not even between different officials, but I agree that it should be up to private servers what settings they want (and it is). Single player, I see no reason to ever ban from downloading. That way, even if there is a way to change the data to make it look like it came from an official server even if it didn't, it doesn't matter. If you can never download to an official server, and all private servers choose for themselves, then where the data comes from is irrelevant as it is very easy to prevent downloading.

The actual issue to discuss, as I see it, is whether there could be a separation of enabling just the one, only uploading and not downloading. And my point was just that, as GamerPerfection seems to join me in, the coding prevents enabling of only one. In that case, it's no wonder both are disabled, and I'm sure they're working on decoupling them so that they can enable just uploading.

The second part was not directed at you(hence the extra spacing), but more with you in mind, as you seem to get it(hence the Rep); apparently I need a better disclaimer.  It was more for those that think everything is a one line fix or a simple just turn A on and leave B off.  :)

Currently, for private servers, there is only 1 setting to turn the downloads off, and if you don't use that, then you can turn off character, dino, and/or item transfers downloads.

If WC never plans on allowing official to official transfers, then I am in agreement.  Being able to upload and transfer to non-official would be a go, with a lot less hassle.  So, depending on what WC is planning could simplify or complicate things.  I have a habit of starting with worse case scenario and then going from there; and it was a way to demonstrate that simple is not always as simple as some people would think, no matter what adjectives they throw around.

I've let this post be!

Though I thought I'd state My reason for this request is 2 fold.. 

1. I have a multitude  of max level  breeding dinos I'd like to take to single player to continue breeding in perpetuity.. 

2. My Time has a value to me, I've never been one to spend time on something and just walk away from it.   The server I'd like to leave Is a Official server, so everything has been done the real way.  And to just leave them to be claimed, killed or abandoned is just not something I'd ever do..  

Hopefully there is a way that this can be accomplished and if not..  well..  Let's be Optomistic and not imagine the if not..

Have a great day.. 

If they enabled upload they could have my base today.

Would take a (long) break as now I am just holding space and keep feeding my dinos.

And no, I do not want to leave them there for others to claim.

Enough thieving on the servers as it is.

I'd kill them first.

But yeah, upload enabled: I would take my best dinos, I upload them, kill the rest, destroy all my materials in the vaults and boxes and just let the timer run out.

Let someone else build there and maybe come back when ARK has much more content added.

Archived