Titanoceratops, The Anti Giga Siege Beast

DILONG

Suggestion

My submission for the next Ark vote is Titanoceratops scutigerulus, a massive powerhouse of a ceratopsian capable of easily destroying defenses, breaking through metal dino gates like a battering ram, ignoring all placed traps, and fighting off Ark’s deadliest theropod the Giga. Through a labor of love I’ve designed not just a dossier but actual in game quality concept art for this animal.

Abilities: 

It’s main two damage abilities are dealing high amounts of damage to both creatures of higher drag weight (scaling up as the drag weight scales) and dealing high damage to gates and doors up to metal behemoth gates. The trade off for dealing damage to metal is that it must consume raw metal (around 5 to 10 metal per 5 seconds, it allows for a 30 second window to damage metal and has a cool down that lasts for around a minute) through a stance change that makes it slower as a trade off similar to the Magmasaurs’s smelting ability minus the smelting. While it does mediocre damage to metal structures in this state it does high amounts of damage to doors and dino gates making it effectively a battering ram.

As for it’s Giga slaying abilities, it will be able to resist it’s gnash and deal higher damage to it than other creatures due to it’s increased drag weight damage. It’s also particularly well protected from the front having a high damage resistance to both it’s frill and legs, this paired with the anti bleed effect and high health make it a great defense against Ark’s largest and deadliest theropod.

It’s other prime function is acting as a tower shield for large dinos up to the height of a rex, it’s great for effectively tanking huge amounts of bullets and explosives with little damage. In addition when multiple Titanoceratops are near they gain a herd buff that increases the damage resistance and gives a buff to nearby saddleless dinos, it however does not effect dinos with natural armor like the Reaper and Shadowmane. It can also pivot in place similar to a Rock Golem allowing it to defend against attackers from any angle.

Other major abilities of the Titanoceratops are the resistance to all placed traps such as bear traps or spike walls, explosives placed on the ground also deal less damage to it. When the herd bonus is active the eyespots on it’s frill appear and light up similar to the plate change on the TLC Stego. The rider sits on a saddle latched onto the back of it’s frill allowing for a high vantage point across the battlefield (I’m still toying with the concept of adding a second rider on it’s back as a protective gunner). As for gathering it’s a fairly basic gatherer of wood, thatch, and berries but has a very high weight and health making it a good safe pack animal.

The specific attacks are a horn swing that does a high amount of damage, a “stance change” that transitions it into it’s metal damaging mode, and a short ram attack that thrusts the animal forward for a high knock back attack good for pushing away enemies and damaging doors. 

Wild:

Titanoceratops can be found around mountainous regions usually around high concentrations of metal either alone or in a small group, they are fairly peaceful unless provoked or attack similar to Dire Bears. They can easily contend with many of the region’s predators like rexes and sabertooths although they are ignored by most small predators. They will ignore you while wearing ghillie however they will become aggressive if approached too closely. In the wild they also cannot damage metal but can damage stone structures.

Taming:

In order to tame a Titanoceratops you need either a catapult or cannon to knock it out, likely on the back of a Paracer or placed in a trap. They’re not difficult to kite as they’re not very fast so that can be a good and less expensive option but for those looking for a trap they need to use metal structures, bear traps are ill advised as they essentially destroy them while walking over them and completely ignore it’s effects. As for taming food you will need Exceptional kibble or various crops and berries, they need a lot of food and Narcotic so pack a fair bit as this tame can wake up fairly quickly. Once tamed they will act as a beast of burden, a powerful siege beast and living battering ram, a counter to various large creatures including Gigas, and potentially a boss fighter.

Weaknesses:

While the Titanoceratops is exceptionally powerful it has it’s drawbacks, it can only fit through behemoth gates as it’s size is on par with a rex or mammoth. It’s particularly slow and while it can turn in place it still can’t out turn the faster mounts like raptors, in addition it’s a very slow swimmer and is not advisable to use around wet environments. It’s backside is also fairly unprotected, even with a saddle hitting it from behind will deal massive amounts of damage to it. It’s also very vulnerable from above and can be taken out by fliers with ease. The rider perched on the high saddle is vulnerable to being grabbed by fliers and to sniper fire, being a particularly easy target. It’s also fairly weak to fire weapons, flamethrowers, fire arrows, wyverns, and fire pitch catapults will deal lots of damage to the creature more so than others.

Final Notes:

I wanted the Titanoceratops to fill the niche other ceratopsians in Ark should have filled, Trikes and Pachyrhinos are particularly weak in game and it bothers me that such powerful animals are ignored in favor of carnivores. I wanted a ceratopsian that could defeat carnivores without breaking a sweat and being large powerhouses players would use late game. These animals in real life were strong enough to fight off tyrannosaurs and were true spectacles of both raw power and incredible diversity, they were truly the most impressive ornithischians to have existed. 

I also wanted to suggest a powerful and impressive creature that people would enjoy, something both striking and utterly massive. It was also a chance to flex my art skills at designing an Ark creature with both accurate anatomy and the signature Ark style. I have talked in the past about possibly applying for a job at Wildcard as a creature concept artist and wanted to prove to myself that I was able to design something both devs and players would enjoy, I do not think I will apply as I still have a lot of learning to do however this experience has been quite a trip and I am happy that I got to share my labor of love with this wonderful and creative community.

I hope you all enjoy and if there’s any suggestions or ideas for this leave them down in the comments.

OnFire944 made a short video with a size comparison between it and the other ceratopsians in game, it’s a really nice short video summary on some of this creature’s abilities. I highly recommend you check it out. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uziSb-umk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by DILONG
  • Like 7

126 replies to this server topic

Nope all good on this one, anything that has to be used to counter Gigas (while I like the idea of it) it creates another jump in power that is hard for other creatures to content with, I think our goal should to be avoiding creating that kind of gap in power between animals.

Again I like the idea of almost all the animals suggested but this one is going to a hard pass for me despite the design being well done. 

I fill like you could have the saddle be a ballista. That way we could have a faster version of the platform saddle creatures turrets. It could also act as a double saddle. One person on the ballista one person controlling the creature itself. I do have to admit it is pretty cool but we all the ideas that are slowly coming to the carcharodontosaurus I have to vote him.

10 hours ago, StrandedAndStoopid said:

So where between a quarter and half the suggestions are “randomsaurus- gigs rival”. What makes this different to the point it’s in first?

whats wrong with not so well known creatures being added to ark, a large majority of arks real life creatures are not so well known. secondly this creature is not just a giga rival. its a siege beast.

I feel like no matter if it can or can not kill a giga as long as it is somewhere in between Rex and Spino level or even in between Rex and giga as long as it is one of the strongest creatures this would be sick the idea of having a giant trike that can take on most things and is still real is insane 

this is my vote

I would honestly be hyped to see this ingame as well how it can be the first Herb that packs a punch, mainly cause I watched Rex's easily kill a Trike even with a group around it still get's killed when in RL the Trike would normally come out on top and the rest often either backing off or worse, seeing this I give it my vote (If I can) to this dino in hopes to see something that can really put up a fight against ark's T-rex.

Yea they make the gigs insta rage. I’m he rhino also is a anti giga. I had said “ half the submissions are “randomsaurus- the anti giga” what makes this different?” Well someone responded by saying it’s a siege Dino. Cool something that 1/3 of player types appreciate. It’s about useless for PVE and console single players( ppl on console that go single player cuz servers 1. We need to pay to play on servers 2. 10fps is ok if ur breeding in sp but this is the average frame rate in a console server. I prefer the 30 I get in sp. so good to know 1/3 of players like this!

On 11/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, DILONG said:

Maybe? I really don’t think I’ve heard of Kentrosaurus being used as a Giga counter

On 11/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, ShaydeofArcana said:

My personal opinion I DEFINITELY BELIEVE this is an S TEIR creature that should be added to Arc. Herbivores don't really get enough love in my opinion, once you get past a certain point in the game herbivores kinda become obsolete as carnivores become your main go to for adventuring, caving, and fighting guardians. There aren't really any big endgame herbivores to tame

ARK is meant to be crawlingwith challanges that want to kill you. its in the loreof ark, Helena stated that the reason why the island has carnivore:herivore ratio of 2:1 isbecause theARKs are designed to testsrvivors to the limit to choose the absolute best to help save earth. sure there arent many end game herbivores (other than theris and amargasaurus sounds like itwill have a chalanging taming method that will makeit an end game creature.) because the ARKswere notmeant to have gentle giants. 

On 11/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, Umber0010 said:

Great art, but anything intended to counter/battle Gigas at all is a hard no from me.

Literally all the Gigantosaurus has going for it is combat. It's stamina is terrible, it's immobile, it has no utility. Literally all it does is fight. So if you have a creature that counters it, then nobody's going to use the giga. People are just going to use the thing that counters it.

bro a giga counter would be epic, yes the giga will be left in the dark but a lot of other creatures have also been left in the dark such as then kentro and the diplocaulus. And plus it will probably be let in boss battles so it'll be like having a giga in the boss arena.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, Kazaanh said:

Alright, so why do people vote for another Trike?

We have 2 already and 1 is not even used at all ( Pachyrhinosaurus ), and could use some TLC.

Because A. It’s not another trike, B. because both in game ceratopsians are terribly weak especially the Pachyrhinosaurus, and C. because there’s a huge variety of ceratopsians and the one I’m suggesting is anatomically unique compared to both trike and pachyrhino.

• Facepalm 1

On 06/11/2021 at 19:40, DILONG said:

Meu pedido para a próxima votação da Arca é Titanoceratops scutigerulus, uma grande potência de um ceratopsiano capaz de destruir defesas facilmente, rompendo portões dinâmicos de metal como um aríete, ignorando todas as armadilhas colocadas e lutando contra o terópode mais mortal de Ark, o Giga. Por meio de um trabalho de amor, desenvolvi não apenas um dossiê, mas uma arte conceitual de qualidade de jogo real para este animal.

Habilidades: 

Suas duas principais habilidades de dano são lidar com grandes quantidades de dano a ambas as criaturas de maior peso de arrasto (aumentando conforme o peso de arrasto aumenta) e causando altos danos a portões e portas até portões gigantescos de metal. A compensação para causar dano ao metal é que ele deve consumir metal bruto (cerca de 5 a 10 metal por 5 segundos, permite uma janela de 30 segundos para danificar o metal e tem um resfriamento que dura cerca de um minuto) por meio de uma postura mudança que o torna mais lento como uma troca semelhante à capacidade de fundição dos Magmasauros menos a fundição. Embora cause danos medíocres às estruturas de metal neste estado, ele causa grandes danos às portas e portões dinâmicos, tornando-o efetivamente um aríete.

Quanto às suas habilidades de matar Giga, ele será capaz de resistir a seu gnash e causar mais dano a ele do que outras criaturas devido ao seu aumento de dano de peso de arrasto. Também é particularmente bem protegido na frente, tendo uma alta resistência a danos tanto no babado quanto nas pernas, isso combinado com o efeito anti-sangramento e alta saúde o torna uma ótima defesa contra o maior e mais mortal terópode de Ark.

It’s other prime function is acting as a tower shield for large dinos up to the height of a rex, it’s great for effectively tanking huge amounts of bullets and explosives with little damage. In addition when multiple Titanoceratops are near they gain a herd buff that increases the damage resistance and gives a buff to nearby saddleless dinos, it however does not effect dinos with natural armor like the Reaper and Shadowmane. It can also pivot in place similar to a Rock Golem allowing it to defend against attackers from any angle.

Other major abilities of the Titanoceratops are the resistance to all placed traps such as bear traps or spike walls, explosives placed on the ground also deal less damage to it. When the herd bonus is active the eyespots on it’s frill appear and light up similar to the plate change on the TLC Stego. The rider sits on a saddle latched onto the back of it’s frill allowing for a high vantage point across the battlefield (I’m still toying with the concept of adding a second rider on it’s back as a protective gunner). As for gathering it’s a fairly basic gatherer of wood, thatch, and berries but has a very high weight and health making it a good safe pack animal.

The specific attacks are a horn swing that does a high amount of damage, a “stance change” that transitions it into it’s metal damaging mode, and a short ram attack that thrusts the animal forward for a high knock back attack good for pushing away enemies and damaging doors. 

Wild:

Titanoceratops can be found around mountainous regions usually around high concentrations of metal either alone or in a small group, they are fairly peaceful unless provoked or attack similar to Dire Bears. They can easily contend with many of the region’s predators like rexes and sabertooths although they are ignored by most small predators. They will ignore you while wearing ghillie however they will become aggressive if approached too closely. In the wild they also cannot damage metal but can damage stone structures.

Taming:

In order to tame a Titanoceratops you need either a catapult or cannon to knock it out, likely on the back of a Paracer or placed in a trap. They’re not difficult to kite as they’re not very fast so that can be a good and less expensive option but for those looking for a trap they need to use metal structures, bear traps are ill advised as they essentially destroy them while walking over them and completely ignore it’s effects. As for taming food you will need Exceptional kibble or various crops and berries, they need a lot of food and Narcotic so pack a fair bit as this tame can wake up fairly quickly. Once tamed they will act as a beast of burden, a powerful siege beast and living battering ram, a counter to various large creatures including Gigas, and potentially a boss fighter.

Weaknesses:

While the Titanoceratops is exceptionally powerful it has it’s drawbacks, it can only fit through behemoth gates as it’s size is on par with a rex or mammoth. It’s particularly slow and while it can turn in place it still can’t out turn the faster mounts like raptors, in addition it’s a very slow swimmer and is not advisable to use around wet environments. It’s backside is also fairly unprotected, even with a saddle hitting it from behind will deal massive amounts of damage to it. It’s also very vulnerable from above and can be taken out by fliers with ease. The rider perched on the high saddle is vulnerable to being grabbed by fliers and to sniper fire, being a particularly easy target. It’s also fairly weak to fire weapons, flamethrowers, fire arrows, wyverns, and fire pitch catapults will deal lots of damage to the creature more so than others.

Notas Finais:

Eu queria que os Titanoceratops preenchessem o nicho que outros ceratopsianos em Ark deveriam ter preenchido, Trikes e Pachyrhinos são particularmente fracos no jogo e me incomoda que animais tão poderosos sejam ignorados em favor dos carnívoros. Eu queria um ceratopsiano que pudesse derrotar carnívoros sem suar muito e sendo grandes potências que os jogadores usariam no final do jogo. Esses animais na vida real eram fortes o suficiente para lutar contra os tiranossauros e eram verdadeiros espetáculos de força bruta e incrível diversidade, eles eram realmente os ornitísquios mais impressionantes que já existiram. 

Eu também queria sugerir uma criatura poderosa e impressionante que as pessoas gostassem, algo impressionante e totalmente massivo. Foi também uma chance de aplicar minhas habilidades artísticas ao projetar uma criatura da Arca com anatomia precisa e o estilo característico da Arca. Já falei no passado sobre a possibilidade de me candidatar a um emprego na Wildcard como um artista de conceito de criatura e queria provar a mim mesmo que sou capaz de projetar algo que tanto desenvolvedores quanto jogadores gostariam, não acho que vou me candidatar, pois ainda tenho muito para aprender, no entanto, essa experiência tem sido uma viagem e tanto e estou feliz por poder compartilhar meu trabalho de amor com esta comunidade maravilhosa e criativa.

Espero que gostem e se houver alguma sugestão ou ideia para isso deixem nos comentários.

OnFire944 fez um pequeno vídeo com uma comparação do tamanho entre ele e os outros ceratopsianos no jogo, é um pequeno vídeo realmente bom resumo sobre algumas habilidades desta criatura. Eu fortemente sugiro que você confira isto. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uziSb-umk&feature=youtu.be

Creio q o Titanoceratops poderia ser maior q o pachyrhino e um pouco menor q o Triceratops, entretanto seu escudo da cabeça poderia ser maior q o escudo do trike bem como  os seus chifres .

I would like to suggest to make its saddle something like the turret of a tank (can be the Ark’s RPG turret or minigun turret), the idea is to not leave it totally unprotected from the back, and not enough dinos have saddles with projectiles (such as the Tropeognathus), so a tank-like saddle would be very fun to use (specially with a tame that’s pretty much a tank without a turret.

(the pictures are from an old game called Dino D-Day)

A1E62A5D-A94A-48D3-81E6-BBB47C13BF53.jpeg

25588327-7FA3-49DF-B2D5-D60ECFED1849.jpeg

AB4CF2CB-B472-42EC-90D6-8206581C1CD0.jpeg

12 hours ago, Drehg said:

Ditch the anti giga, ditch the insane size increase. Have it slightly larger than the trike like it's supposed to be. Tankier with some siege use, maybe a mobile mortar attached to its saddle? A charge the flings creatures out of the way or impales larger ones for bleed?

Definitely have it be territorial to survivors.

Tamed with a rocket to the head, followed by hand feeding it narcotic while it's stunned for a second.  Or he'll have it slightly omnivorous and have it tame with giga hearts or something insane if you are going to make it insane

Something a little less "I want a God killer" and more "I want something interesting with utility"

The “Giga killer” was more or less just to gain more attention since a lot of people liked the Giga counter idea, I do however do not want this creature to be tiny like the Trike. I wanted this thing to be on par with the other large dinos like rexes, I don’t want another situation like the Trike or Pachyrhino where it’s small, weak, and can be killed in a few bites. I did also flesh out it’s utility as a slow but powerful tower shield/battering ram with anti bear trap/spike wall capabilities and the ability to deal higher damage towards creatures of a higher drag weight. It has it’s weaknesses like an unarmored backside, slow speed and turn, and high vulnerability to fire. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, ElMike99 said:

I would like to suggest to make its saddle something like the turret of a tank (can be the Ark’s RPG turret or minigun turret), the idea is to not leave it totally unprotected from the back, and not enough dinos have saddles with projectiles (such as the Tropeognathus), so a tank-like saddle would be very fun to use (specially with a tame that’s pretty much a tank without a turret.

(the pictures are from an old game called Dino D-Day)

A1E62A5D-A94A-48D3-81E6-BBB47C13BF53.jpeg

25588327-7FA3-49DF-B2D5-D60ECFED1849.jpeg

AB4CF2CB-B472-42EC-90D6-8206581C1CD0.jpeg

That’s an interesting idea but the Titanoceratops is more reminiscent of a Tower shield/Battering ram, it’s more of a medieval weapon of war compared to a tank despite it possibly being quite tanky. I wanted something to kinda fit that medieval/viking theme, also we kinda already got a tank/atv with the Andrewsarchus.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, ShaydeofArcana said:

My personal opinion I DEFINITELY BELIEVE this is an S TEIR creature that should be added to Arc. Herbivores don't really get enough love in my opinion, once you get past a certain point in the game herbivores kinda become obsolete as carnivores become your main go to for adventuring, caving, and fighting guardians. There aren't really any big endgame herbivores to tame, Brontos can be easily tamed at a fairly low level as soon as you get access to crossbows, same guys for the pachy and diplo. The only herbivorous seige dino option is the Titanosaurus which is practically impossible to tame in single player mode and very challenging to tame even with tribemates to help you (and you only get to keep it for 24 hours). The first major long term tame people aim for is typically a trike and the titanoceratops feels like a nice nostalgic throwback. 

I do believe that Giga's need a counter people wouldn't be giving this creature so much attention otherwise. There are two major sides to this argument the tribes that don't have gigas and want to protect themselves from those who do and those who have gigas and are concerned or afraid of the threat this creature could pose to them. In my opinion that there should be a viable counter for everything in pvp. For every yin there should be a yang. Gigas have their flaws but currently the only real counter for a well leveled Giga is another Giga or various assortment of smaller carnivores (my personal experience). Giga's don't really have anything to fear and for the longest time they've been pretty unchallenged, it would be nice to see the Giga have an equally worthy adversary on the arc.

Wild Gigas are also at time problematic for tribes or even single players that want to inhabit or build in certain areas but don't have the means to tame or deal with the local gigantosaurus. This isn't to mention how people like to use wild gigas to grief other players and tribe's bases on pve servers. The power a giga grants a tribe in pvp also tends to lead to a lot of toxic behavior, we all have probably encountered that one guy or that one tribe that tamed a giga and proceeded to take it to the beach so they could massacre new players or other tribes with it. So from that perspective having the titanoceratops that could give those toxic tribes pause or use even just to retaliate and fight back with would be a VERY GOOD THING.

And then there's the matter of theme. True its a Norse themed map but frankly a giga or any true dinosaur that's already in game is no more Norse themed than the titanoceratops.

I look forward to watching these two epic dinos duel from the skies, you have my vote.

youre first point is a good one intil you go to that last sentence. "the fist major long term tame people aim for istypically a trike and the titanoceratops feels like a nostalgic throwback" that means the 2 long term tames are ceratopsians and alot of the points against this is "another ceratopsian, we need diversity' which i agree with to an extent, no I dout it will look the exact same like they say it is, but we need diversity in long term herbivores, so far raiding herbivores are theri, trike (do ppl soak turrets with trikes?) turtles (its clear i dont play PvP but do you use turtles?)

youre second arguement is, gigas need a counter. Yes I fully agree with this or else they're syco-maniacs thaat are the ultimate definition of power, do we want this NNOOO! but in the current game, are gigas the ultimate definition of power? not necissarly (are they? i dont pvp) they currently have a counter, they may not be labeled "kentrosaurus- the way to make a giga instantly rage" but they are in thew game. have you seen the memes about how rhinos are used to make gigas rage? I used a  tek bow to dispose of extra breeding gigas when i  combined colors on gen2. the tek bow disposes of them quickly, what wasthat 10 shots at most? I think half an elements worth of shards is a fair deal to destroy a giga, aspecially with the gen2 shards biome. and lastly we do have creatures that destroy gigas, not to the extreme but can definatly destroy a single giga, noglin, sneak one around a giga and the rider is dead, you saw syntacs video where this happened, right? rhino, full charged run will insta rage the giga. lastly kentros, use one to deal recoil and make it rage and the rest will be bitten. one shotted, but so is the giga, the giga takes so much recoil, it will not survive. 

gigas used to greif, use  a deino or galli or a flyer to lure it. bleeding the giga is one of the ways to deal with high level wild gigas with ~100k hp. or u can use the trick with the raft that lets you drown the giga, take it to deep water and then deload it while its head is under and come back, you find alot of hide  and meat, as well as a giga heart. 

used toxicly to destroy bobs. fair p[oint yea the bobs just need to tame a titanoceratops. I fully dont beleive in bobs ability to tame a beastthat likely has a dangerous taming method. they have better chances if they go to the north to tame a rhino or progress to the point they can tame a couple of kentros. 

Ditch the anti giga, ditch the insane size increase. Have it slightly larger than the trike like it's supposed to be. Tankier with some siege use, maybe a mobile mortar attached to its saddle? A charge the flings creatures out of the way or impales larger ones for bleed?

Definitely have it be territorial to survivors.

Tamed with a rocket to the head, followed by hand feeding it narcotic while it's stunned for a second.  Or he'll have it slightly omnivorous and have it tame with giga hearts or something insane if you are going to make it insane

Something a little less "I want a God killer" and more "I want something interesting with utility"