Shantungosaurus cripplus, the hot-headed herbivore with a short temper!

Suggestion

The Shantungosaurus is the creature I would like to see in ARK.
My rough idea for it's abilities is reduced damage and the ability to break creature's legs for a specific amount of time based on kibble egg group
(basic = 2 minutes, simple = 1 minute, regular = 50 seconds, exceptional = 30 seconds, extraordinary = 20 seconds All Flyers = debatable) Another idea for the Shant's leg breaking ability is how it affects quadrupeds and bipeds, the leg break lasting longer on bipeds.
My idea for taming it is that you can only tame it by feeding it crops that are in crop plots
I hope you like my idea for the shantungosaurus!

Because of some feedback I've gotten from both people on discord, and people in the comments I have decided to make a second idea for the taming method. Another taming method that could work for the Shant is taming it like a Gacha, in which you can simply drop veggies on the ground and kite the Shant over to them and it will eat them from the ground.

WILD
Shantungosaurus cripplus is one of the most terrifying creatures to encounter on the ARK, even if it is a herbivore.

It's furious stomps can cripple any dinosaur hit straight on by it, even being able to prevent flyers from taking off for a short period of time.

Not only that, but the Shant is one of the most hot-headed herbivores out there, you think it's a carnivore! Even approaching it will cause it to charge wildly at you and what's worse, it's found in herds! Once you're detected the whole herd will charge wildly at you, throwing headbutts, stomps and tail slams your way!

DOMESTICATED
Due to it's aggressive nature I don't think it's possible to feed a Shantungosaurus by hand and it's thick hide protects it from all forms of sedatives.

If you manage to thin a single Shant from the herd, I have heard myths that a Shant has such an affinity for vegetables that it will eat them straight from the crop plot!

Some people have apparently managed to domesticate a Shantungosaurus that way.

A tamed Shant could be invauluable to warring tribes as their crippling stomps can temporarily slow down creatures to be picked off by tribe's other creatures.
They're also useful for more peaceful tribes as their large size and beefy physique can make them incredible pack mules and can effectively protect caravans.
Shants can also steal crops from other tribes, if you somehow manage to sneak one into an enemy's base.

shantun5.jpg

Edited by Sarahtosaurus

21 replies to this server topic

1 minute ago, WitheringSoul113001 said:

i made a submission for this beast too, if a mod can combine the posts!

i am also the original submission maker back when we had the creature vote for lost island, which our shant got to 16th place on the final day

i would however say. im not a fan of your taming method, it is interesting but not something i can see working out in game, not like how mine could with tranq ballistas, what your suggesting would need a bunch of coding id assume

and im not a fan of the leg break/leg break tiers, and how long of a cooldown will the shant have?

8 hours ago, Sarahtosaurus said:

seeing as the leg break ability could be extremely overpowered, I would say about a similar cooldown to the parasaur's roar.

Yea thats what i had been saying

Cus on my post for the shant, its more for para honk for like a fear roar for anything half its size & lower level than it, the stomp just deals massive dmg rather than legbreak and as for taming i have it set as tranq ballista bolts

edit: just realized ur the OG poster n replying to my comments lol

Edited by WitheringSoul113001

This is my submission for Shantungosaurus puer magnus

I imagine them being massive beasts of burden that can carry a LOT of crap but being relatively slow. Since we already have big herbivores that serve similar purposes I wanted these things to be kinda unique; so I gave them an upgradable saddle.

You could equip the saddle with storage boxes. this would give a weight reduction on resource items. You could also put a smithy or forge on it to give the saddle those crafting functions. And maybe it would even be possible to equip the saddle with thick metal plates that almost cover the shant completely. This way the already bulky shantungosaurus gets even tankier. But since the andrewsarchus was just revealed, this niche may already be filled.

What do you think?

Shant(1).jpg

The Shantungosaurus is a behemoth of a creature, standing at the same size as the mighty T-Rex, and possibly just
as formiddable. In the wild the Shantungosaurus is protective of it's herbivore brethren, if it sees any creature
hurt one of it's "herd" it will attack, not caring how large or how powerful the creature is, it has been seen
doing combat with Rexes, even attacking, despite the odds being stacked against it, the mighty Giganotosaurus.
This creature cares possibly too much about the lives of it's fellow herbivores. Some might call it suicidal, but I
think it's rather noble.

Once you've tamed this mighty beast it can change stances much like it's smaller cousin. Firstly, a harvesting stance
this stance allows your new friend to harvest just about any organic material you'd like it to, metal? stone? wood? berries?
Shantungosaurus has your back, with the carry weight to boot. Boxes built into the saddle allow you to organize all the materials
you've collected, a handy feature indeed! 
But then, of course, we have the attack stance, much like Iguanadon, the Shantungosaurus will stand on it's hind legs, increasing it's
speed, and it's damage, now being able to stab enemies with it's sharp thumb, this is not it's most powerful attack however. The Shantungosaurus
can also stomp enemies, raising it's legs up and smashing unsuspecting enemies below, and dealing amazing damage to anything that gets in the way. 
Finally, the attack stance allows the Shantungosaurus to make use of fellow herbivores, the herbivores know that Shantungosaurus protects them,
and so now, they will repay that, and fight alongside you for 3 minutes. You can rally up to 1 - 10 herbivores depending on the size of the 
creature. 
Due to it's size, most creatures will not attack Shantungosaurus unless provoked, only creatures that match Shantungosaurus in size, or are bigger
will attempt to do battle with this beast.

tumblr_inline_o774vtDIAG1qdikaa_1280.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, Sarahtosaurus said:

Hey Withering Soul, I’ve been doing some thinking and chatting with some people and discord and maybe instead of kibble egg tiers, the broken leg duration would depend on whether the dinosaur is bipedal, or quadrupedal. The doing more damage to bipedal creatures. What do you think?

Sorry been busy, realistically they would do more damage to quadrupeds, less maneuverable than bipeds, bipeds could avoid the attack much easier than a quadruped, but The biped would suffer more, being on two legs, so 30sec for quad and 40 for biped, if they can even make it separate times 

Shantungosaurus is as big as a rex, maybe bigger

it would walk on 2 legs, ran on all 4, and stood in place on all 4 while running

the shant has a charge up, like the dire bear or woolly rhino, knocking over trees

RMB. Stomp Does major damage to any target at the cost of a ton of stamina, say shant on a rex, the shant stomps on a rex with 1200hp, the rexs hp drops to 900, but the shants stam goes from 3000 to 800(just ranges, not going off of official or boosted)

LMB. Tail Slap
Slap: massive knock back and minimal dmg

Hold LMB. Tail Slam
Slam: has a slowing effect and deals massive damage to the enemy

X. a bite the bite would deal a small amount of bleed due to the beak

Left CTRL. Switches stance from normal to a soaking stance for bullets

C. Alpha call: the alpha call puts strength into each of the shants in the pack or herd, which would put fear, like the parasaurs honk, into dinos half its size and smaller, as long as the shant is a higher level

WILD: The Shantungosaurus, while normally traveling solo is fierce as is, Its as big as a rex! These things are tough, some of the thickest hide I have ever felt! The shants are very protective of its territory if it comes into contact with a mate or their food source is low, if alone and there is plenty of food around, the shant is very friendly, sometimes even protects you and yourtames, can even give you a temporary ride! the shants in a herd, whether its all shants or several herbivores, are the tanks of the herd, and will always protect the weaker, rexs tend to stay clear of herds with more than one shant, a herd with 2 or more shants get a damage boost and damage resistance

TAMED: once tamed you should feel proud, the shants are no easy tame, you cant knock them out like normal dinos as darts bounce off and have a chance of hitting the person who fired them, to tame the shant you must use tranq covered harpoons to pierce its hide while mounted to a ballista turret a tamed or wild shant has a herd bonus, and is a great soaker for turrets as the saddle is on on the side of it and the shant protects the rider while soaking the turrets, the shant also provides a confidence boost to other tames, mostly herbivores that are allied

Ingame Information:

Tamable: Yes

Ridable: Yes

Saddle: Shantungasaurus Saddle (lvl 90)

Breeding: Yes

Egg: Extraordinary Kibble

Poop: XL

Size: Large

Diet: Herbivore

Group: Hadrosaurian Reptiles

Temperament: Neutral (While Alone) Aggressive (With a shant of the opposite gender, or lots of food)

Torpor Immune: No

Bossfight Entering: Yes

Stats (lvl 1 tamed):

Health: 1200

Stamina: 900

Oxygen: 750

Weight: 1500

Melee: 35 (bite) 50 (headbutt) 150 (Stomp) 135 (Tail slam) 15 (Tail Slap)

Speed: 120

Abilities:

- Deflects bullets while in the soaking stance

- 3 passenger seats, 1 rider seat

Found: Forests and large grasslands, such as the highlands on Ragnarok or the redwoods

Maps: All but  Ab

Taming Method: Tranq Ballista Bolts

Favorite Foods:

Extraordinary Kibble

Drops (when killed):

Thick Hide(New Resource) 

Meat

Prime Meat

Fits Through: Behemoth Gate

Grabbed by: Tuso

Trapped by: Chain Bola, Large Bear Trap

Damages up to: Stone (Stomp)

Variants:

X-Shantungasaur (Swamp)
R-Shantungasaur (Rockwells Garden)

14E05B9D-DF1C-4C00-A0E1-39AF3E06E527.png

372E3F0D-C829-45DA-90E1-6AE86E63DBF6.png

Just now, WitheringSoul113001 said:

Shantungosaurus is as big as a rex, maybe bigger

it would walk on 2 legs, ran on all 4, and stood in place on all 4 while running

the shant has a charge up, like the dire bear or woolly rhino, knocking over trees

RMB. Stomp Does major damage to any target at the cost of a ton of stamina, say shant on a rex, the shant stomps on a rex with 1200hp, the rexs hp drops to 900, but the shants stam goes from 3000 to 800(just ranges, not going off of official or boosted)

LMB. Tail Slap
Slap: massive knock back and minimal dmg

Hold LMB. Tail Slam
Slam: has a slowing effect and deals massive damage to the enemy

X. a bite the bite would deal a small amount of bleed due to the beak

Left CTRL. Switches stance from normal to a soaking stance for bullets

C. Alpha call: the alpha call puts strength into each of the shants in the pack or herd, which would put fear, like the parasaurs honk, into dinos half its size and smaller, as long as the shant is a higher level

WILD: The Shantungosaurus, while normally traveling solo is fierce as is, Its as big as a rex! These things are tough, some of the thickest hide I have ever felt! The shants are very protective of its territory if it comes into contact with a mate or their food source is low, if alone and there is plenty of food around, the shant is very friendly, sometimes even protects you and yourtames, can even give you a temporary ride! the shants in a herd, whether its all shants or several herbivores, are the tanks of the herd, and will always protect the weaker, rexs tend to stay clear of herds with more than one shant, a herd with 2 or more shants get a damage boost and damage resistance

TAMED: once tamed you should feel proud, the shants are no easy tame, you cant knock them out like normal dinos as darts bounce off and have a chance of hitting the person who fired them, to tame the shant you must use tranq covered harpoons to pierce its hide while mounted to a ballista turret a tamed or wild shant has a herd bonus, and is a great soaker for turrets as the saddle is on on the side of it and the shant protects the rider while soaking the turrets, the shant also provides a confidence boost to other tames, mostly herbivores that are allied

Ingame Information:

Tamable: Yes

Ridable: Yes

Saddle: Shantungasaurus Saddle (lvl 90)

Breeding: Yes

Egg: Extraordinary Kibble

Poop: XL

Size: Large

Diet: Herbivore

Group: Hadrosaurian Reptiles

Temperament: Neutral (While Alone) Aggressive (With a shant of the opposite gender, or lots of food)

Torpor Immune: No

Bossfight Entering: Yes

Stats (lvl 1 tamed):

Health: 1200

Stamina: 900

Oxygen: 750

Weight: 1500

Melee: 35 (bite) 50 (headbutt) 150 (Stomp) 135 (Tail slam) 15 (Tail Slap)

Speed: 120

Abilities:

- Deflects bullets while in the soaking stance

- 3 passenger seats, 1 rider seat

Found: Forests and large grasslands, such as the highlands on Ragnarok or the redwoods

Maps: All but  Ab

Taming Method: Tranq Ballista Bolts

Favorite Foods:

Extraordinary Kibble

Drops (when killed):

Thick Hide(New Resource) 

Meat

Prime Meat

Fits Through: Behemoth Gate

Grabbed by: Tuso

Trapped by: Chain Bola, Large Bear Trap

Damages up to: Stone (Stomp)

Variants:

X-Shantungasaur (Swamp)
R-Shantungasaur (Rockwells Garden)

14E05B9D-DF1C-4C00-A0E1-39AF3E06E527.png

372E3F0D-C829-45DA-90E1-6AE86E63DBF6.png

Added another pic, someone drew this during the lost island submission for mu shant post, but i liked his/her choice for the saddle

5F5CD48E-7D8E-42B0-AE93-DE499A8464C9.jpeg

I absolutely LOVE that saddle design for the Shant, it looks like a mix between a diplo saddle and a platform saddle it's so cool looking!

and Yeah I do like your idea on the biped vs quadruped leg break timer, but I'd wanna hear your thoughts on flyers because most flying creatures have very brittle and thin bones but grounding a flyer for more than 30-40 seconds seems absolutely busted.

6 hours ago, Sarahtosaurus said:

I absolutely LOVE that saddle design for the Shant, it looks like a mix between a diplo saddle and a platform saddle it's so cool looking!

and Yeah I do like your idea on the biped vs quadruped leg break timer, but I'd wanna hear your thoughts on flyers because most flying creatures have very brittle and thin bones but grounding a flyer for more than 30-40 seconds seems absolutely busted.

Well, I personally doubt theyll be able to do separate break times for separate types of dinos, but id say 30sec for flyers, maybe 20, seeing as they are technically bipeds, wings being their arms, plus u gotta think the alien critters like bloodstalker, legbreak on it would have to be different 

as for the legbreak cooldown, id say a 5-10min cooldown

Yeah I see what you mean, wc probably won’t spend the time setting different times for the same status effect for every creature in the game for one single new creature. As for the cooldown timer, I think it’s kinda long but it makes sense why, when you really think about how strong an ability like leg break could be, 10 minutes makes sense. But I think that maybe the cooldown would instead be 5 minutes but you’d have to charge up the full power stomp, like the magmasaur.

Let me know your thoughts!

1 hour ago, Sarahtosaurus said:

Yeah I see what you mean, wc probably won’t spend the time setting different times for the same status effect for every creature in the game for one single new creature. As for the cooldown timer, I think it’s kinda long but it makes sense why, when you really think about how strong an ability like leg break could be, 10 minutes makes sense. But I think that maybe the cooldown would instead be 5 minutes but you’d have to charge up the full power stomp, like the magmasaur.

Let me know your thoughts!

That could deffo work

would temps or location change how fast it charges up?

15 hours ago, Sarahtosaurus said:

maybe it could depend on how many vegetables are in it’s inventory, and the higher the charge % gets the more vegetables it consumes, kind of like a daeodon.

It could be kinda hard to code in though but I’m no expert, let me know your thoughts!

No not necessarily hard to code

just like preferred foods almost for taming, so shant could like the cyan kibble, charges fastest when in grass plains like highlands on rag or the desert on rag, but charges slower in snow n extreme wooded areas like any redwoods and has that kibble, but slowly charges when it has any berry that isnt mejo that it’s eating

Edited by WitheringSoul113001

Would be the size of a rex or slightly larger... Perhaps similar to Morellatops, it would be passive flee unless in groups... Would have a roar similar to the Parasaur where it would scare off creatures, but the same size creatures that Yutyrannus scares away... Low damage output, but very tanky when on all fours... Higher damage output when bipedal, but leaving its soft stomach vulnerable... Can be found nesting in the wild, but when its valuable eggs are picked up, they put an effect on the player similar to when eating rare flowers... Further, if you want to tame one of these creatures, they must be lured in by the presence of a stolen egg dropped by the player, and are immune to torpor unless within the vicinity of their eggs... Once tamed, Shantungosaurus can carry immense weight and its saddle comes equipped with a large sack on either side that can house plant species x, as well as a large water tank on its back for irrigation... The player may need to take the Shant out for an occasional soak in the river to refill the water tank once in a while...

On 11/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, Sw00per5633 said:

Would be the size of a rex or slightly larger... Perhaps similar to Morellatops, it would be passive flee unless in groups... Would have a roar similar to the Parasaur where it would scare off creatures, but the same size creatures that Yutyrannus scares away... Low damage output, but very tanky when on all fours... Higher damage output when bipedal, but leaving its soft stomach vulnerable... Can be found nesting in the wild, but when its valuable eggs are picked up, they put an effect on the player similar to when eating rare flowers... Further, if you want to tame one of these creatures, they must be lured in by the presence of a stolen egg dropped by the player, and are immune to torpor unless within the vicinity of their eggs... Once tamed, Shantungosaurus can carry immense weight and its saddle comes equipped with a large sack on either side that can house plant species x, as well as a large water tank on its back for irrigation... The player may need to take the Shant out for an occasional soak in the river to refill the water tank once in a while...

so, i like a lot of the idea, i mean me personally i think it should be more of a soaking tame, like golems, but, your taming method would be difficult, gotta factor in the torpor run, but otherwise i love the x species sacks, tho they should be crop plots, and love the water tank, i personally think tho that the taming method should be tranq tipped harpoons, get on a ballista turret, and fire away, damage should vary per method of attacking too, so a headbutt or bite would be lower dmg but cause knockback(like the diplos just causes u to lose 10% of hp) or bleed, and a stomp or tail slap/slam would cause the most damage between legbreak(slowing) or a stun, the rider should sit on the side so when the shant is soaking the rider is safe, and should have a multi platform saddle design, if the player wants it, otherwise its pretty much the same idea as mine